I need a splash of water, please. (Rezound consideration)

revelated

Reaction score
OK.

• - Owned Samsung Fascinate. Great phone. Traded into Verizon.
  • - Got Thunderbolt when it was first released. Decent phone, bad battery, bad hotspot. LOVE the kickstand. Still own it, plan to trade it in.
  • - Got Droid Charge when it was first released. Nice screen, terrible reception, hated the build quality. Returned it.
  • - Got Droid Bionic when it was first released. Hotspot works great, battery was good, reception was hit-or-miss, call quality poor. Still own it, plan to trade it in.
  • - Got Droid RAZR recently. Great call quality, great reception, hotspot iffy, battery requires some hardcore management.

I did consider the Rezound. I used it at the Verizon store. So much jumped out at me that I don't know where to begin.
  1. It's UGLY. I mean physically UGLY. The rubberized back annoys me. The shape of the phone annoys me. The bulk of the phone annoys me. Don't even get me started on the red accenting. When I was a teenager, yes, I would have loved this design. Now that I'm an older, working professional, I look more forward to simplistic, professional designs.
  2. The screen looked little different from the Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt has an OK screen and I'm generally alright with regular LCD, but the viewing angles are terrible, and the glass overtop is so thick that using the thing outdoors is a pointless endeavor due to the glare.
  3. Performance didn't impress me at all compared to what the RAZR was doing. And this I really didn't understand, given the form factor differences. I would think the Rezound should be light years faster. But the Rezound was jittery, stuttering, struggling to do certain animations for some reason.
  4. I can't stand that Beats Audio is forced upon you. I don't want it, don't care for it, don't care for the branding of it, and I don't care to make it look like even more of a tank just to get rid of the branding.

...so, I ask here. And I ask because I need to know. I am NOT trolling. I need to understand. Those that own the Rezound, please...ignore the HD screen for the moment. Pretend it doesn't exist. I mean do you guys actually enjoy the look of the phone? How often do you really use Beats? Do you care that Beats is likely swelling the price by $100-$200 just because it's on the device?

fobpartisan

Reaction score
Own the rezound n won't exchange it for nexus or any other phone. How can I ignore the hd display? Its the most used part of the phone. If u don't like the phone then don't look at it. Think about it. Or touch it. Plain simple. Everyone has a different taste. Can't expect everyone to hate this phone. To me its way better then razr or bionic. Samsung is larger then rezound. Add the case and its even bigger. My rezound works fast. Smooth scrolling. Fast 3G internet. Not just 4G. Battery lasts all day. I can go on n on.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I don't have one and wouldn't get one because of the Nexus. To me the beats is a gimmik, sure it's pretty good but it only works with the stock music player (I use google music.) People have also said the headphones aren't great... I also like the red and design.

If it came down to Rezound vs razr I think I'd go with Rezound. I'm simply not a fan of the Razr battery or build design.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Ignoring the screen really isn't possible but I will list the things I like outisde the screen.. the thing that led me away from the razr (which I got on launch day) was battery life.. and the rezound is miles better for me. I could care less about beats audio in fact I haven't even taken the headphones out of the box, and I don't use the stock music app so I couldn't take advantage of that feature anyway. I actuallly prefer the form factor/feel much better. Although I will admit, to me in a "looks" contest I prefer the razr but it was kinda awkward to hold. As far as the rubberized back I like it better than the slick back of the razr. One more point about speed.. I have yet to make my phone really hiccup or stutter, lag or any of that. Oh yeah I almost forgot... The camera is wayyyy better than the razr's.. I can honestly say I don't regret taking the razr back for the rezound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I am 50 years old and understand some of your concerns. Hell, I haven't even taken the Beats headphones out of the package.

However... I love this phone. The way it looks, the way it feels in the hand, the way it works. I haven't been happy with a phone since my Incredible. My wife will attest to this fervently. :D

I am happy, very. I don't even miss my Dinc anymore.

warnette

Reaction score
The small red accents are unprofessional but meaningless Kevlar backing is ok?

Now take the razr and take away its thin design what does it have?

Somewhere a bridge is being left unguarded.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
OK, this is so silly.. a small red ring around the camera and a red dime sized logo upsets someone that much? What a joke. I absolutely love how heavy this thing feels and the shape of it. I wish the screen was a touch bigger, like the nexus is supposed to be, but it's still way bigger than my og.

The beats audio stuff was released to developers so they can integrate, and any decent headphones cost $50 plus. I for one like them because you can use them as a wired headset when making calls.

Oh, the camera on this thing is awesome in my opinion. Zero shutter lag so far and the color and sharpness is great.

About the only thing I don't like is the stock keyboard. I loaded the go keyboard and am having problems. Apparently the swype everyone used to use doesn't exist anymore.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but your post sounds semi trollish.

