I am beginning to regret buying my Droid

billy_the_kid

Reaction score
I have always had a Blackberry and about 2 month ago bought the Motorola Droid. I depend on my phone for a lot of things. One major issue I have is getting emails sent to my phone. I have a couple of emails set up on my phone other than gmail. One is a work email that I need to get when its sent.
I am about half in the field and half in the office so I do not always have access to a computer so getting my emails are very important.

The problem I have is that my emails are getting to me HOURS after they are sent. I have gone in and set the time to check emails every 5 minutes. Some of my accounts, I am not getting at all unless I click them on the phone and then it checks for them.

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I have to live with this with the Droid? If this is the best they can do, then I will pay the full price and go back to the Blackberry.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Give Touchdown a try....They have a free trial.

PhilD

Reaction score
Are you using the stock email app? if so, try K9 Mail in the market - it works reliably and is free

kendeezy

Reaction score
hmm thats strange. I also have the moto droid and i seem to get my emails exactly on time... then again i have gmail accounts so maybe that is the problem for you. sorry dude

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
k-9 mail will push non-gmail emails. download that and give it a try, get my mail instantly.

Joker

Reaction score
I use the stock email app (yellow color icon) and have the email check frequency set to "automatic (push)" and I get my emails (non-gmail) on time. Have you tired that instead of every 5 min?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I'm on exchange at work and sometimes my droid notification is going off before my desktop is.

If you are running on an exchange, I'd check your settings and try again. Maybe try one of those other apps and see if that helps.

jasonty

Reaction score
My settings has " never, 5 min-1 hour", with nothing about "automatic (push)".

I use the stock email app (yellow color icon) and have the email check frequency set to "automatic (push)" and I get my emails (non-gmail) on time. Have you tired that instead of every 5 min?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I would suggest using an email app such as K-9. I have been using this exclusively with both gmail, cox.net and an exchange account for work. I get emails faster than my computer. Dump the stock email app.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The problem lies in the fact that emails are BlackBerry's strong point. No other phone comes close to RIM'S instant email technology. Droid isn't for everybody. Its focuses are: apps, customization, and web, to name a few. Apps are available to instantly "push" non-gmail emails to your Droid for free though. So I'd give some of them a shot before you turn away a truly amazing device for a lower performing one.

kefler

Reaction score
I disagree. IMAP supports push. IMAP isn't droid specific, and K-9 with an IMAP server is instant delivery. Any issues like this are probably server/setup issues vs anything to do with the Droid.

groovydeus

Reaction score
...One major issue I have is getting emails sent to my phone...
Is there something I am doing wrong or do I have to live with this with the Droid? If this is the best they can do, then I will pay the full price and go back to the Blackberry.

I use the stock email client, set up for my companies exchange server (push) and mail appears instantaneously (also syncs my company calendar). Without fail. Also set to sync both my .mac and gmail accounts (both imap) ... no problems.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I disagree. IMAP supports push. IMAP isn't droid specific, and K-9 with an IMAP server is instant delivery. Any issues like this are probably server/setup issues vs anything to do with the Droid.

Agreed. I was mainly referring to "out of the box" though. I work for VZW and even from personal experience with both, Blackberry notifies on all emails faster than others..without any apps or setting changes. Of course, it has something to do with the fact That the Canadian company began life as an email company. I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Droid though. And if you can get free apps to make emails just as fast on Droid as Blackberry, well that's just win win IMO.

Kias

Reaction score
I have an exchange server for my home email, and exchange at work. So I use touchdown with two profiles. I get the email on my phone before my desktop does every single time.

Even had a coworker with a blackberry send an email to both of us. I got the email about ten seconds before he did! He's jealous now... LoL!

Sent from my Droid