I used Windex on my Droid...is that okay??

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow...I clean my DX with whatever happens to be handy at the moment...usually, my t-shirt...:icon_eek:

I have an OtterBox screen protector that came with the OtterBox Commuter case I won from here on DF applied...smudges, dust and sweat are about the only things I have to deal with...and the t-shirt takes care of all 3...:)

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I use alcohol wipes to clean mine. It evaporates before it can damage the phone. Same with Windex.

OP
D

ddalgi

Reaction score
THANK YOU GUYS!! I was seriously freaking out that I ruined my phone for the long run before I even started using it!! T_T omg That was a huge scare for me because it's my first time having such an expensive and advanced phone!! I'll try to enjoy the phone...so far I've been enjoying it but it's kinda weird because I feel like it's not really mine...I haven't really untapped its "full potential" 'cause I'm afraid I'm gonna overload it haha. Thanks again everyone :)

yurdle

Reaction score
Lol yeah you really don't need to worry... my girlfriend cleans her phone every time she gets off work with some cleaning wipe and she hasn't had a problem... only time she had a problem was when she ran out of the wipes and used a wash cloth with water and soap or something like that lol(I did a face palm when she told me)... ended up messing up her bottom buttons on her DX took it to verizon and told them what happened and they were more than happy to replace it for her... Love the guys at my local verizon store.. :) they have two android techs that will talk to me about rooting and roms and stuff lol its awesome..

kevinkar

Reaction score
LCD screens, like on your computer monitor, are different. You should never spray anything ON them but on the cleaning cloth first (drips of liquid that get through the bezel are not good for things plugged into the AC). Even then you should be careful and gentle and not use anything stronger than water or a cleaning solution specifically made for that situation (same is true of your TV screens.)

Gorilla glass is pretty tough stuff and you can probably clean it with something much stronger than Windex or alcohol and it will be just fine. The plastic of the phone body itself is another thing. No telling what might dissolve that before it's too late. However, I use the Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers wipes on my phone all the time and no problems so far. They are just alcohol based wipes.

zero7404

Reaction score
LCD screens, like on your computer monitor, are different. You should never spray anything ON them but on the cleaning cloth first (drips of liquid that get through the bezel are not good for things plugged into the AC). Even then you should be careful and gentle and not use anything stronger than water or a cleaning solution specifically made for that situation (same is true of your TV screens.)

Gorilla glass is pretty tough stuff and you can probably clean it with something much stronger than Windex or alcohol and it will be just fine. The plastic of the phone body itself is another thing. No telling what might dissolve that before it's too late. However, I use the Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers wipes on my phone all the time and no problems so far. They are just alcohol based wipes.

some screens that have a treatment/coating on them should only be cleaned with moist cloth (water). such as is done with lenses for cameras. i have a television that i use only a moist cloth on the glass because of this coating. but for most other glass such as my laptop (the screen is glass) and phones, using windex should not be an issue.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
why are you messing with this guy? no coming back from that? lol u act like he killed someone. its a one time thing. nothing will happen.

Really?

Well I guess I now know you are the authority on Gorilla Glass.

AFAIK when Motorola says not to use any alcohol based cleaners I don't do it.

Also, if you have ever owned any LCD or Plasma screen, you know not to use Windex on the screen. I've seen what it does, so I won't use it on ANY LCD screen no matter what you say.

I would rather prepare someone for the worst than tell them it will all be fine and it ends up that its not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rkeller62

Reaction score
While I don't think that a little Windex once in a while is going to cause serious harm to the screen, I wonder why people want to take a risk with any liquid on their phone? A simple clean dry microfiber cloth does a fantastic job of cleaning my OG Droid screen and has for the past 18 months. No need for any liquid of any kind.

Guyute

Reaction score
I've had my DX since launch date and have been using windex sprayed on a cloth for the last 8 months to clean off my phone. Absolutly nothing whatsoever has happened to the glass or the rest of the phone for that matter. My DX runs great!!! If nothing has happened in 8 months I'm sure nothing will happen by the time I hit 20 months and get a new phone. Don't let people freak you out, again it's done nothing to my phone except clean it up.

Guyute

Reaction score
With that said, I would never spray it on the phone, just a tiny bit sprayed on a micocloth, this way no liquid gets in your phone.

qman66

Reaction score
why are you messing with this guy? no coming back from that? lol u act like he killed someone. its a one time thing. nothing will happen.

Really?

Well I guess I now know you are the authority on Gorilla Glass.

AFAIK when Motorola says not to use any alcohol based cleaners I don't do it.

Also, if you have ever owned any LCD or Plasma screen, you know not to use Windex on the screen. I've seen what it does, so I won't use it on ANY LCD screen no matter what you say.

I would rather prepare someone for the worst than tell them it will all be fine and it ends up that its not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
really? u are lying to them. by using it one time theres nothing to prepare for the worst. ive been using it alcohol pads on every phone ive had nothings ever happened.

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
Whenever mine gets dirty I just get a slightly damped cloth and wipe away the grease. Since I have an Otterbox I get to clean both the screen and the built in screen protector.