I'm loving the X but...........

erict

Reaction score
Everything has worked fine for the two months I have owned the X. The only thing that just doesn't work is my E-mail fetching and notification. I used the Yahoo app the was pre-installed in my accounts but the fetch was buggy as it would only work some of the time. So today I tried K9 and it fetched without a hitch and either blinked the led when phone was sleeping or if I had the phone on, it would show a new email in the notification bar. I have changed nothing since it worked and now won't give me a notification of a new emails either via led or bar but the emails are there. I just can't understand why it's so hard to get Yahoo email to work. Are there any other email programs to try?

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Did u try the official yahoo email app from the market?
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
Did u try the official yahoo email app from the market?

I did when I first got my phone but had some issues then as well with syncing. I know this is a google phone and I'm sure gmail would work flawlessly but I would really like to keep and have my Yahoo mail work. I would have never thought it would be such an issue to get something as simple as email to work. It's just aggravating.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I understand. But it shouldn't be a problem at all. Wasn't for me or my wife. So u went into "my accounts" and logged in using your complete yahoo email address? Including the @ att or hotmail or yahoo?
If u r not rooted, maybe u can call vzw and see if they can walk u thru it to determine if u have a faulty software issue. Litterally it should be one of the easiest things u do on this phone....

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I understand. But it shouldn't be a problem at all. Wasn't for me or my wife. So u went into "my accounts" and logged in using your complete yahoo email address? Including the @ att or hotmail or yahoo?
If u r not rooted, maybe u can call vzw and see if they can walk u thru it to determine if u have a faulty software issue. Litterally it should be one of the easiest things u do on this phone....

I have a sbcglobal.net email. I get my emails but the problem is the notification. K9 worked fine for about an hour notifying me of new emails and then stopped even though I had new emails it was not notifying me at all that I did but are there when I opened K9. I just re-installed the Yahoo app under accounts and it's working fine again. I wish I could get K9 to work as I liked it.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score
I have been messing around with my yahoo email this morning. I set up my yahoo account to forward to my gmail account and works flawlessly. I get notification instantly without a hitch. With me forwarding my email to gmail it does not leave an achieve in my yahoo account which is nice. I have to learn more about the gmail account since this is all new to me.

One thing I did notice is if I send a test email from my X with gmail to my yahoo account it does not show up in my gmail inbox but if I click "all mail" in gmail it shows it. Not sure where it's hidden in gmail. Any ideas? If I send a test email from my X in gmail to my gmail address it shows up in the inbox and the same if I send an email from my yahoo to gmail.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been messing around with my yahoo email this morning. I set up my yahoo account to forward to my gmail account and works flawlessly. I get notification instantly without a hitch. With me forwarding my email to gmail it does not leave an achieve in my yahoo account which is nice. I have to learn more about the gmail account since this is all new to me.

One thing I did notice is if I send a test email from my X with gmail to my yahoo account it does not show up in my gmail inbox but if I click "all mail" in gmail it shows it. Not sure where it's hidden in gmail. Any ideas? If I send a test email from my X in gmail to my gmail address it shows up in the inbox and the same if I send an email from my yahoo to gmail.

Anytime you send an email a copy of it goes into your all mail folder. So it really didn't send it back to you.

I've tried this a couple of times using my Road Runner email account which is set up like yours. Gmail will check your other email accounts by how often you get email. If you get a lot it checks frequently, if you don't get much then it will check once or twice an hour. Usually when I send an email to myself at Road Runner I have to go into settings and have it check now. Then a couple of minutes later the email shows up.

I think you're getting the message. If you can and I know this might be difficult to do, try to switch over to Gmail completely. Start sending emails out with your Gmail address and maybe note that this is the address you want return mail sent to. IMHO Gmail is miles above any other free mail service.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score

Anytime you send an email a copy of it goes into your all mail folder. So it really didn't send it back to you.

I've tried this a couple of times using my Road Runner email account which is set up like yours. Gmail will check your other email accounts by how often you get email. If you get a lot it checks frequently, if you don't get much then it will check once or twice an hour. Usually when I send an email to myself at Road Runner I have to go into settings and have it check now. Then a couple of minutes later the email shows up.

I think you're getting the message. If you can and I know this might be difficult to do, try to switch over to Gmail completely. Start sending emails out with your Gmail address and maybe note that this is the address you want return mail sent to. IMHO Gmail is miles above any other free mail service.

I noticed I can set up to retrieve other accounts like Yahoo within gmail. I did not do this and just went in my Yahoo account and went to settings and clicked forward all mail to my gmail address. Any emails that are sent to my Yahoo address I get immediately in my gmail which is great. When I send a test email on my X in gmail to my gmail address is shows in my inbox. Now when I send a test email on my X in gmail to my Yahoo address in does not show in my gmail's inbox but is there if I click "all mail". If anything I would think it would do this the other way around, correct?

Yes I really should just switch and will probably do that shortly.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I noticed I can set up to retrieve other accounts like Yahoo within gmail. I did not do this and just went in my Yahoo account and went to settings and clicked forward all mail to my gmail address. Any emails that are sent to my Yahoo address I get immediately in my gmail which is great. When I send a test email on my X in gmail to my gmail address is shows in my inbox. Now when I send a test email on my X in gmail to my Yahoo address in does not show in my gmail's inbox but is there if I click "all mail". If anything I would think it would do this the other way around, correct?

the All Mail serves two purposes. It will keep a copy of anything you send out in Gmail and it will allow you to archive any mail that you don't want in your inbox but want to keep, like maybe a receipt for an online purchase.

Mail coming in does not go in the All Mail folder. It stays in the inbox until you decide to either Archive or Delete.

OP
E

erict

Reaction score

the All Mail serves two purposes. It will keep a copy of anything you send out in Gmail and it will allow you to archive any mail that you don't want in your inbox but want to keep, like maybe a receipt for an online purchase.

Mail coming in does not go in the All Mail folder. It stays in the inbox until you decide to either Archive or Delete.

Thats what I'm trying to figure out why when I send an email on my X via gmail to my yahoo address I do not get it in my gmail inbox. But I do get it if I send an email on my X via gmail to my gmail address.

To sum it up. I can send an email from yahoo to gmail and get it in the gmail inbox. But I can't send an email from gmail to yahoo as it never shows up in the gmail inbox.

Thank you for the help I appreciate it.

Last edited: