I am beginning to regret buying my Droid

mentaloaf

Reaction score
I have a moto droid amd I use gmail and non google email both and they both come in within seconds using the stock email app....I don't think it's the droid to blame. Even before I rooted, right out of the verizon store my email worked in seconds...maybe your email provider has some issue with the droid...you should really look at switching to gmail, it is tha shiznit

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never used K9 or any other 3rd party app, the stock app works right on time for me :/

Touchdown is a much better app though. The biggest thing it does that the stock mail app doesn't is automatically sync Exchange subfolders via Activesync.

And having used a BlackBerry (BIS) in an Exchange environment, I can say the Droid totally kills the BlackBerry right out of the box with Exchange support. I can't speak for folks connecting to a BES, but that is a very expensive option.

aldaudio

Reaction score
definitely use K-9.

and as a previous poster said, blackberry's strong point is the email, so you wont find something that will match it, but k-9 is a very nice app. wayyyy better than the stock app.

iPirate

Reaction score
I get emails on my phone before I can get them on my PC even after refreshing once or twice... Do you have a bad connection?

Where do you set your sync setting to 5 minutes? I cant find that anywhere

OP
B

billy_the_kid

Reaction score
I use the stock email app (yellow color icon) and have the email check frequency set to "automatic (push)" and I get my emails (non-gmail) on time. Have you tired that instead of every 5 min?

I do not have an "automatic" My settings are:

Never
5 min
Every hour

How do you set it to automatic?

Joker

Reaction score

Never
5 min
Every hour

It may be a setting with your work email server. My work uses an exchange server. It was just an option that was available (above the Never option), nothing I did special on the DROID. Perhaps you could contact your IT at work ask if push notification is available for your email.

On a side note, have you tried the other email apps suggested? I have read many users using K-9 and seems to potentially accomplish what you are looking for.

OP
B

billy_the_kid

Reaction score

Never
5 min
Every hour

It may be a setting with your work email server. My work uses an exchange server. It was just an option that was available (above the Never option), nothing I did special on the DROID. Perhaps you could contact your IT at work ask if push notification is available for your email.

On a side note, have you tried the other email apps suggested? I have read many users using K-9 and seems to potentially accomplish what you are looking for.

I am looking into the touchdown and the k9 as we speak. Thanks for the info...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of emails set up on my phone other than gmail. One is a work email that I need to get when its sent.
Please always include the email account type and the app you're using in threads like this. It makes a difference when it comes to assisting you. We're all using various email accounts and clients and we're not psychic.

I am looking into the touchdown and the k9 as we speak. Thanks for the info...
Touchdown won't help if you're not on Exchange which is why I asked for clarification on what type of email account you have. "Work" and "corporate" really don't mean anything in this context.

k-9 mail will push non-gmail emails. download that and give it a try, get my mail instantly.
K9, or any app for that matter, cannot turn a non-push email account into push. Frequent polling != push. If you're referring to IMAP, it's the IMAP account and not K9 that's responsible.

The problem lies in the fact that emails are BlackBerry's strong point. No other phone comes close to RIM'S instant email technology.
People seem to love to parrot that statement. It's a handy rule of thumb but like any rule of thumb it has its shortcomings as it's a broad generalization. Personally I prefer the Droid with Exchange via ActiveSync (and Touchdown) over a BB with BES. The latter only offers push and reconcile, as any BB does at best, but ActiveSync offers true sync which is a major plus IMO.

Where the BB would have an advantage is with non-push email accounts (typically POP). BIS is very well designed to adjust polling frequency based on email account activity and increased polling frequency has no effect on the device's battery life since BIS isn't on the device itself. That said, it's also a double-edged sword as BIS is part of the carrier/RIM infrastructure and any BB user can tell you that outages are an issue.

I can't speak for folks connecting to a BES, but that is a very expensive option.
With hosted BES it isn't. There's still a premium over other solutions but I was paying MailStreet $20/mo for hosted BES which is a fairly typical price. Hosted ActiveSync costs a bit less.

Last edited:

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Touchdown here--only e-mail client which has been bought-off by our Security folks for Android. Paid the $20 and have never looked back. Does everything I need / easy interface / customizable / etc. I do nothing but manual syncs as it helps conserve battery life--however--I have all my e-mail and Calendar updates in about 10 seconds when doing so. FWIW

- Mega

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
touchdown activesync to the exchange server in backroom and its awesome. as mentioned above the subfolder sync for folders NOT a subset on inbox is super.

slinky

Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe that any phone is better than a blackberry bold or curve at doing email. Not only is the keyboard great for typing but emails arrive quickly, the phone battery lasts a good long time, the phone operation is superb and you should never miss calls with it, even if your phone is engaged with getting emails. Those phones are made for great email and contacts. Just dial your contact's name and it's poetry to use the phone.

K-9 is a great application but, if you're using POP (especially), the phone can have many moments of lag and sluggish behavior. Using the keyboard and the features of K-9 are much better than the iPhone but there is no way I can compare it to how efficient it was to use the BB. The only way K-9 blows away the BB is the ability to more easily look at several email folders quickly instead of using the BB's horrible scroll, scroll, scroll method to click on each email account's icon if you want individual view.

If power email is a necessity, I would never go away from a BB. The Droid provides a far superior browsing experience, more apps, more memory, more overall utility. I do miss some of the great but expensive Blackberry apps and the backup to PC amongst others. Hopefully Froyo and Android 2.2 will bring additional improvements under the hood. Rumor has it that battery life and efficiency are greatly enhanced. Staying positive here...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I moved from a Blackberry Curve and was immediately disappointed with the stock email application.

I have been using K-9 Mail ever since and I get my emails about as fast as I did with the Blackberry. You can set every email to 1 minute which is about as fast as you'll get with any phone.

It's free and it has a tremendous amount of options.

slinky

Reaction score
One thing - unless I missed it, there is no way to auto empty trash on K9. I am happy to have it (hated deleted messages by accident on the BB). You'll want to and need to delete them often if you are using POP or storing them on the device.