Insurance? yuwl get a used droid sent 2 u

My refurb V9 lasted all the way to my Droid, besides half of us end up bricking and unbricking the thing anyways ourselves!

Today is day 30 since I ordered my Droid online. I activated it two days later.

Last night, as I was walking through a dark parking lot. I heard something and thought I had stepped on a flattened aluminum can. I almost walked away, but went back to see if I could find whatever I had stepped on. I couldn't see anything, but I felt the "thing" as I first stepped on it, and then kicked it. To my horror, it lit up and when I bent down I dicovered it was my Droid! It has a Phantom Skinz protector installed on the screen. The asphault scratched up the protector pretty badly and also tore a small hole in it, resulting in a small scratch on the glass (only visible when the phone is turned off). I'm sure the phone would be unuseable had the Phantom Skinz not been in place. In addition to the small scratch on the glass, the phone sustained numerous deep scratches to the bezel surrounding the glass, and some scratches to the top edge of the keyboard.

Since I purchased the Droid in December, I have until mid-January to return it "no questions asked." Does "no questions asked" also apply to scratched phones? Since I am still within 30 days of activating the phone, I should be able to add insurance.

What do you think the chances are that I will be able to simply return the phone? I'm willing to return it and go back to my Blackberry for a few days before purchasing another Droid, if necessary. Or, should I simply add the insurance and pay the deductible for a lost or damaged phone?

TIA.

The way I see it, a refurbished phone has already gotten the 'breaking' out of the way. I'd almost rather have a phone thats already died and been fixed than one that still has the death throes inside it somewhere.

That being said, I cancelled my insurance once I found out about the $90 deductible (something the girl at the kiosk 'forgot' to mention).

and if you drop it tomorrow and shatter the galss. A new one unsubsidized is $500. I'll keep the insurance

Shattered glass is evidently covered under a repair warranty of some sort and my replacement phone is only $50. Dropping the phone in the toilet on the other hand would most likely require the $500. Anyhow, the insurance offered through Verizon, imo, is quite expensive $8/mo + $90 deductible. I found links to third-party insurers out there which have $50 deductible and $76 total price for a two year contract. Catch is you have to buy it within 30 days of purchasing your phone.

The way I see it, a refurbished phone has already gotten the 'breaking' out of the way. I'd almost rather have a phone thats already died and been fixed than one that still has the death throes inside it somewhere.

That being said, I cancelled my insurance once I found out about the $90 deductible (something the girl at the kiosk 'forgot' to mention).

and if you drop it tomorrow and shatter the galss. A new one unsubsidized is $500. I'll keep the insurance

What do you think the chances are that I will be able to simply return the phone? I'm willing to return it and go back to my Blackberry for a few days before purchasing another Droid, if necessary. Or, should I simply add the insurance and pay the deductible for a lost or damaged phone?

I would take it to your local Verizon store and see what they say about the damage. Also, you can check the return policy from the online retailer. They may not care what the condition of the return is. The last question is hard to answer because some believe it would constitute insurance fraud and others believe that it's just a part of doing business (check other posts here and in other forums). Go with what your gut tells you.

sorry for the double-quoted post above. my cache must have saved it. still new to forums.

I have Best Buy's smartphone full insurance that covers the same thing. I can walk into any Best Buy store, file a claim on the spot, and walk out with a brand new Droid from the store. I've had to do this once already and was told I can do it up to three times a year if need be. I didn't pay any deductible since the problem I was having was not my fault. The Best Buy insurance costs more, but it's worth it to me.

Miami1683;125956 I would take it to your local Verizon store and see what they say about the damage. Also said:
I may run by a Verizon store tonight. The online retailer is Verizon, so I don't think I'll get a different answer from them.

Honestly, I'd just stick the phone in a case and forget about it, but if I do that I won't be able to easily get the phone into the car dock or media dock and I use both on a daily basis.

I have Best Buy's smartphone full insurance that covers the same thing. I can walk into any Best Buy store, file a claim on the spot, and walk out with a brand new Droid from the store. I've had to do this once already and was told I can do it up to three times a year if need be. I didn't pay any deductible since the problem I was having was not my fault. The Best Buy insurance costs more, but it's worth it to me.
Does it cover lost or stolen?

Yes sir.
:motdroidhoriz: :motdroidvert: :motdroidhoriz:

I called Verizon and added the insurance. That buys some time for me to ducide what to do. I'll try to return the phone this weekend and if I cannot do that without a penalty, I may file a claim. Or, if I can find a cover that works with the docks, (even a cover that only fits the front -- i.e., a bezel-type cover) I may just install that and forget the whole thing.

I'm not sure whether I will keep the insurance policy or cancel it. Seeing how fragile the phone is and how expensive it would be to replace it, I'll likely keep the insurance until I get close to an upgrade availability.

That's why I got the insurance through best buy. Brand new phone, and no deductible if anything were to happen.

I am another one that does not understand everyone’s concern over this issue. If you’re in a car wreck and total your car, do they buy you a brand new car? No, they pay to replace your used car. Why should the phone be any different? They are going to send you a phone that has been thoroughly checked out and certified to be free of defects. Sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

It's just the point of paying x-amount for a phone, $90 for a replacement, and then to get a 'used' device. Just doesn't sit well with most people... myself included. But as long as it works and is in "MINT" condition it's fine by me :)

This is absolutely incorrect, I have the same insurance and it does NOT cover lost or stolen.

Back