Anyone else see this problem before?

eagle923

Reaction score
I'm currently running AOKP b29 (4.04 build with 4.04 FA02 radios), but stock 4.04 and stock 4.02 isn't any different. This has happened on 2 different Gnex phones (both new out of box, one was a 0.10 firmware and this is a 0.09).

Problem: 4G signal shows 1-3 bars (dBm in photos) and I have excellent 4G connectivity. YET, I can't make a phone call or text as it says "No Mobile Network".

You can see in the screenshots, it doesn't matter if I have "no signal" or 3 bars of 4G, it always tells me that the voice connection isn't in service but the mobile data is fine (albeit weak). VZW tells me I'm in a prime 4G area and I've been with them for almost 10 years with various phones at this same location, never had a problem.

I've now had VZW swap my Gnex, at least 4 different sim cards and this problem doesn't go away. They offered to switch me to a Bionic or Droid Charge... neither of which I feel is a fair trade considering the cost difference. I bought this phone Mar 6, 2012...

I've had it on a few places for $400 so I can just outright buy a Razr or something but no bites...

How can I have a 4G signal and no 1x RTT for voice even though my last 5 phones have had no problems?

SCREENSHOTS ARE HERE

E
DIT: Even though in the shots with the "4G signal" showing the voice connection is ok, if I try to make a call it reverts to no signal (internet remains connected)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
They haven't tried to replace the phone yet? Seems like a hardware problem if everything else checks out.

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
Yeah, they already swapped out phones twice.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Have you asked to be switched to a RAZR MAXX? I think that's the only equitable phone in terms of specs and price.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they already swapped out phones twice.

Very weird. Obviously a location problem, but one that only affects the Nexus since your other phones have never done it.

Looks like unless you want to wait and see if the 4.0.5 update corrects this issue, you need to ask for an actual replacement. A Rezound or Razr are comparable, not 2 old phones they offered you before.

OP
eagle923

eagle923

Reaction score
I asked for a Maxx but they said no. I may try for a Rezound. For now, I've deactivated my GNex and have my good old OG Droid. Sitting with full 3g and I'm able to make calls. Very disappointed so far. The offer for the older phones was pretty pathetic.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
That is pretty garbage. I am normally adamantly opposed to going into arrogant customer mode at customer service representatives to get what one wants but this may be warranted.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Despites the comments toward the bionic...i can confidently say that my bionic is far better than a galaxy nexus..so it wasn't that pathetic. Including the price difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Despites the comments toward the bionic...i can confidently say that my bionic is far better than a galaxy nexus..so it wasn't that pathetic. Including the price difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

It's not that the Bionic is a terrible phone, it's just that this guy just paid $300 for the Nexus, it hasn't worked for him as a normal phone due to some very strange reason, hence he should be able to swap it out for a comparable in price phone aka Rezound or Razr. The Bionic you can get for free, it's not currently a comparable phone to the Nexus he just bought for $300.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
*MY* issue with taking the Bionic would be that both are phones that are nearing the 1 year mark and don't have NEAR the processor speeds or the other amenities of the GNex. I'm with the rest, the Rezound or Razr/Razr Maxx are on equal footing.

I'm with zomnomnombie, I'd go into disgruntled customer mode. While I understand not everyone will be pleased 100% of the time, putting someone into a 3/4 of a year older model phone when they bought a phone a month ago is NOT acceptable - even if it IS a typical Verizon move. To me, the Rezound/RAZR isn't asking for too much - it's in the same price range and a month older than the GNex.
Or, keep returning the GNex and tell them you expect to get it replaced until the problem is solved and will not take no for an answer.

And if you talked on the phone to someone, don't waste your time. Go into the store and talk with them face to face. A disgruntled customer in the store is probably more likely to get better results than someone who can hit mute on the phone call.

Reaction score
I'm still trying to sell my bionic to recoup the money I spent on it. Nobody wants the steamy pile of crap.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As somewhat already stated, whether you consider it an "equal" phone or not, Verizon charges next to nothing for the Bionic, and the same for a Gnex or a Razr Maxx, either full retail or with an upgrade/new line. Frustrating that they won't consider the Maxx.

You could always do an iPhone 4S and then get on Craigslist saying you want to trade your brand new iPhone 4S for a Razr Maxx or something like that... you can always find people getting rid of their droids for the iPhone.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
As somewhat already stated, whether you consider it an "equal" phone or not, Verizon charges next to nothing for the Bionic, and the same for a Gnex or a Razr Maxx, either full retail or with an upgrade/new line. Frustrating that they won't consider the Maxx.

You could always do an iPhone 4S and then get on Craigslist saying you want to trade your brand new iPhone 4S for a Razr Maxx or something like that... you can always find people getting rid of their droids for the iPhone.

Maxx is back ordered, possibly why they didn't.

----posted maxx'ed out----

Reaction score
You're right, they won't offer a backordered phone, even if it's available in pretty much every store. If it's back ordered to ship to you, then it's a no go. If you are able to, you can just wait it out, they're usually not back ordered for longer than a few weeks...