I touched one.

Nubbie

Reaction score
Well I live in NewYork. So I was able to get my Hands one one of the 4 devices they had on demo.
Other than waiting forever for a large fellow that was sweating profusely looking at the phone dialer (who does that?) its a smart phone. not a phone.
:icon_ poke:
After the wait I spent about 5 minutes with it.

It was light, but didn't feel cheap. It seemed a little large, but I'm coming from a D1. Ran smooth and the colors popped. (as we all know)

I focused on checking the Browser and the camera mostly.

Web pages appeared fast and navigation, double clicking, opening and closing tabs was easy.
Google homepage (being white) appeared white. didn't really notice any color hues. Though the room was full of flashing TVs, pad devices, and displays made it hard to really get a good inspection.

Camera...so as we have all heard. Kinda weak. It appears to be true. yes there is no shutter lag. but just panning around taking a couple pics. they were all blurry. there were a lot of options for camera settings, timelapse, panorama, other filters and editing tools. programming is great but the functioning is a little off.

Lag between vertical and horizontal views are a concern to me. In the messaging screen and webpages there was a couple seconds before the transition effect even started. hopefully that can be fixed in an update.

As for ICS itself. It was very simple to use and had nice flow to it. I don't like that the setting button moves around depending on what application youre in. I wasn't able to see if you can add homescreens or make the dock scrollable for more icons. (though all that can be done through 3rd party launchers)

Once again this is from only 5 minutes of hands on time.
ohh and I ran a performance test on it came in at 16k downloading speed and 13k uploading. at 31ms or whatever.

There were a couple flaws that are hard to overlook (camera, landscape lag)
But It seems to be overall pretty sweet.
I'm excited to own one and customize the hell out of it.dancedroid

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Who WOULDN'T sweat profusely with the NEXUS in hand?

Your hands have touched greatness! :hail:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I touched one too. I went right up to my TV. It was very unresponsive though and quite large. :p

jcardona1

Reaction score
How is the camera's auto focus? Do you have to touch-to-focus or does it focus as you snap the photo? I'm wondering if you gave the camera a chance to focus before you pressed the shutter?

All the videos i see it takes a second or two to focus and afterwards, the shutter is instant. Kinda find it hard to believe every single picture you took was blurry :)

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Reaction score
How is the camera's auto focus? Do you have to touch-to-focus or does it focus as you snap the photo? I'm wondering if you gave the camera a chance to focus before you pressed the shutter?

All the videos i see it takes a second or two to focus and afterwards, the shutter is instant. Kinda find it hard to believe every single picture you took was blurry :)

I didnt fiddle around with the focus. just started to take pictures. When I was holding still it took nice pictures. If I moved and snapped shots they were blurry.

proangler

Reaction score
oMG i was there too..one one time at band camp.. no pic with name typed in phone no go...

jcardona1

Reaction score
I didnt fiddle around with the focus. just started to take pictures. When I was holding still it took nice pictures. If I moved and snapped shots they were blurry.

I wonder if that's the issue? Each time you move around I'm pretty sure you need to focus it again, otherwise it will keep snapping pics from the previous focal setting, and they will be blurry after that depending on the distance to your subject.

I think we can say this phone has a semi-automatic focus. Meaning you can snap pics without focusing it, or you can focus manually by touching the screen where your subject is. Aside from that, it doesn't look as if this phone focuses each time you press the shutter, which maybe leads to a few blurry photos?

Who knows, wish i could try it out for myself!!

OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Reaction score
I really dont know. like I said I only had 5 minutes with it. and coming from D1 camera there was a lot of camera ignorance on my part.

pilot25

Reaction score
So it's confirmed, the vertical transition to horizontal is lagging.

Deal breaker to you??

yes here..

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering it's software related, no.

It's called a brand new OS, needs tweaking like any new OS.

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not a deal breaker to me either as I don't use horizontal frequently anyway

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
So it's confirmed, the vertical transition to horizontal is lagging.

Deal breaker to you??

yes here..

Seriously? Over something that is obviously both minor and likely to be corrected?

I find that odd. So, I take it you are abstaining from all phones currently, still awaiting that perfect, flawless device?

pilot25

Reaction score
Seriously? Over something that is obviously both minor and likely to be corrected?

I find that odd. So, I take it you are abstaining from all phones currently, still awaiting that perfect, flawless device?

Seriously....This is a basic feature that shouldn't have an issue. The fact this simple feature that has been in phones since the first iphone, it is only a window, in addition to the recent delay due to volume, to the numerous problems this device will have or already has.

This isn't a new fangled feature, this is basic. Sadly Samsung's beta testing team is clearly deficient.

Last edited: