Huawei is Working on Their Own Smartphone OS [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
huawei-sign-glowing-white.jpeg

According to the latest intel, Huawei is developing their own smartphone operating system. If this rumor is true, then Huawei may one day ditch Android in favor of their own OS, or it could simply be the company's way of creating a backup in case Google ever decides to make Android less "developer friendly."

Obviously, Huawei isn't the first big smartphone OEM to do this. Samsung is famous for trying to foist Tizen on some of its customers. In some areas, and with some alternative devices, it has been successful, but you can hardly call Tizen's device coverage extensive.

Ultimately, since Android is basically given away for free from Google, and already has its own large brand following, it seems unlikely that either Huawei or Samsung would dump Android anytime soon. Still, it's probably wise of them to at least cover their bases.

Source: Phandroid

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Obviously, Huawei isn't the first big smartphone OEM to do this. Samsung is famous for trying to foist Tizen on some of its customers. In some areas, and with some alternative devices, it has been successful, but you can hardly call Tizen's device coverage extensive.

Looks like Sammy is doing fine with Tizen.

Next Wave of Tizen Phones will be available worldwide

After the successful launch of the “Z1”. Samsung has decided to bring the next Generation of its Tizen Phones to additional markets such as the US, Europe, China, Russia, Malaysia and its own home market Korea.

The Samsung Z2 will feature better hardware, but will still be priced aggressively to compete against well established players like iOS and Android. The specs of the Z2 are rumored to be as follows: a quad-core CPU, 1 GB of RAM, an LCD display with 960×540 Pixels, a 2000 mAh battery and the newest Tizen 3.0 UI.

Tizen's global rollout will be supported by Samsung's decision to bring the OS to other electronic appliances such as Smart-TVs.
As of May 2nd, Samsung has also opened the Tizen App Store for worldwide visitors.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ugh. I'm all for competition, but I worry about folks that make GREAT hardware making software that I don't want to use, if nothing else because I'm so entrenched in the Android ecosystem.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Ugh. I'm all for competition, but I worry about folks that make GREAT hardware making software that I don't want to use, if nothing else because I'm so entrenched in the Android ecosystem.
I agree.. I wouldn't worry too much.. Sammy has a long and tough road ahead. It will take years for them to gain any measurable market share...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like Sammy is doing fine with Tizen.

Next Wave of Tizen Phones will be available worldwide

After the successful launch of the “Z1”. Samsung has decided to bring the next Generation of its Tizen Phones to additional markets such as the US, Europe, China, Russia, Malaysia and its own home market Korea.

The Samsung Z2 will feature better hardware, but will still be priced aggressively to compete against well established players like iOS and Android. The specs of the Z2 are rumored to be as follows: a quad-core CPU, 1 GB of RAM, an LCD display with 960×540 Pixels, a 2000 mAh battery and the newest Tizen 3.0 UI.

Tizen's global rollout will be supported by Samsung's decision to bring the OS to other electronic appliances such as Smart-TVs.
As of May 2nd, Samsung has also opened the Tizen App Store for worldwide visitors.
I didn't say Sammy wasn't doing fine with Tizen did I? I simply said that you "can hardly call Tizen's device coverage extensive." Compare the number of mobile devices with Tizen to the number that use something mainstream (like Android, iOS and even Windows 10 Mobile) and you will see that Samsung has a steep hill to climb. I am not saying they can't make the climb, just that at the present moment they are looking up the slope. ;)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I didn't say Sammy wasn't doing fine with Tizen did I? I simply said that you "can hardly call Tizen's device coverage extensive." Compare the number of mobile devices with Tizen to the number that use something mainstream (like Android, iOS and even Windows 10 Mobile) and you will see that Samsung has a steep hill to climb. I am not saying they can't make the climb, just that at the present moment they are looking up the slope. ;)
No you said it's an uphill battle and I agree.. I was just pointing out Sammy's expansion to additional markets..

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... it's surprising how hard Samsung is pushing Tizen. It actually makes sense with their other devices too. If they can grab enough marketshare by including Tizen in our TVs, appliances, and other IoT connected home gadgets, they could eventually build enough marketshare to actually compete with Android in the mobile space too.

It will take a while to get there, but it is possible. For now, it makes far more sense for Samsung to continue using Android for their biggest mobile sales, simply because they pay nothing for it, and get all of the free advertising that goes along with it (from Google and other OEMs using Android). Ultimately, there might come a point in which Samsung could switch over to Tizen and we might not even care. I wonder how long that might take?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Unless Sammy makes Android apps compatible with Tizen, I don't see them gaining much traction in the US. As Jonny mentioned, most folks are already fully entrenched in the Android ecosystem, and converting to a brand new OS & app store will be a tough sell....here in the US. Just look at Sammies app store. It's been around since their original Galaxy S line was released & it still isn't thriving.
You can't compare what happens around the world with what is popular in the US.... people hate change here, so it's going to be a tough sell.
That's just my opinion though.

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like tizen is for poor people on welfare or those moving to "smartphone" from dumb phone. What were these called in the past, feature phones?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... it's surprising how hard Samsung is pushing Tizen. It actually makes sense with their other devices too. If they can grab enough marketshare by including Tizen in our TVs, appliances, and other IoT connected home gadgets, they could eventually build enough marketshare to actually compete with Android in the mobile space too.

It will take a while to get there, but it is possible. For now, it makes far more sense for Samsung to continue using Android for their biggest mobile sales, simply because they pay nothing for it, and get all of the free advertising that goes along with it (from Google and other OEMs using Android). Ultimately, there might come a point in which Samsung could switch over to Tizen and we might not even care. I wonder how long that might take?
The only thing I'm surprised at is how long it took to get the ball rolling. It's the only thing left that isn't Samsung, like iOS belongs to Apple. Everything else they've done has been mimicking Apple and adding on to it with goodies such as Edge,S Pen, etc.
As far as Tizen being for the poor or welfare recipients, I'm not poor and I like Tizen so far and welfare recipients have nicer phones than me because they've got more disposable income the way the tax rules are written. The T2 makes more sense if they market it toward pre pay to start with in the U.S. and stick with Android for now with their flagship devices.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><