Insurance? yuwl get a used droid sent 2 u

sophiethebulldog

Reaction score
No they don't have used Droid;s now, but they will. I have Verizon, and I have insurance, the best I can get with them. I have talked to them several times and I like this company. If my phone breaks, gets stolen or is damaged...( we're not talking under warrenty here) they send me a phone, it's a Droid, sure, in a box and it's REFURBISHED . they don't have used ones out there yet, but they will soon. uh huh. So right now, I'd get a new one, later NO. I was told this................
Do you think you're gonna get a brand new one? Not with Verizon.
:icon_evil:

I have never got a new phone from Verizon. The box says "refurbished" I hate this about them. Nothing you can do either.

Anyone know different, talk to me.

I bought my phone for $150 and I've seen them as low as $119. The insurance has a $90 deductible, for a used phone and that's on top of the monthly fee. I'll take my chances without any.

I shattered the screen on my Droid yesterday and didn't have insurance. I took it to the verizon store and they are sending a replacement for $50. I should get it Thursday or Friday. I'll post back if it says refurbished or not.

Read your Terms of Service. If you find any nitpicky issue with your phone, return it within the first 30 days. after that, even if it's their fault, they'll send you a refurbished unit, unless one is not available of course.

I've got a stuck pixel on mine, but it wasn't there until after my 30 day period. sucks to be me eh? One dead pixel. Can't see it unless I'm looking for it, but I know it's there. or I can roll the dice and see what comes in the refurbished box.

I don't understand everyone's hatred for refurbished stuff. Does it have cooties or something? I would be annoyed for getting a refurbished one if it was a manufacture error (that should be a new phone), but everything else such as replacing a damaged one should get a refurbished one. If it has issues you aren't obligated to keep it, just get another one. They won't make you keep one that is bad.

Refurb I think has a bad reputation. It goes back to the factory and depending whats wrong with it gets a whole new make over back to stock spec.

I have had to replace a few phones under the warranty due to having a 12 YO boy who beats the hell out of them and have always recieved refurbs that look and work as they are brand new.

Refurbished phones tend to have a less return rate than everyone thinks. All the phones have new plastics and they are tested to make sure they work without problems. If you dont like this policy go to another carrier, OH WAIT THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING. Ascurion is the largest phone insurance company in the US. They cover ATT sprint and Tmobile and your deductible is less on VZW compared to any other US carrier. Look at the positives, instead of all the negatives.

Lets keep in mind that for an iPhone on ATT; you couldn't even get insurance if you wanted it.

The way I see it, a refurbished phone has already gotten the 'breaking' out of the way. I'd almost rather have a phone thats already died and been fixed than one that still has the death throes inside it somewhere.

That being said, I cancelled my insurance once I found out about the $90 deductible (something the girl at the kiosk 'forgot' to mention).

The way I see it, a refurbished phone has already gotten the 'breaking' out of the way. I'd almost rather have a phone thats already died and been fixed than one that still has the death throes inside it somewhere.

That being said, I cancelled my insurance once I found out about the $90 deductible (something the girl at the kiosk 'forgot' to mention).

and if you drop it tomorrow and shatter the galss. A new one unsubsidized is $500. I'll keep the insurance

Refurbished phones tend to have a less return rate than everyone thinks. All the phones have new plastics and they are tested to make sure they work without problems. If you dont like this policy go to another carrier, OH WAIT THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING. Ascurion is the largest phone insurance company in the US. They cover ATT sprint and Tmobile and your deductible is less on VZW compared to any other US carrier. Look at the positives, instead of all the negatives.

I can appreciate you helping, but yelling isn't necessary! Be nice please not everyone sees things the same way :icon_eek:

Also note that Asurion is not the only insurance. I upgraded one of my lines to a Droid and went through a Verizon reseller that had a better insurance. Can't recall the name of it right now, but the salient points are unlimited replacements, fewer exclusions, extends your warranty, lower monthly fee ($4.99), and they claim that more than 70% of the replacements are new. You do have to pay for two years up-front and replacement costs are $50 first time, $100 second time, and $150 thereafter. To get to 70% new they must refurb some and then resell them elsewhere.

Personally I have always had good luck with refurb units, be it phones or what not. I don't really mind if it has been refurbished as long as it performs like it should.

I don't understand everyone's hatred for refurbished stuff. Does it have cooties or something? I would be annoyed for getting a refurbished one if it was a manufacture error (that should be a new phone), but everything else such as replacing a damaged one should get a refurbished one. If it has issues you aren't obligated to keep it, just get another one. They won't make you keep one that is bad.

+1 who cares!

I bought my phone for $150 and I've seen them as low as $119. The insurance has a $90 deductible, for a used phone and that's on top of the monthly fee. I'll take my chances without any.

$150 is for a new contract, new line or possibly new every two. Where did you see it for that. They are around $400 new on Ebay. I don't think you could replace it for $150 unless you add another line to your contract.

Back