Is the X a 1-2 year phone???

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I'm pretty jazzed about getting the X. But part of me is wondering if this is a phone that will be up to par for 1-2 years. I normally don't upgrade with every new device that comes out just to have the new hotness. So I plan on keeping it a while. The main reason I am moving to the X is the screen. In fact if nothing with a bigger screen even existed I wouldn't even be looking to replace my Droid. So all of you that have been in the smartphone game for a while. What is your opinion??? Think this is a phone that would keep me happy for 1-2 years?? I know there is talk of 2GHz processors and dual/quad cores etc. But will that make that drastic of a difference???

Oh and a front facing camera is not even an issue for me. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Smartphones have a technology life of about 6 months, then something bigger and better comes out.

With that being sad, you can most certainly hang on to a device for 1-2 years and be completely satisfied.

Just the nature of the game.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I'm still sporting my G1 after about 1.5 years and I'm pretty happy with it although the slow CPU is painful. Of course, I've hacked it with Cyanogenmod. Once FroYo comes out for it, that will probably give it another round of life but by then I'll be on my Droid X.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
6mos for me.....

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Well I just made the mistake of reading the Gingerbread thread.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I am defiantly considering the Droid X. And if I do, I plan on holding onto for a year. This time next year, they'll be a great device with LTE capabilities that I'll be able to utilize. I was thinking of waiting for the end of the year when LTE devices will be introduced, but its too early to buy a 4G device that I might not be able to use (4G wise).

hoax

Reaction score
Don't try to keep up with technology. It's a never ending battle and in the end technology will win.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Don't try to keep up with technology. It's a never ending battle and in the end technology will win.

As I stated in my OT I am not one that does that. I don't trade to the newest thing. I was just trying to get some opinions on whether the X will be a worthy phone for a year or two. If not I will wait six months and get one that will be.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
but its too early to buy a 4G device that I might not be able to use (4G wise).

There are no LTE devices available to users on VZ....Sprint Yes..