Ice Cream Sandwich-like Features Already in Bionic; Full Port of ICS Coming to Bionic

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Welcome to Droid Forums, where anything can make the front page.

I'm not sure if you guys had some management changes in the last 6 months or so, but you're slipping. Each and everyday, you put up a tweet directing us here that destroys your credibility and further makes you irrelevant.

Maybe do a little "digging" before you post stuff. You told someone earlier to reread the OP, but you fail to read your title. You are implying that the Bionic has ICS features built in, according to your twitter and the title of this post. Please enlighten us on these features when you find them. Left to right app drawer? ADW had it a year ago - not news.

You guys used to be on your game, not so much anymore.

Fire your editor (and the person in charge of your twitter) :happy:

Maybe you should read the title again, it says 'Ice Cream-LIKE' features. Post like the one you just wrote shows you have not done any research yourself, or else you wouldn't have posted it. You are reading either to much or to less into the OP. Which I don't know.

What the post states is that the Bionic has some features that ICS will deliver to other devices that do not have. And that it has been confirmed that the Bionic will receive the full ICS update. Is that to hard to understand?

GBH2

Reaction score
Umm... the specs alone make the Bionic an inferior phone. 720p screen, faster and higher quality internals, NFC, built for ICS. Yes, the specs don't mean that it'll all come together at the end, but I think the hands-on videos, the demonstrations, and all the review from those who actually know this stuff pretty much makes it CLEAR that it's better.

Even if I used the Nexus, would you take my opinion over the review sites and blogs that have already spoken about it? (I doubt it)

I think you can definitively say that it's a better phone than the Bionic. I didn't even know this was debatable.

I just think that guy was trying to suck up to the Moto rep. Nothing wrong with it. I was just saying it was funny.

Not even debatable? Your kidding yourself.

I am sure the Nexus will be a nice phone but we won't know how good until a bunch of people have them in their hands.

Bionic and Nexus have the same CPU and GPU, the Nexus has a slight bump in clock speed and has to drive that 720p display.

We don't know anything about real world performance of the Nexus as far as Signal Reception, Call Quality and Build Quality and Battery Life.

Is the Nexus a generally better phone? Probably

If I wanted to play games on my phone I would almost definitely buy the Nexus.

If I wanted an all around phone for business and personal use I would still probably take the Bionic at least until some serious comprehensive reviews for the Nexus are out.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Has any Motorola Blur equipped phone ever received an OS upgrade <6 months after the new OS was released for the first time?

Nope... the original Droid kind of did, but it wasn't a Blur phone--Unless I'm wrong, and if so please tell me. But I don't think so.

Has any Droid other than the OGDroid received an OS upgrade (for example from eclaire to froyo) outside of the month of September?
Don't think so. Please correct me and I'll admit I'm wrong. I'm racking my brain but I can't recall.

I strongly believe that there is no way that the Razr or Bionic will see ICS before next summer.

I'm keeping it real and going by historical patterns.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Has any Motorola Blur equipped phone ever received an OS upgrade <6 months after the new OS was released for the first time?

Nope... the original Droid kind of did, but it wasn't a Blur phone--Unless I'm wrong, and if so please tell me. But I don't think so.

Has any Droid other than the OGDroid received an OS upgrade (for example from eclaire to froyo) outside of the month of September?
Don't think so. Please correct me and I'll admit I'm wrong. I'm racking my brain but I can't recall.

I strongly believe that there is no way that the Razr or Bionic will see ICS before next summer.

I'm keeping it real and going by historical patterns.

I don't actually remember either, and I've been here since D1 also.. but remember, ICS is supposed to be the unifying platform. It just doesn't seem like it would make sense to fragment it even more by not getting it on all GB devices asap, and I think that is Googles goal. Like you, I could be wrong also.. we'll just have to wait and see.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't actually remember either, and I've been here since D1 also.. but remember, ICS is supposed to be the unifying platform. It just doesn't seem like it would make sense to fragment it even more by not getting it on all GB devices asap, and I think that is Googles goal. Like you, I could be wrong also.. we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, Google mentioned that they were going to get on OEMs to put out updates faster so that everyone can be on equal footing. Is that gonna happen though? I highly doubt it. I don't think the Bionic will get ICS before March, April the earliest. But let's see how much pull Google really has with the OEMs!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Let's see...

