IMAP to POP

turbodave

Reaction score
Hello again. When my phone was set up, the person set my charter account as IMAP. I went into account settings in hopes of changing it to a POP account. However, when looking at server settings, it asks for the IMAP servers name.

Doesn't even allow for a POP name.

I'm confused. How can I setup my charter.net mail as a POP account instead of an IMAP account?

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
80 views ?? I must have stumped the experts!!

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can change your current account setup.... you'll need to add a "New" POP mail account with your Charter info. Then delete the IMAP account.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Why do you want to use a POP account? You cannot sync your phone's email with other devices using POP. You can with IMAP servers.I could be that Charter only has IMAP servers. I'd call Charter or visit their website.

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can change your current account setup.... you'll need to add a "New" POP mail account with your Charter info. Then delete the IMAP account.

It's that simple? Just add a POP account and then delete the IMAP account?

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
Why do you want to use a POP account? You cannot sync your phone's email with other devices using POP. You can with IMAP servers.I could be that Charter only has IMAP servers. I'd call Charter or visit their website.

I'm not so sure that it's that important that I need to sync. I have this new smart phone, my laptop, and the wife's desktop. Oddly enough, if I delete an email from and phone, and happen to be watching the laptop, the same email will disappear from the laptop, but NOT from the desktop... ??? Not so sure how important all that is to a 65 year old retired non techy.

When I first got this phone turned on and they set it up with IMAP, neither my desktop nor my laptop POP accounts worked! The error message kept saying my account was being access by another " ". So I had to change both the desktop and laptop to IMAP.

I wish I knew what direction is best.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your phone and laptop are working correctly. Its your desktop settings that you want to double check. The advantage of using IMAP versus POP3 is that if you read and delete something off your phone, it should clear on the server and be reflected on all of your syncing devices.

With POP3 ...if you delete something off your phone, it will still be resident on the email server so when your laptop or desktop check the server, messages will still appear un-read and un-deleted.

I bet most here would suggest leaving things set up as IMAP...and reverify the setup on your desktop to find out why that one is not syncing correctly.