I am going to get old trying to root this moto droid. Help!

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Specs: Motorola Android-2.2.2-FRG83G
I have scoured dozens of sites looking for help with rooting and installing a new ROM for my phone. I have finally given up since the answers do not appear to be out there. I have been able to root, but have had no luck with flashing the ROM. I get a signature not verified error or a 7 something error.
Here is what I did:
I used superoneclick to root the phone. I then downloaded ROM manager and backed up my phone. I tried to download Peter Alfonsos latest ROM 17 but when I opened it up there where 2 folders and was not sure what to pull in. I tried GPA 16 and that didn’t work either. I went to reinstall my original ROM and was not able to pull it off from clockwordmod. Luckily, I used TB and it did bring back my ROM. (I was lucky I did that or I would f’ed right now)
Question:
What am I doing wrong? Is my root bad? I keep seeing something about Nandroid, but my recovery reboot does not give me that option. Do I need to re-root? All the comments and instructions seem to be from mid 2010 and in old versions of ROM manager. Can someone please help?
Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Link one in my signature will get you rooted.

If you insist on superoneclick, you should at least download MotoCache's complete root update.zip file and flash it with RM no wipe.

That will remove FRS for you and make your life quite a bit easier.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

OP
F

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Link one in my signature will get you rooted.

If you insist on superoneclick, you should at least download MotoCache's complete root update.zip file and flash it with RM no wipe.

That will remove FRS for you and make your life quite a bit easier.

Thank you thank you thank you..

I do not insist on anything. If superclick does not work, I will abandon it asap. However I do have the super user icon and I have been using TB to back up and it asks for superuser permission which I am able to grant. So I think I have root. Just not working properly would be my guess. I will put motocache update on and see what it does. Thanks again.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then you are rooted!

That MC1 file allows custom recovery to stick.

Android OS (since 2.2) will rewrite stock recovery if it detects non-stock recovery. This causes trouble during a bootloop with FRS still enabled as it will boot to stock recovery.

Good luck!

OP
F

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Then you are rooted!

Android OS (since 2.2) will rewrite stock recovery if it detects non-stock recovery. This causes trouble during a bootloop with FRS still enabled as it will boot to stock recovery.

I tried it but when I go to download the MC1 from RM on sd card it just shows the 3 files in the folder meta inf, scripts and systems. Have not clue what to do from there. It does not prompt to do anything. I pressed one of the files and then it took me to a blank screen. Been at this for days.

OP
F

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Then you are rooted!

Good luck!

I tried doing MC1 in cwm recovery mode and get signature verification error. I have RM 4.3.3 currently installed from the market

OP
F

Faulkner33

Reaction score
I tried doing MC1 in cwm recovery mode and get signature verification error. I have RM 4.3.3 currently installed from the market

Sorry to keep babbling away. CWM had an option to use sprrecovery and i went for it. It is allowing me to finally do the nandroid backup I have searched for all this time. I am now following your flashing rom best practices guidelines. Thanks for listening.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry was sleeping. Glad you made out ok!

OP
F

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Sorry was sleeping. Glad you made out ok!

Unfortunately- I got stopped after #2 of your directions
After step 2, install queue never shows up when I select my rom.

3. Next RM will have an “Install Queue” window pop up. Just select the “OK” button.
4. The next window will be titled “ROM Pre-Installation” with two options; “Backup Existing ROM” and Wipe Data and Cache”. ALWAYS choose the first option and for the purposes of this guide, select the second one too as the decision behind this choice is beyond the scope of this guide.
5. Then at the bottom, just tap “OK” and watch your phone go to work.

I wonder if I should unroot my phone and start over?