You can individually get rid of notifications on Blur. While it isn't swiping you can still do it.

Re-sizable widgets have been in blur since day one.

Some of the camera features (like panorama and face detection) have been in blur for around a year.

I can't remember if this was in ICS, but if you get a call and ignore it; a pop up comes up and you can send them a quick text explaining why you can't talk. Blur does that also.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You guys will be lucky to get update that will be bug free by summer next year if ever.

And the feature you are comparing ics with bionic is probably widget resizing. Moto blur is known for it.

Let's face it, Moto, HTC and Samsung aren't known for timely problem free updates.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yeah, Google mentioned that they were going to get on OEMs to put out updates faster so that everyone can be on equal footing. Is that gonna happen though? I highly doubt it. I don't think the Bionic will get ICS before March, April the earliest. But let's see how much pull Google really has with the OEMs!

Yea, though past history tells us, nothing is ever on time or on schedule, Google may just might turn that all around, now that they have bought motomoble. But yea.. no guarantees..

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
You guys will be lucky to get update that will be bug free by summer next year if ever.

And the feature you are comparing ics with bionic is probably widget resizing. Moto blur is known for it.

Let's face it, Moto, HTC and Samsung aren't known for timely problem free updates.

That's what we are asking ourselves, that was pre Google buying MotoMobile, we're waiting to see if indeed the roll outs for ICS happen faster. If you are referring to the bug issues on the Bionic, I have no doubt in my mind that will be addressed in the very near future.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's see...

You can individually get rid of notifications on Blur. While it isn't swiping you can still do it.

Re-sizable widgets have been in blur since day one.

Some of the camera features (like panorama and face detection) have been in blur for around a year.

I can't remember if this was in ICS, but if you get a call and ignore it; a pop up comes up and you can send them a quick text explaining why you can't talk. Blur does that also.
Thank you. This is what the guy on Facebook meant. He wasn't saying the actual features in ICS were in the Bionic, he was just saying the Bionic can do all the things listed above that are now in ICS.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Thank you. This is what the guy on Facebook meant. He wasn't saying the actual features in ICS were in the Bionic, he was just saying the Bionic can do all the things listed above that are now in ICS.

NP.

I think people are interpreting the FB comment in different ways.

I think some are seeing it along the lines of "We did this stuff first and ICS is copying us". Which is how the community can react, cause that's how we act when Apple or another company announces new features.

The way I'm reading it is "ICS is on its way. In the meantime; some of the features are already in Blur." To me it's just an FYI don't worry too much about missing out on a lot.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
There ARE Honeycomb/ICS features in the Gingerbread build for the Bionic. The way the filesystem is laid out is a major example of this. The entire reason that apps "disappear" when moved to the actual SD card (sd-ext) is that Gingerbread was never designed to work with this type of layout. The compatibility layer built in to allow this to work is a kludge at best. This actual layout is what Honeycomb uses, and will also be used in ICS.

What Mototola SHOULD have done, IMHO, is be up front about this and not allow app storage on the sdcard at all under Gingerbread.

I just have a feeling that ICS will unleash the TRUE power of our devices.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
There ARE Honeycomb/ICS features in the Gingerbread build for the Bionic. The way the filesystem is laid out is a major example of this. The entire reason that apps "disappear" when moved to the actual SD card (sd-ext) is that Gingerbread was never designed to work with this type of layout. The compatibility layer built in to allow this to work is a kludge at best. This actual layout is what Honeycomb uses, and will also be used in ICS.

What Mototola SHOULD have done, IMHO, is be up front about this and not allow app storage on the sdcard at all under Gingerbread.

I just have a feeling that ICS will unleash the TRUE power of our devices.

I agree 100%