Insurance vs root

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
OK so this may be a dumb question, I know rooting voids warranty bit what about insurance? Sales rep claims u can destroy your phone with a hammer and its covered, so my assumption would be rooting shouldn't affect anything. I just want to be sure.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

6bolt2g

Reaction score
You would just be out the deductible. ±$90.00 Either hand em the pieces or claim it lost. But if it gets working again you have to send the the item back or pay up.

GDP

Reaction score
Technically I think they can deny your claim if you root it and they find out. But, insurance covers damage and losing it so you could just "accidentally" lose it and it would be covered no problem.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
I believe that they would not be on good legal ground by refusing a claim based on your having rooted your phone. The courts has already decided that you're entitled to root a device you purchased.

If you accidentally break your screen, how could they possibly justify denying your claim because it was a rooted phone?

I'm thinking that perhaps the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may apply here...

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
The thing is you can always restore the phone to org sw and then get the warranty done, there is no way they can tell. So rooting really makes no difference as long as you can set it back. If the phone just straight out dies well I bet waranty would still cover it even if rooted. I have never seen anyone denied warranty when sending in to VZW because the phone was rooted...

Its TwiX

Reaction score
The courts has already decided that you're entitled to root a device you purchased.

False. The courts decided it was not illegal to jailbreak an Apple device. They can still deny you of service if they want.

Why would they deny you of your warranty if your phone is rooted? Because you voided your warranty by rooting.
Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
The courts has already decided that you're entitled to root a device you purchased.

False. The courts decided it was not illegal to jailbreak an Apple device. They can still deny you of service if they want.

The courts decided you are entitled to root OR jailbreak a device you bought. This has nothing to do with whether or not a carrier can legally deny you access to their network. They obviously can. But they can't pursue legal actions.

You could do research BEFORE you post on an Internet forum, I hear there are a lot of people who do...

Check here: iPhone jailbreaking (and all cell phone unlocking) made legal - Yahoo! News

Why would they deny you of your warranty if your phone is rooted? Because you voided your warranty by rooting.
Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt
Please try to pay attention. we're discussing INSURANCE, NOT WARRANTY.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Technically I think they can deny your claim if you root it and they find out. But, insurance covers damage and losing it so you could just "accidentally" lose it and it would be covered no problem.

That requires a police report and that's called insurance fraud. Not a good recommendation at all.

Stayin100

Reaction score
A lost phone claim through assurion does not require a police report. Just leave your phone at a bar. There its lost now.

mustascio

Reaction score
Verizon wouldn't replace my incredible for a software issue because of water damage, *****ed at them and got a tb for 70$.. just ask to talk to a manager and they will be nice to you