GMAIL POP and IMAP

R

RETG

What happens if I turn on POP and keep IMAP on my Gmail account?

Will it affect the way emails are delivered to my X?

If I delete an email from my X, will it still be on the Gmail server for access via Thunderbird?

Reason I'm asking is this past week's problem with Gmail made me think that all my online purchases, receipts I store on Thunderbird are really kept somewhere else. If I had a POP account, all that information is downloaded to my laptop, that is backed up weekly, so most would not be lost if there was a problem with the Gmail server.

But, not sure what would happen if I checked off POP with IMAP also checked.

Thanks in advance for any information.

thinkmega

Reaction score
POP would download the messages while IMAP keeps them on the mail server.

If your X is configured with IMAP (I think it is the default choice or only choice) and you delete a message, it is removed from google's mail server because you run against the server as per IMAP.

If you use X9 and POP, the delete would remove the local copy of the message.

What happens if I turn on POP and keep IMAP on my Gmail account?

Will it affect the way emails are delivered to my X?

If I delete an email from my X, will it still be on the Gmail server for access via Thunderbird?

Reason I'm asking is this past week's problem with Gmail made me think that all my online purchases, receipts I store on Thunderbird are really kept somewhere else. If I had a POP account, all that information is downloaded to my laptop, that is backed up weekly, so most would not be lost if there was a problem with the Gmail server.

But, not sure what would happen if I checked off POP with IMAP also checked.

Thanks in advance for any information.

OP
R

RETG

Thanks. Found out by testing
Went to settings in GMAIL and added POP effective since the first day of my GMAIL account. Then in the When messages are accessed with POP, I selected "delete GMAIL's copy.
Went into thunderbird and created a new account under the same email account name, but made it POP.
After new account was created, thunderbird started to download all messages from GMAIL.
All messages were deleted on GMAIL, BUT, they are all on my computer.

Then did some testing. Sent messages from my gov account to gmail.

Then appear in the X. If deleted on the X, they remain on GMAIL's site.

When Thunderbird is opened, all messages are downloaded to the computer and removed from Gmail's site.

Just the way I want it. dancedroid