Is there any way to clear a bad ESN on Verizon???

OP
T

Tkcatch

Reaction score
Yeah, that was my feeling. He actually purchased it from someone else, and received it blacklisted. I wasn't sure if there was any way to clear it. Glad I asked before committing to anything.

Anyone looking to sell an Incredible??? LOL

Who is selling it? I may interested in it. I know it is worthless for phone use but I would like it for spare parts especially since the amoled display in it is going by by

I actually saw it on eBay, but it's been sold already. There are quite a few of them on there with bad ESN's.

freddie

Reaction score
I assume what these people are doing is activating phone lines to receive the phones, and selling the phones without ever activating them on the phone line..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I assume what these people are doing is activating phone lines to receive the phones, and selling the phones without ever activating them on the phone line..

ok well they still have to pay for the line for 2 years so idk what good thats doing them

HarshReality

Reaction score
Ive actually visited a store with a receipt of purchase and had an ESN cleared and activated.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ive actually visited a store with a receipt of purchase and had an ESN cleared and activated.

yea but most people with droids with bad ESNs dont have the receipt so your case it really doesnt sound like a bad ESN

HarshReality

Reaction score

yea but most people with droids with bad ESNs dont have the receipt so your case it really doesnt sound like a bad ESN

I didnt say it was a Droid ;) My reference was to purchase of a second hand phone which at the time I was with Sprint and the phone was a Centro purchased off eBay. Turned out the previous owner had it blacklisted because of the owed overdue balance. Once I showed the transaction notes from my card and the eBay purchase they simply freed the phone so I could use it on my account. Of course as I said I had to goto a store here to do it as over the phone isnt the easiest way to verify things.

I understand the methodology behind blacklisting ESNs by a company but honestly dont follow the outright fear people have over gettng a flagged one. Some act like its a timebomb your playing hot potato with and your the one holding it waiting for it to go off and tell you you have just wasted your money and time. Truth be told carriers are going to get their satisfaction one way or another.. the bill will get paid or they will splash paint all over your credit report. They dont really care at all about the phone or who uses it as long tas they get paid.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I didnt say it was a Droid ;) My reference was to purchase of a second hand phone which at the time I was with Sprint and the phone was a Centro purchased off eBay. Turned out the previous owner had it blacklisted because of the owed overdue balance. Once I showed the transaction notes from my card and the eBay purchase they simply freed the phone so I could use it on my account. Of course as I said I had to goto a store here to do it as over the phone isnt the easiest way to verify things.

I understand the methodology behind blacklisting ESNs by a company but honestly dont follow the outright fear people have over gettng a flagged one. Some act like its a timebomb your playing hot potato with and your the one holding it waiting for it to go off and tell you you have just wasted your money and time. Truth be told carriers are going to get their satisfaction one way or another.. the bill will get paid or they will splash paint all over your credit report. They dont really care at all about the phone or who uses it as long tas they get paid.
Ain't gonna happen on the VZW network at all.

Woehoss

Reaction score

A phone being blacklisted and a phone being turned off due to a past due balance are two very different things. The "blacklist" is for lost/stolen phones, and only the account holder can remove a phone from the list. If they did an insurance claim, then only the insurance company can remove it from the list. If it simply got turned off because they didn't pay their bill and their lines were cancelled, then you can still activate the device on another line. As long as it isn't currently active on another active line. No clearing of the ESN necessary. The stores don't have that capability anyway, if it works it works, if not it doesn't.

In the case of the original poster, the phone cannot be activated until it has first been activated on the line it was purchased for. The ESN is locked until the Terms and Conditions of the contract for the purchasing mobile number are accepted. If they are not accepted, the phone cannot be activated. And the people who originally purchased the phone will probably get charged the full amount for the phone for not accepting the contract, since the discounted price is conditional to signing a two-year contract. So it really is a bad idea to buy a phone from ebay that says "bad ESN", no matter what the circumstances. You'll just out yourself a lot of money most likely.

EMiezio

Reaction score
I think I may be out of luck

I just bought my husband a Droid on ebay that said the ESN was clean, when he went to get it activated today they said it did not have a clean ESN. I realize now we should have checked the ESN before purschasing, but is there anything we can do?

Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I just bought my husband a Droid on ebay that said the ESN was clean, when he went to get it activated today they said it did not have a clean ESN. I realize now we should have checked the ESN before purschasing, but is there anything we can do?

