IT Department Warned Me Against 'Rooting' Today

baniels

Reaction score
That's true. It sounded like you were saying that removing the SD card alone would hide all evidence of root. A rooted phone without an SD card will still be rooted.

Exactly.... As long as you unroot or just take out the sdcard; how would they know you rooted.

I don't understand how removing the SD card would do any such thing.

The files that contain rooting evidence are stored on the SD card, specifically update.zip and your Nandroid backups.

atlharry

Reaction score
I wonder if she visits this board... if she does, now you got two problems.

1) She knows you're gonna root.
2) You're on the hook for sexual harassment now (not yet, but don't elaborate on the hawtness and definitely NO pics!)

Sorry, too many cases of companies (or schools) using internet postings against their employees/students. Especially if you use your company computer to browse this site!

Oh, and I recommend downloading these... (you're gonna have to find them)

RSDLite
VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf
USB Drivers from Motorola

Last edited:

bllarkin

Reaction score
Hahaha, that's a good catch! I'm consistently disappointed in her non-nerd-ness... You would think a computer science major would be into doing more of that stuff on her own. She into web programming, but she hasn't really get into that much good stuff on her Droid, just 5 wallpapers, with like no apps :wacko:

At least she's hawt :p
That's a common misconception. IT and computer science are very much unrelated. CS majors are primarily programmers and developers, and I know quite a few computer science majors that couldn't troubleshoot a hardware issue on their computer to save their life.

I am a computer science (associate's degree) and web development (bachelor's) major, but I have been in IT for about 5+ years. I have to say, though some things I learned in CS have helped me understand how things interact in the system, they have been little to no help in my day-to-day work. Most of what I know and utilize day-to-day I learned from just breaking things and trying to fix them, my 5 years in the industry, and a passion for problem solving.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am a computer science (associate's degree) and web development (bachelor's) major, but I have been in IT for about 5+ years. I have to say, though some things I learned in CS have helped me understand how things interact in the system, they have been little to no help in my day-to-day work. Most of what I know and utilize day-to-day I learned from just breaking things and trying to fix them, my 5 years in the industry, and a passion for problem solving.

+1, I have two degrees in Computer Engineering, and I can think of one or maybe two classes I've taken over my 5.5 years of schooling that has actually applied to understanding why things do and dont work. Everything I learned about hardware and software troubleshooting I learned on my own tinkering.

zakany

Reaction score
I have a CS major on my team and he thinks I'm odd for overclocking my gaming rig. Heh. I've overclocked every computer I've had starting with my Mac LCIII. Had I known about hardware hacking, I might have done the same to my Commodore 64.

It's a hobby.

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
If I just got a Droid, one, I wouldn't try to root it for a couple weeks so you know what's what on a stock phone AND two, I would let it do the new update first anyway.