ICS OTA Rolling out for everyone starting tonight.

Tums

Reaction score
Omg. I'm in love all over again!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yeah it's nice! especially being a stock user who has been patiently waiting for the update. Had some issues downloading it but after 2 FDRs it finally worked and did it pretty quick (I wanna say it took about 20 minutes from beginning to end). Glad we finally got the update! Will messing around with things most likely for the rest of the day lol :biggrin: btw Chrome browser is pretty sweet!!!!

Oh and to agree with everyone else man ICS makes this phone just feel way better, it's a new beast!

lvclubkid

Reaction score
Love the notification pulldown....but the lockscreen is lame wish they would get rid of the key icon and let the circle move to the icon you want to unlock like on the Nexus. Really glad I did not wait around for this update.

Jimbop

Reaction score
I got the update and installed today. One thing that i dis to conserve battery life at work was turn 4G off at work and relied solely on 3G for the little bit I mess around at break. Is there a way to do this with smart actions since I see the option in settings is blanked out?

RichC

Reaction score
Over 12 hours on my ICS upgrade, still stuck at "Upgrading Media Database". Ready to pull the battery, any other advice out there?

mykl376

Reaction score
Jimbop said:
... turn 4G off at work and relied solely on 3G for the little bit I mess around at break. Is there a way to do this with smart actions since I see the option in settings is blanked out?

I was wondering the same thing. It's like the option is there, but grayed out and not selectable. I did watch my phone when I was driving, going from a strong 4G signal to my house, which has only 3G, and the switch was instantaneous.

josh0875

Reaction score
My phone is notifying me since morning. I need root. Anyone know which root method will work after ICS update?

RichC

Reaction score
ICS Update stuck on "Upgrading Media Database
Ok, Started upgrade at 2 this morning, awoke to "upgading Media database" at 0540 this morning and now it is 12 hours later since I started the update with the same screen. Yes I have music as it is my music player when doing things and a few pics. Frustrating to say the least.

I finally decided to remove the Battery and see what would happen. Started fine, going through a bunch of start up stuff, seems to be running fine although a little slow.

oldguy

Reaction score
Will 4ever root make the update fail? I can't get the update to install. I'm stock rooted with 4ever root. I uninstalled Bionic Bootstrapper and wiped cache and still no luck. I don't want to FDR if I don't have to and I'd rather not do HOB if I can avoid it. I'd really just rather the update work the way it's supposed to. Do I need to unfreeze all bloat?

I had the same problem. I unfroze all bloat and even used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to unroot. And it still didn't work. So,I did some research to find out where the OTA was stored. Then, I looked in the /cache/ folder where the OTA can be found as "Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip" and discovered a last_log file in the /cache/recovery/ folder. At the end of the log file there are these statements:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288blk: partition "" size 63861041152 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
Verifying current system...
file "/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh", "1810bb2cd607e2f6cfbeafa158bb3a89629d60b7", "3a8382950bd4a6226349607d099afcbd93653d48")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh", "1810bb2cd607e2f6cfbeafa158bb3a89629d60b7", "3a8382950bd4a6226349607d099afcbd93653d48")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From this I infer that a checksum is being applied to the mount_ext3.sh file and the installation is aborted if the checksum does not match. Coincidentally, that is the file that has a couple of chmod commands added to it to keep root permanent. I don't know if a factory reset will put that file back to its original state. I also don't know if it would be possible to restore root after doing so. I also don't know what other checks may fail if that one succeeds. However, it seems clear that VZW is, at a minimum, attempting to prevent rooted phones from taking the OTA to ICS by failing the installation on phones that have used the forever root method to maintain root through OTA updates.

Smitty

Reaction score
patience is the key.

As many of you have stated, I got the OTA at about 2 AM. It was very very slow downloading, and seemed to not be doing anything several times during the day. I am not rooted, and completely stock. It took until about 4 PM to compete download. Only took about 15 minutes to install and update phone. I did not pull the battery, I did not factory reset or anything else. Just be patient! Once you're updated it will take maybe another hour to get everything back the way you want it. Mine is working just fine with no issues found as of yet. And yes, so far ICS is awesome! Enjoy!

D

Developer

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WHO HAS JUST RECEIVED THE UPDATE!!!!

Message This Forum if anything goes wrong with the update (ONLY FOR THOSE WHO RECEIVED IT TONIGHT). I will let Matt (Motorola Push Update Team Manager) know that something is wrong and he will get right on it.

Welcome To Ice Cream Sandwich! Bionic Users.

-Thanks,
Motorola Feedback Member

ᄅ° ✖ Droid Forums ✘

D

Developer

drust said:
update fails stock rooted 905

The Update will fail if: OS is Tampered, Bloatware removed, or has any back ups. It might fail for being rooted. Some bionic users experienced that to.

ᄅ° ✖ Droid Forums ✘

drust

Reaction score
The Update will fail if: OS is Tampered, Bloatware removed, or has any back ups. It might fail for being rooted. Some bionic users experienced that to.

ᄅ° ✖ Droid Forums ✘

reflashed 902 earlier this week... pushed the 905 update... only thing i fid was root