Thanks

File a complaint with ebay and paypal (which I hope you used)....

atthehop

Reaction score
I have given up buying anything on eBay. Too many con artist/liers are on it and I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

rcjames

Reaction score

Thanks

Is it illegal for me to say this? If so help me and advice me but. Cricket is not not verizon company and will flash these phones to their phone. Cricket is offering a android package (3g network) for 55 dollars. Craiglist if you do a search at you're area and there is cricket coverage, they shouldn't charge you over 100 or consider rip off for flashing. Droid x being flash no matter bad esn or good cost less then 100 some places here cost 75 for full flash also we can do it for free by doing research. Cricket is a good company for bad esn and for boost mobile. I'm still paying and tied with 2 year contract with droid x but actually 1 year because i am able to upgrade in one year and i keep my phone and i'm done with contract but from there i start another 2 year contract i dubt it though. dancedroid

Unlimited $55 plan
includes
talk
long distance
text
voicemail
caller ID
picture messaging
video messaging
call waiting
3-way calling
mobile web
call forwarding
data backup
international text
Android Market
html web browsing
mobile email
Google Mobile Service
plus
free shipping
no overages
no catch

add to cart

You pay $55 per month, period. No monthly data fee required. Other carriers charge up to $30 a month in data fees. At Cricket it's simple: get unlimited talk, text and data and use your Android Smartphone to stay connected, anywhere within Cricket's nationwide coverage area.

You will have the freedom to travel with access to mobile email, full HTML browsing and exclusive Android features including Google Mobile Services and apps from Android Market.
Plus, you get caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, international text, video and picture messaging, 411, mobile web, 3-way calling and data backup.

Get an unlimited Android Smartphone plan today with no additional fees, no contracts and no catch.

Plan Features
Coverage
US Long Distance
UNLIMITED
Included Minutes
Anytime Minutes
UNLIMITED
Connectivity
UNLIMITED
Nationwide Roaming Minutes
Available Add-on
Night and Weekend Minutes
UNLIMITED
Plan Features
3-Way Calling
Included
Call Forwarding
Included
Call Waiting
Included
Caller ID
Included
Data access with no extra fees
Included
Data Backup
Included
International Text
UNLIMITED
Mobile Email
Included
Mobile Web
UNLIMITED
Picture Messaging
UNLIMITED
Talk
UNLIMITED
Text Messaging
UNLIMITED
Unlimited International Long Distance
Available Add-on
Video Messaging
UNLIMITED
Voicemail
Included
Other Possible Charges
Roaming Charges per Minute
$0.25 per minute
roaming available
Contract Terms and Fees
Activation Fee
None
Carrier's Early Termination Fee
None
Contract Term
None
Security Deposit
None
Wireless Network
Network Type
Digital Cellular
Technology
CDMA

add to cart

We may limit or terminate your Service without prior notice if you no longer reside and have a mailing address in a Cricket-owned network coverage area or if a majority of your voice and/or data usage is on a Partner network during the previous month.

tonynalli

Reaction score
if they had cricket in the keys i would be all over that. i hate paying verizon soo much money. im looking for another company that will work just as well have the bad ass droids. any other good suggestions

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it simply got turned off because they didn't pay their bill and their lines were cancelled, then you can still activate the device on another line. As long as it isn't currently active on another active line. No clearing of the ESN necessary. The stores don't have that capability anyway, if it works it works, if not it doesn't.
This is absolutely, 100% false. If someone cancels their account and there is money owed on the account, the phone ESN is put on the blacklist, and will not be able to activate it. Why you ask? Because the owner of the account owes money on the account, they did not fulfill their contract obligations, and therefore the phone is worthless on anyone's account until it has been paid up.

Think about it, if someone could open a VZW account and add 5 lines, then a month later close the account and sell the 5 phones, VZW would lose a ton of money quickly.

FFVII7

Reaction score
All This Talk About Phones With Bad ESN, Just Get The Damn Thing Flashed, I've Had Plenty of Phones With Bad ESN's Flashed Over To Cricket. With All of These New Up & Coming Hackers (I'm A Old One,Lol), Bad ESN's Are Really Going To Become Obsolete Because There Is So Much New Technology & A New Generation of Hackers To Overcome It..Especially The Extremely Smart Brainiacs Here on Driod Forums