Issue with Contact List

Secretp755

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had the phone for about two weeks now and I guess I've come across my first issue/roadblock.

I was texting, etc. with the phone and set it down and walked away for maybe a half hour (contacts were fine, etc.); and returned to my texts showing only phone numbers and my contacts list being blank. I went around some of the forums and it seemed like importing the contact list from my SD card was the move to make, so I did, and my contacts returned (for the most part); I recovered all with the exception of ten, which were later recovered when I synced my gmail. The issue I am having now is that every contact in my list (when you go into edit contact) is showing multiple google contacts with the same information repeated (name, cell #s, e-mails, etc.). I'm sure this has something to do with importing my contacts, as when I initially did it, I did not recover my list - it only reappeared 10-20 minutes later. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Seems like a waste to have a contact showing the same information 3, 4 and 5 times....thanks in advance

EDIT: It seems separating the contacts is an easy enough fix - have to go through each individual contact to do it though, in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head it sounds like there was a contacts sync issue with gmail, you imported the contacts and then contacts sync with gmail started working again so you got duplicate data when the imported contacts and your gmail contacts attempted to sync. That's just a guess though. If you have a good contacts backup, it might be good just to blow away all the contacts and reload with a fresh start.

Sorry, haven't had this particular issue myself so I don't have a definitive solution.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had the issue of multiple repeated numbers on contacts when I first got the Droid, because I had my T-mobile G1 synced with my Google account, then I used an LG phone when I moved, then the VZW rep transferred the contacts from the LG, then I synced with Facebook.

Go to gmail.com on your computer. It's WAY easier to edit contact info there, and then make sure you keep sync on. Don't panic right away when something like this happens, or you'll cause more trouble for yourself...Like you kinda found out...These things a little mini-computers. They've almost got minds of their own, and when it comes to syncing info, a lot depends on the servers of the system they're linked to...

First thing you should do if they all disappear like that is to go into accounts and sync, uncheck Sync Contacts, then check it again. It'll update. You COULD also just turn off sync for contacts if you're sure your gmail and Facebook accounts have the info you need, then erase ALL contacts, then turn sync back on and it should reload everything the right way...SHOULD:)

Scribble

Reaction score
If you still have multiple contacts easiest thing to do might be to log onto gmail and fix it from there. (The find multiple entries thing works pretty well.)

OP
S

Secretp755

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me guys - the gmail sync not being up seems to be a spot on assessment (I kinda figured as much when my contacts were doubled up within themselves). I probably should have waited a little bit instead of pulling the quick trigger on the imports then spending 3 hours editing contacts via the phone, lol...lesson learned I suppose. For future reference though...if I turn off sync, etc. Can I erase all contacts then start fresh with a gmail import? Still considering this as my contact data for some people shows secondary blank google contacts (as I was unable to separate and delete due to facebook sync, etc.). Also, while I was editing contacts two of them disappeared for for some reason a nd after adding them again, the only way to get them to show was to check off a new category under display options for my gmail (in addition to my contacts I had to check off "all others" and the new category that appearef and is a blank line with a check box (this one brought back the two missing contacts). When it rains it pours I guess...thanks again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem! You want the phone to work and have the info you need. Understandable.

I can't think of a reason why disabling sync and deleting the contacts on the phone wouldn't work and then resyncing to get them back. Just make sure your gmail.com contacts are all setup right before turning it back on. It may have added the double numbers to the internet contacts to. That happened to me. It's a LOT easier to edit a bunch of them on the computer, like I said.

OP
S

Secretp755

Reaction score
I am actually messing with the contacts now via PC/gmail, definitely a lot easier. Probably not going to wipe and start fresh, but definitely good to know should the need ever arise, thanks!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am actually messing with the contacts now via PC/gmail, definitely a lot easier. Probably not going to wipe and start fresh, but definitely good to know should the need ever arise, thanks!

Yeah, the more I think about it, if there are multiple numbers within a contact, gmail.com is the best way to fix it. I think I was thinking more along the lines of people listed twice...

As long as sync is activated on your phone, you can tweak contacts online, and they'll be updated pretty quick!

OP
S

Secretp755

Reaction score
Gmail was definitely the way to go for multiple contacts being repeated in the contact list itself, but, unless I am missing something, I can't seem to find a way to delete excess "google contacts" within the edit contact field...the best I can seem to do is jjust delete the info, but even then it lists the blank contact fields; a minor problem at best...more of a housekeeping issue than anything else for me at this point ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can delete entries online. You can also long press and select delete contact on your phone...If you need help with gmail.com to delete, I can get my computer out again. Let me know!

OP
S

Secretp755

Reaction score
I will have to play around with that some more when I get off work tonight and have PC access...will keep you posted!

OP
S

Secretp755

Reaction score
I figured out the issue I was having, I needed to add contacts from my "all others" category to my "my contacts" (for some reason my "my contacts" was missing a bunch of the "all others" contacts), thus eliminating excess "blank" google contacts and eliminating the need to have both categories checked off in the display settings. Thanks again, hopefully someone else can learn from the error of my ways.

iPhone2Droid

Reaction score
How are you guys deleting all of your contacts? I've turned off sync for all my account sand forced a re-sync and they're all still up.

I know how to delete them one by one, but is there a "delete all contacts" button anywhere on the phone?

If not I suppose I could just turn sync back on and take all my contacts off of gmail online. Just hoping to not have to entrust my entire contacts list to an exported contact file while I erase and re-import.

Thanks in advance!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gmail.com is the easiest way IMO. On there, you can select multiple contacts and click delete. Can't find a multiselect function on the phone...