I'm trying to decide between this and an iPhone

EchoX860

Reaction score
I currently have an iTouch 4 so I'm pretty sure I know what the iPhone will deliver, but I'm still looking to see what the Thunderbolt will offer. I've gone so far as to google "Thunderbolt vs iPhone 4" among other things. Personally it seems that iOS is the cleaner OS compared to Android, it might just be the things I've seen which were mostly rooted phones.

Anybody with personal experiences of both would gladly be appreciated to share them

destin246

Reaction score
Go to youtube and search it they have videos there

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had both Android and ipod touch. While I have to say, the ipod/iphone is better hardware quality than my DROID X, the software can't compare. iOS really needs to be jailbroken to do half of what Android does.

Supposedly there is a way to run Android/Linux on iphones. If I knew it was 100% true, that's what I would do

sent from my ZombieStomped X

zwegan

Reaction score
I have had both Android and ipod touch. While I have to say, the ipod/iphone is better hardware quality than my DROID X, the software can't compare. iOS really needs to be jailbroken to do half of what Android does.

Supposedly there is a way to run Android/Linux on iphones. If I knew it was 100% true, that's what I would do

Do you want a phone that supports the embedded video format that is pretty much the standard for the web? - Go Thunderbolt

Last edited by a moderator:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Android. Just not my locked bootloader Moto that's had tons of issues. I have it running good now on ZombieStomped 1.7, undervolted and more... stock it leaves tons to be desired.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
I have had both and have returned both. I needed a qwerty portrait device, but as far as a comparison, the tb wins for me hands down. Big screen, super fast. IPhone does give a seamless user experience, but unless you jailbreak it, it allows for only the basic customizations. You really can't go wrong either way if you choose what will fit your needs the best. Its a good choice to have.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you before i got my thunderbolt. The way i looked at it, thunderbolt has a MUCH larger screen which after you've been using it for a bit you'll never be able to look back. and the iphone, eh its an ipod touch with calling and texting. if you have an ipod touch then you dont really need an iphone. but thats just my opinion.

not to mention your iphone UI is going to look the same every single day.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
IMHO, any android powered smartphone beats an iPhone.

IPhones have so little freedom and customizability. Even if you jailbreak, android has more custom options.
Most android phones also have better call quality and swype keyboard cant be matched. Plus it has the option to root and over clock, and SD card support. Some even have HDMI.

The only thing I can give to the iPhone is battery life. Then again, android phones can have extended batteries.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Truthfully if you want the easiest device to work with and don't plan on rooting and such and you don't care about 4G then the iPhone.

But if you enjoy customization of your phone then the TB is a good bet. As a stand alone device I think it works well. The only issue, as mentioned before is the battery. It sucks a lot of juice.

Oh, and I don't think the iPhone has navigation. That would be a real downside there.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Truthfully if you want the easiest device to work with and don't plan on rooting and such and you don't care about 4G then the iPhone.

But if you enjoy customization of your phone then the TB is a good bet. As a stand alone device I think it works well. The only issue, as mentioned before is the battery. It sucks a lot of juice.

Oh, and I don't think the iPhone has navigation. That would be a real downside there.

The Iphone has navigation. Just without the vocal turn by turn directions.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ktech11

Reaction score
The other big to consider when looking between Android and ios is voice command. You need 3 separate apps to do the built in voice commands in Android. Plus you get true multi- tasking
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Beardface

Reaction score
There is a lot to consider...

Both are good devices. Yes, the Bolt has some issues right now, but they should be fixed soon and everything should be gravy after that. It really just depends on your preferences.

The iPhone has a lot of things going its way. The display really is top notch, even if the screen is very small compared to the Bolt. The apps you can get are very robust and well rounded and everything is guaranteed to work flawlessly with your device. If a company has a smartphone app, there is a 99.99% chance its in their Apps Market.

The Thunderbolt on the other hand, is great in its own way. The screen is amazing, and even better, its relatively huge for a phone. As far as customization, there is no comparison. Android allows plenty of it, even without rooting/jailbreaking. I have stock and through WidgetLocker and LauncherPro, it looks unlike anything else you will find, and I love it. If you know what you're doing, you can get the Bolt to do far more than the iPhone without rooting. Widgets alone are a selling point, in my opinion. Oh, and if you're in a 4G area, the browsing speeds of the Bolt compared to the iPhone... well, there is no comparison. 4G blows 3G out of the water, but it is a major battery drain, so either you baby the device or just buy the extended battery and not worry about it.

Really, either one you get, you'll be happy, but you'll have a completely different experience on each. Go to the store and play around with each.

Droid592

Reaction score
Putting my motorola droid to sleep finally and was between the two also, but after playing with my buddys i told her i need a big screen and although pictures and what not do seem to display nice on the iphone i dont think i could use such a small screen. Not only that but im a huge fan of rooting and be able to do whatever i want with my phone the android platform just seems to offer endless possibility's with there devices. Another thing pulling me towards the bolt is the fact that HTC announced unlocked boot loaders. Gonna take a look at both phones one more time but as of right now the bolt is winning and will be ordered first thing Monday.

tc3

Reaction score
Depends.

I think right now 4G is a nice feature to have but I rarely use it since it eats battery in a matter of hours.

And other than fast downloads I don't see much of a real need for it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums