is there a better camera app?

calebole

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for a week now, and I'm finally getting the hang of the camera. Here are a few things I've learned:

Pics come out the clearest when flash is off. I agree with the others, it seems the timing is off.

Focusing on the Bionic camera requires patience. No more point and shoot. More like point....wait....square turns solid, then green...then shoot.

I found out that the box can be dragged around the screen so focal point isn't always in the center, which is a different approach to tap-to-focus.

Overall, I can accept the camera quality, though my Env2 seemed to be comparable in image quality.

I just wish I could set Quick Pic as my default gallery! The moto one its awful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bill_garrett

Reaction score
I'm becoming a big fan of Lightbox. It's free, works fast, and has some powerful options.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried lightbox.

Not interested in the Social stuff, just taking pics. Love the autofocus. Like the lighting when your taking a pic.

But no choices as to resolution or other settings leaves me confused.

I'm becoming a big fan of Lightbox. It's free, works fast, and has some powerful options.

LBrooks

Reaction score
I've had my Bionic for a week now, and I'm finally getting the hang of the camera. Here are a few things I've learned:

Pics come out the clearest when flash is off. I agree with the others, it seems the timing is off.

Focusing on the Bionic camera requires patience. No more point and shoot. More like point....wait....square turns solid, then green...then shoot.

I found out that the box can be dragged around the screen so focal point isn't always in the center, which is a different approach to tap-to-focus.

I've discovered the same things with the cam on this phone and have to agree ... for pics of text - I've come to taking photo in "Macro" mode or "Steady Shot" ("steady shot" if I need more contrast in a bright and it's white back, etc) ... Several times, I've opened up the camera function and it's nothing but blur - but tap once and it'll focus - tap again, etc - not happy keep tapping LOL ... Like someone else said - the flash is kind of worthless, so I just keep it turned off as a general rule ...

I will say - the camera seems to suck the life out of my battery though - and that stinks for me because I tend to take a lot of pics with my phone - well - maybe not so much anymore - I dont' know - we'll see ...

DynaMO

Reaction score
Reading this thread taught gave me some good tips on how to use my camera, thanks! What I was actually looking for was: Has anyone written an app to have the volume button function as a physical camera button?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you don't always have the time to focus.

Lightbox is good and auto focuses fast.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Reading this thread taught gave me some good tips on how to use my camera, thanks! What I was actually looking for was: Has anyone written an app to have the volume button function as a physical camera button?

Camera ZOOM FX has the ability to map your buttons in many ways, including just taking the picture with either volume key. It has some other neat features.

Craig

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there no trial version?

Does it auto zoom? Hate to pay for something without trying it.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it discussed in the thread already, but has anyone tried the default camera app from vanilla Gingerbread?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Is there no trial version?

Does it auto zoom? Hate to pay for something without trying it.

Yes, there is the auto zoom. And a bunch of other zoom type presets. Plus you can change the zoom box to to 4 or 5 other things, like cross hairs or the horizon which is kinda cool because you can see how much the phone is rotated from level. Only thing is you cannot move the focus to a different location like the stock app. You can also set it to take the shot by voice command, or pick steady mode where you have to be still (based on the level you pick) before the shot will take. The only complaint I have with it is that when the picture is shot, you have to either save it or delete it (or do other after the shot features) so you cannot shoot a series quickly (or at least I have not found it yet). I think it was 5 bucks, and I would have paid twice that.

My feelings on the camera stuff is the more apps the merrier. Rather than get tied in knots complaining about the stock app and what it does well and poorly, I decided to try a few and then I can pick and choose. I just need more time to experiment.

Craig

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought Camera FX and it's by far the best out there. It's programmed well and easy to use. Very fast in taking pictures.

Only downside is that there is no InstaFix function to adjust color. It still takes relatively off color shots compared to the IPhone. For example my kids were swimming and my wife's pictures were much closer to real color than mine.