IT Department Warned Me Against 'Rooting' Today

ModestMuse

Reaction score
I'm getting a company Droid either Friday or Monday (whenever it comes in, but it will be a very very long weekend if I have to wait until Monday to receive it... but the company is paying for the phone and contract, so it's hard to complain). Today the girl in the IT department, with whom I'm friends with, told me that we aren't allowed to 'root' our Droids. I had previously talked to her about it, so she knew I wanted to. Her phone is 'rooted', but she had one of her "friends" do it for her. She pretty much told me no one else is allowed to 'root' their phones because Verizon won't service it if there is a problem.

I smiled and acknowledged her warning, but I have a terrible poker face and she knew I was probably going to 'root' it anyway. If there's a problem, I'll restore it before giving it to them to service.

Good story :byeBB:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Exactly.... As long as you unroot or just take out the sdcard; how would they know you rooted.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm getting a company Droid either Friday or Monday (whenever it comes in, but it will be a very very long weekend if I have to wait until Monday to receive it... but the company is paying for the phone and contract, so it's hard to complain). Today the girl in the IT department, with whom I'm friends with, told me that we aren't allowed to 'root' our Droids. I had previously talked to her about it, so she knew I wanted to. Her phone is 'rooted', but she had one of her "friends" do it for her. She pretty much told me no one else is allowed to 'root' their phones because Verizon won't service it if there is a problem.

I smiled and acknowledged her warning, but I have a terrible poker face and she knew I was probably going to 'root' it anyway. If there's a problem, I'll restore it before giving it to them to service.

Why did I know that was how this story would turn out? :rofl3: Welcome to your newest obsession, ModestMuse!

Reaction score

This is what I like to hear. Hope everyone roots smooth.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good grief!! How in the world did she say that with a straight face?? "Do as I say, not as I do". ;)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What a great first post. Welcome to the forums!

Looking forward to seeing you in the "omg I bricked my droid" thread
icon12.gif

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Im waiting for said coworker to post here and recognize the OP.

:D

THAT would be epic.

OP
M

ModestMuse

Reaction score
What's the consequence if one is caught rooting their company Droid?

Meh, not much... I guess the only issue would be if it was damaged, in which case, the cost of a new phone would come out of my pocket. But that is the same risk anyone who 'roots' their phone takes.

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's the consequence if one is caught rooting their company Droid?

Depends on the company and it's policies. I know of a few that would consider that grounds for termination. It's really no different than getting around a company firewall to watch YouTube videos of use Facebook.