Im want to root but im scared convince me!

rage813

Reaction score
Im scared that ill brick my phone. What is this sbf thing and the z4root and stuff. Also my phone is relatively new compared to the other droids and im running 2.4.330 the newer D2G update not 2.4.29

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. If you're scared you're not ready. I know I see lots of posts titled "I'm rooted, now what?" and I don't understand that. If you are going to root, have a goal or reason to do it. Then read read read. Search the hack threads of your phone and read about those things you're asking about. There's butt loads of info at your finger tips.

Trust me, if you're more informed, it will be more fun and less scary.

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
Don't do it. If you're scared you're not ready. I know I see lots of posts titled "I'm rooted, now what?" and I don't understand that. If you are going to root, have a goal or reason to do it. Then read read read. Search the hack threads of your phone and read about those things you're asking about. There's butt loads of info at your finger tips.

Everyone always says there is no point in having a droid if your not going to root

Beka27

Reaction score
I think I saw a statistic somewhere that only 1% (or something) of Droid users are rooted. The statistics are skewed on DroidForums, because this is largely a hacking community. You should not do it if you are not comfortable with it and don't have any real reason to.

ETA: What have you done so far with your phone? Have you customized it with launchers, played with various apps that change features, learned how to transfer files with an app like Astro, played with icons and widgets and taskers? There's a lot you can do stock. Start with those things.

Last edited:

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Everyone always says there is no point in having a droid if your not going to root

Everyone always acts like rooting is some big scary thing. People treat rooting like its a "first sex" talk. "But how will I know when I an ready mom?", "you well know child, you will just know."

Rooting is no big deal, just do it. All it is doing is giving you administrative controls, nothing crazy. Allows for backups and the like. Technically it doesn't even void your warranty. The guy at the store might try to be a bleep but if you go over his head root won't be a problem getting a replacement. It is no different than getting a virus. Just play dumb and you will be fine.

Now flashing custom roms, custom bootloaders, and messing with system apps is where you void your warranty and is where things can break, but nothing a quick sbf won't fix.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been rooted since this time last year and I agree with Jim. If you are nervous about it, don't do it. If after reading everything you can find, you still are interested then study until you are 100% convinced you know all the steps and all the steps to recover (if things go bad). Make sure you not only know the steps, but what the steps mean.

It's very different rooting and hacking on a phone like the Droid that isn't locked down hard versus most of the new phones like the Droid 2G. If there is an sbf for the Droid2G, then the risk is pretty small.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been rooted since this time last year and I agree with Jim. If you are nervous about it, don't do it. If after reading everything you can find, you still are interested then study until you are 100% convinced you know all the steps and all the steps to recover (if things go bad). Make sure you not only know the steps, but what the steps mean.

It's very different rooting and hacking on a phone like the Droid that isn't locked down hard versus most of the new phones like the Droid 2G. If there is an sbf for the Droid2G, then the risk is pretty small.

and rooting is SO much easier now. When I did my D1 last January, I had to type in a butt load of code in to TE, making sure every space, CAP, and comma was in place or risk a bad situation.

Now, one click and you're done.

D

dankarlinski

and rooting is SO much easier now. When I did my D1 last January, I had to type in a butt load of code in to TE, making sure every space, CAP, and comma was in place or risk a bad situation.

Now, one click and you're done.

exactly.

one click, and you are done.

now, you dont even need a computer.. a program called Z4root does it all for you from your phone... i have the link in my sig

vvv Below vvv

if your interested

pyro6128

Reaction score
@Jim, same, the problem with it being so easy now is you get a bunch of people rooting and trying to flash roms that have no idea what they're doing. I learned so much having to root and flash the old way. So much so that when I have problems, I'm able to troubleshoot issues myself because I understand how things work after having gone through all the steps, and after reading everything I could find. Now we get tons of threads a day with people asking simple questions (this isn't aimed at the OP btw) that they in theory should know the answer too if they took even a couple of minutes to read the massive amount of info already out.

Last edited:
D

dankarlinski

that is true... its the only bad thing about the one click roots.... if you dont know how the Term emulator commands work, your are a sitting duck

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
@Jim, same, the problem with it being so easy now is you get a bunch of people rooting and trying to flash roms that have no idea what they're doing. I learned so much having to root and flash the old way. So much so that when I have problems, I'm able to troubleshoot issues myself because I understand how things work after having gone through all the steps, and after reading everything I could find. Now we get tons of threads a day with people asking simple questions (this isn't aimed at the OP btw) that they in theory should know the answer too if they took even a couple of minutes to read the massive amount of info already out.

Exachery!!

OP
R

rage813

Reaction score
If I had the Droid I deff. Would