Insurance Companies

naman919

Reaction score
Asurion changed their terms of service, and after 4 years of paying for their coverage they dropped me. It seems now that if you make a second claim within a year, they drop you. Before you could make two claims a year but no more would be honored until the next year rolled around.

Well, i'm notoriously tough on my phones and now need a new insurance provider. I've google'd and found a few other companies that seem a little shady. Can people chime in on alternatives to asurion? I plan on upgrading to the Nexus device on Verizon and need piece of mind that i won't drop the phone on day one and be screwed. Thanks in advance.

i searched but couldn't find any related threads, so i'm creating one. please point me to other threads if they exist. Thanks.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
i think u need to ease up on ur phone if ur hard on it. Lol. have u checked into square trade?

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Protect cell through Verizon is what I use and I didn't even have to send my old phone back

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Square Trade is commonly suggested. Don't overlook whoever provides your homeowner's and other insurance as well. Just be very clear on what their terms are and make sure that you're ok with them.

Consider an impact resistant case as well if you're frequently making claims.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
i think u need to ease up on ur phone if ur hard on it. Lol. have u checked into square trade?

ha, yeah i agree. but it's not intentional abuse. Square trade was one company i looked at. I'll look back into them and see what i can get coverage-wise. Thanks.

Protect cell through Verizon is what I use and I didn't even have to send my old phone back

I've never heard of protect cell, or another insurance provider through verizon. how did you find out about them?

thanks for the help and please keep the suggestions coming guys. only a couple weeks until the nexus device on verizon!

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
initial research shows that squaretrade doesn't cover loss. i've lost a phone or two since i started using smartphones in 2008. i'm not sure i can go with squaretrade. Also, squaretrade doesn't transfer the insurance after a claim is made. you have to pay upfront for coverage all over again once you get another phone or it's not covered. seems like a vicious cycle.

I looked into protect cell and they provide no details i could find about the varying membership levels, and there appears to be a deductible that's pretty high AND you get a refurb phone. http://www.protectcell.com/Products/Memberships.aspx
l
et me know if anyone can chime in about those issues.

What other companies are out there? i can/will pay extra for loss/water damage, i just need the company to have that offered.

my2dogs

Reaction score
Protect the one you have with a cover and screen protector. It annoys me that they have an msrp of 500 dollars and as soon as something goes wrong they want you to buy a new phone. Droid x was 5 days out of warranty and my home button is useless.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Asurion changed their terms of service, and after 4 years of paying for their coverage they dropped me. It seems now that if you make a second claim within a year, they drop you. Before you could make two claims a year but no more would be honored until the next year rolled around.

Well, i'm notoriously tough on my phones and now need a new insurance provider. I've google'd and found a few other companies that seem a little shady. Can people chime in on alternatives to asurion? I plan on upgrading to the Nexus device on Verizon and need piece of mind that i won't drop the phone on day one and be screwed. Thanks in advance.

i searched but couldn't find any related threads, so i'm creating one. please point me to other threads if they exist. Thanks.

Maybe your next phone should be purchased from Best Buy to get Black Tie protection.

I have had smart phones since February 2006 and never had to file a claim with Asurion.

rleonard

Reaction score
After 22 months of regular use I cracked the screen on my Droid. I ponied up the $50 "processing fee" for my protect cell insurance replacement. The new Droid arrived promptly. After all the activation and setting it up I found that it locks up. Locks up after every call! Grrrr. The only way to get it back was a battery pull. Protect cell was good to send another replacement. This one has a pushed in power switch that does not work. Another replacement heading my way, this time a Droid 2. We'll see what is wrong with this one. Although Protect cell has been good to send out the phones, it is unfortunate that they have been sending the units they have. They must have gotten a real "deal" on them.

There is a reason why these ended in the refurbished pile. They were someone else's junk. That is what I have been getting sent.

Bob