Importing Contacts issue

SmartphoneNewbie

Reaction score
My girlfriends father has the droid and when he was prompted to update to froyo he did but it saved all of his contacts into a folder on the droid homepage. How do i re-import these contacts onto the phones contact list?

tameone

Reaction score
They should all be saved in his google contacts, synced to the cloud. Perhaps sync is turned off?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree that Gmail will have them. Make sure the account is set to sync and he should be fine.

Mike

OP
S

SmartphoneNewbie

Reaction score
He has no idea he said he thought he was just shutting off his alarm and it automatically saved the contacts into a folder on the "desktop" and updated his phone. If i was more acquainted with android i would have probably figured this out by now but i have no idea what's what.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Saving something to his desktop? That sounds like he made a shortcut to his contact list. You really don't save things to the desktop on this phone, you just place shortcuts or widgets. Also the 2.2 update shouldn't have deleted his contacts.

Get him to sign into google account on his phone. From the home screen press menu > settings > accounts and sync. Sign into his account if not already listed there. If it is, click on the account and then click sync contacts . They should, after a little while, come back to his phone. A little icon should appear up near his reception meter showing it is syncing, but this isn't always true in my experience, sometimes it just happens without any display. It just may take a few minutes for this to happen, more if in an area with poor reception.

The hard/long way if the above fails: Get him to sign into his gmail account on a PC, see if he can see them there. They should be under a contacts tab ( like in the picture on the first part of this guide How to Import Your Contacts to a Web Service without Giving Away Your Email Password|ProductiveWise , gmail has updated a bit since then but same general idea). He should be able to export them to an .csv file if necessary as well, like the guide I linked does. Then transfer that to his phone's sdcard. Go to contacts on the phone, press the menu button while in contacts and click "import from sdcard". I assume you will have to find the .csv file you put on your sdcard at this point.