IPhone 4 or keep the thubderbolt???

PerfecteXcution

Reaction score
Just switched over from att to Verizon and I got the thunderbolt but I'm not sure if I want to keep the phone or go back att and get the iPhone 4.

The thunderbolt is a great phone and I'm starting to get better battery usage hours. I really don't care for the 4g though it is amazingly fast. The thunderbolt to me seems more like a phone for someone that will be using the phone as an entertainment system with its 4.3 inch screen and kickstand.

I just wanted to get the forums opinion on what you guys would do. Lastly I got my thunderbolt from letstalk.com and they sell all the Verizon phones minus the iPhone so I could not switch. To that.

Please give me some unbiased opinions!

Thank you for your time

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sportadic22

Reaction score
i simply love android ...this case the thunderbolt over the iPhone because of customization. i started with the Droid 1 and loved it. while my friends were talking about the iphone and getting the iphone i was on the other end talking about this company google...android. now bc of me 3/4 of my friends have android. every time i hung out with them i would have new custom stuff to show them . anywhere from a boot up animation, lockscreen, roms, speeds, etc etc . things that i feel just arnt as supported on the iphone.

obviously it comes down to the user alone and not everyones say.
i use my thunderbolt for everything.. not just as a MEDIA phone. sure i got a hundred songs or so and few videos. but i only use music when bored or at gym..etc. other than that its a normal phone for texting web browsing and a few games.

i feel that you would be able to expand your personal custom ideas here on android then on apple. i think i can speak for alot on this forum website that we are very excited to see what is in store for android as we can see just in the past lets say 6 months how much has come from this OS.. where sure the iOS has been upgraded and is good but i have not seen many drastic changes.

dajogejr

Reaction score
If the iPhone 4 could do LTE, voice and data at the same time on Verizon...it would be a tough choice.
But after a few weeks on the LTE with my bolt...I'll never own a 3G phone again.
It sucks when I travel out of Metro-Detroit...the speed is that addicting.
Even if you don't have LTE now...if you're on the road map to get it, you'd be selling yourself short with an iphone 4 on 3G. Especially Verizons slow 3G.

cpjr

Reaction score
Ive had every version iphone and loved the iphone4, have had several android devices now and chose the TB over getting the iphone on Verizon. They are both excellent devices, I too dont think I could go back to anything less than a 4in screen.

jseah

Reaction score
There is now talk that the iPhone 5 will be delayed until the fall (during the holiday buying season?) so it can be released with LTE.

New LTE iPhone 5 to be Available This Fall? Release Date Still Not Confirmed Yet [New iPhone 5 Rumors Say Apple Will Launch LTE iPhone This Fall; Next-gen iOS Smartphone Not Coming at WWDC 2011 As Usual]

This would make a lot of sense. For them to push out iPhone 5 without LTE, and delay a LTE iPhone until 2012 would be a stupid marketing decision, with 5 more Android LTE handsets coming out on Verizon by the end of May

Verizon's Spring roadmap leak shows Samsung Droid Charge, Xperia PLAY coming in April - Phone Arena

Giving Android a one-year headstart on LTE handsets might be giving Android a lead that Apple might not recover from.

That said, it really all comes down to personal preference. While iOS is much more refined and user friendly, what you see is what you get. Android is much more customizable. For someone (like my wife) who just wants to be able to pick up the phone and start using it without bothering to learn about settings, etc., the iPhone is the perfect phone. FWIW, my wife uses a D2 Global, but every time she wants to do something on the phone (other than the basics like dialing a number), she hands it to me and has me show her.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had an iPhone 3G. Moved to Android and have no intention of moving back to iOs. I have several Apple products which I love. For me the voice nav and tethering of the Android give it a big advantage.

If you feel iOS is for you I would wait the the iPhone 5 -- whenever it is released.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I actually think the iphone is a better entertainment system, although it has a small screen it's better for media. But as a phone in general, I wouldn't choose the iphone over an Android.

I think you need to play with both phones yourself. It's very difficult to give someone advice on what phone to get especially when they're completely different. Whichever phone feels like it's you, that's the one u should go with.

champaned_out

Reaction score
To the op is this your first Android phone? If it is you need to give the phone a chance to grow on you... There is so much you can do on a Android phone that 14 days is not enough unfortunately....

ISO on the other hand.... You only need a few hours to realize you've learned everything it has to offer.. sure there's a learning curve but there isn't much to explore on ISO except for their apps, as long as you pay of course

champaned_out

Reaction score
I actually think the iphone is a better entertainment system

Just curious why you think this is..

I figured since the tb has got a bigger screen, better main camera, the ability to video chat without being tied to wifi, and on top of that 4G speeds... It would be a better entertainment phone over the iPhone

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ironically, the iPhone 4 on Verizon can't do voice/data at the same time, while the TB can (on 3G only) - something new to Verizon, but kind of nice.

They're both great devices, but for me, the free voice NAV, ability to tether when need be (without abusing...), and highly integrated voice control keeps me on the Android bandwagon.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I actually think the iphone is a better entertainment system

Just curious why you think this is..

I figured since the tb has got a bigger screen, better main camera, the ability to video chat without being tied to wifi, and on top of that 4G speeds... It would be a better entertainment phone over the iPhone

For media...organizes music, pictures, videos etc better than the android system in my opinion. Most new cars also are iphone compatible, can't really connect androids to cars though.

If you want to browse the net this is a better device, watch youtube, take pics. But the iphone just organizes everything better - the one advantage with itunes.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Simply put, the Thunderbolt isn't for you

Just switched over from att to Verizon and I got the thunderbolt but I'm not sure if I want to keep the phone or go back att and get the iPhone 4.

The thunderbolt is a great phone and I'm starting to get better battery usage hours. I really don't care for the 4g though it is amazingly fast. The thunderbolt to me seems more like a phone for someone that will be using the phone as an entertainment system with its 4.3 inch screen and kickstand.

I just wanted to get the forums opinion on what you guys would do. Lastly I got my thunderbolt from letstalk.com and they sell all the Verizon phones minus the iPhone so I could not switch. To that.

Please give me some unbiased opinions!

Thank you for your time

My opinion on this topic is now that you've had the opportunity to play with the phone and you can't convince yourself of the benefits, then the phone isn't for you.

If you aren't entirely happy, then do why makes you entirely happy. But why ATT? You can have the iPhone 4 with better service on Verizon. Now that you own the TB, you will be charged a $35 restocking fee if you choose to take it back.