If there was so much about the Rezound phone you didn't like and you are perfectly fine with your RAZR, then why ask if you should get it? It's ugly, performance is not that of the RAZR, etc. Don't get the Rezound because other people are doing it. Get a phone that YOU like, not that everyone else likes and can depend on, but you weren't drawn to it until someone else said you should. That's almost as bad as being a iphone sheep. I myself LOVE the Rezound. I've only been on Verizon for a few months (was recently an ATT iphone user) I've ran through a ton of phones since i've been on here. Droid Charge, Droid Incredible 2, Droid 3, Droid Bionic, and it would seem that my final stop is the Rezound. Minimal problems from the start. And it continues to impress me. I've found a few easter eggs on this device that make me smile. I think HTC outdid themselves on this one. And it didn't even need the Bionic/Nexus hype train.

I use the beats headphones, but even outside of the beats headphones and branding, it's a great phone. Can't ignore the HD screen. Would you ignore it on you RAZR? No? Didn't think so.

shanimal92

Reaction score
How is a red ring around the camera and red buttons unprofessional? Who is going to look at your phone, see red on it, and just think "That is a unprofessional looking phone." I love the feel of the phone. The whole backing is like the battery cover for the OG droid. I also the thickness because i have had the OG droid for the past two years and they're about the same thickness. I do know what you're talking about with the stuttering of the phones transitions, the Razr does seem faster. Maybe its like comparing a Macbook Air(Razr) and a Macbook Pro(Rezound), the Air is going to do little things like word processing and browsing faster but the Pro will do more demanding tasks faster. I do wish they had a different "version" that didn't come with beats headphones. i read somewhere that the headphones are like $100 by themselves. i would rather pay $199 or even $250 instead of $300 for some headphones i don't really need. It all comes down to if you don like it then dont get it. If everything about the phone bugs you this much you shoud not spend that much money on it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
but meaningless Kevlar backing is ok?

People love it. Whenever they ask about the razr the moment I get to the Kevlar part their eyes lighten up and they start freaking out. Must be a mythbuster thing.

But I wouldn't call Kevlar meaningless.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
the extended battery cover doesn't have the Beats logo on it

:blink:

cp24eva

Reaction score
Haha. You are right. I'm actually using the extended battery right now. It's actually not that bad to hold. Yes it takes away from the slimness, but it seriously does feel that bad. Just my .02.

avlena

Reaction score
I had the Razr for a few days... and then happily returned it for the Rezound. MotoBLUR UI crashed quite a bit for me (stupid thing kept unmounting my SD card for no reason), and just felt clunky. And on top of that, the phone was not ergonomically friendly, at least for my small hands. I couldn't really hold on to it with one hand and still reach the left hand side of the screen, and so as a result, I had to balance the phone on my palm while using it. Since the weight is at the top of the screen due to the camera, the balance was off, and I was always worried about dropping it.

Now, when I got the Rezound, it just felt RIGHT in my hand. It's narrower, so I have no problems holding it in my little hands. The back provides a lot more grip than the kevlar back on the Razr. Even the thickness feels better, as it almost molds into my hand. Yeah, it's more substantial than the Razr, but while I was originally worried about this, it turned out to be a great feature, not an annoying hindrance.

In terms of the screen... you can't really ignore it. Sure, your eyes will eventually adjust to the pixels on the Razr, and you'll no longer see the slight black dots that are visible when viewing white areas.... but why adjust to poor quality? Why not enjoy a crisp, clear, glorious display from the start?

Anyway, I tried the Razr, hated it, and have loved my Rezound ever since. :p

cp24eva

Reaction score
I had the Razr for a few days... and then happily returned it for the Rezound. MotoBLUR UI crashed quite a bit for me (stupid thing kept unmounting my SD card for no reason), and just felt clunky. And on top of that, the phone was not ergonomically friendly, at least for my small hands. I couldn't really hold on to it with one hand and still reach the left hand side of the screen, and so as a result, I had to balance the phone on my palm while using it. Since the weight is at the top of the screen due to the camera, the balance was off, and I was always worried about dropping it.

Now, when I got the Rezound, it just felt RIGHT in my hand. It's narrower, so I have no problems holding it in my little hands. The back provides a lot more grip than the kevlar back on the Razr. Even the thickness feels better, as it almost molds into my hand. Yeah, it's more substantial than the Razr, but while I was originally worried about this, it turned out to be a great feature, not an annoying hindrance.

In terms of the screen... you can't really ignore it. Sure, your eyes will eventually adjust to the pixels on the Razr, and you'll no longer see the slight black dots that are visible when viewing white areas.... but why adjust to poor quality? Why not enjoy a crisp, clear, glorious display from the start?

Anyway, I tried the Razr, hated it, and have loved my Rezound ever since. :p

Ya know, the Rezound hasn't been out for long. I hope we can still say the same thing about this phone a year or two down the road.

avlena

Reaction score
lol... true, it's only been a few weeks. But I had an Original Droid for 2 years... my bar is pretty low. :happy3:

since everyone on these forums are probably gadget geeks, it's possible that when the next best thing comes out, we'll be wishing we got that instead of the Rezound, but you'll wait forever if you want the "best" in any electronics. :biggrin: