Is anyone else infuriated that your Droid 4 Lies to you?

NTchrist

Reaction score
I mean this in regards to battery and signal indicators (3g only). Allow me to elaborate.

The battery indicator has 6 states

Shows | Actual
----------------
100% 100-90
90% 90-80
80% 80-40 ---WHAT THE F$#* WHY?
50% 40-30
40% 30-20
10% 20-0

And the signal strength has 5 states (bars)

Shows | Actual
----------------
5 Bars -60 to -92dBm
4 bars -94 to -100dBm
3 bars -100 to -110dBm
2 bars -110 to -120dBm
1 bar unknown / no signal?

I get that not everybody understands the power measurement of dBm, but if you refuse to show me, at least give me realistic indicators. as of now, it is:
5 bars - Perfect to moderate signal
4 bars - moderate to unusable
3 bars - unusable
2 bars - unusable
1 bar - unusable

Ans as far as the battery is concerned... what can I even say? when I'm deciding brightness and wifi and 3g/vs 4g I really need an acurate indicator of what my battery status looks like. showing me 80% when I actually have 41% is unacceptable. As of now, I use a third party battery indicator (so I can have real numbers) and I am infuriated every time I look at my homescreen and see this ****. Love the hardware, hate the software. I can't wait for custom roms.

Noodle360

Reaction score
yea the battery thing got me at first also.... I thought to myself "What the hell is everyone complaining about, this battery life is amazing!"...

...then I face palmed.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
THANKS!! For the heads-up.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
Yea, the first thing a missed about my ol Ally was the battery life was in 1% incriments out of the box... someday I'll flash rom (hopefully an ICS once) on this puppy and that'll fix it

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Use a 1% battery app.. the stock battery icon is junk for all Gingerbread phones.

I have good call quality with 1-3 bars.. you should probably have your phone checked out.

mccompunerd

Reaction score
Just checked my signal status, and I show 4 bars, and signal strength is at -74 dBm

K.ZIMM

Reaction score
I almost always have two bars LTE signal where at my home, and I haven't had any issues with calls or data. I just ran speedtest again, and it's showing 71ms ping, 15000down/1000up.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I mean this in regards to battery and signal indicators (3g only). Allow me to elaborate.

The battery indicator has 6 states

Shows | Actual
----------------
100% 100-90
90% 90-80
80% 80-40 ---WHAT THE F$#* WHY?
50% 40-30
40% 30-20
10% 20-0

And the signal strength has 5 states (bars)

Shows | Actual
----------------
5 Bars -60 to -92dBm
4 bars -94 to -100dBm
3 bars -100 to -110dBm
2 bars -110 to -120dBm
1 bar unknown / no signal?

I get that not everybody understands the power measurement of dBm, but if you refuse to show me, at least give me realistic indicators. as of now, it is:
5 bars - Perfect to moderate signal
4 bars - moderate to unusable
3 bars - unusable
2 bars - unusable
1 bar - unusable

Ans as far as the battery is concerned... what can I even say? when I'm deciding brightness and wifi and 3g/vs 4g I really need an acurate indicator of what my battery status looks like. showing me 80% when I actually have 41% is unacceptable. As of now, I use a third party battery indicator (so I can have real numbers) and I am infuriated every time I look at my homescreen and see this ****. Love the hardware, hate the software. I can't wait for custom roms.

The reason your battery indicator isn't accurate through the middle range is because Lithium Ion batteries' voltage levels remain relatively flat from about 20% to about 80% of capacity so its very difficult for a battery meter to estimate accurately how much charge is remaining. Most battery meters are therefore using a blend of voltage, combined with the last known full charge and the preset minimum (usually around 3 volts) or the point that "battery low" appears which is 15% on RAZRs, along with known past consumption trends and then by watching actual consumption of power for components, radios, display, apps, and other things like audio and vibrator, it makes an iterative calculation. There is good information about this on www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_fuel_gauge_factual_or_fallacy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

r314bd

Reaction score
Use a 1% battery app
x2.

I use Battery Indicator from the market. It is a status bar icon and the 1% increments work perfectly on the D4. The free version is just a black and white icon but the pro version can be skinned.

xw8Uv.jpg

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I almost always have two bars LTE signal where at my home, and I haven't had any issues with calls or data.

Em, the bars have to do with the signal strength of the phone itself and have nothing to do with 4G (or 3G). The data icon (4G/3G/1X) should either be White or Blue and that's it.

A couple other battery apps is Battery Circle and Bada$$ (substitute "s" for "$") Battery Monitor. Both sit in the notification bar, give battery level in single digits, and give more information when you pull the bar down. The latter was recommended by FoxKat and gives a wealth of information.

Last edited: