HTC Thunderbolt vs EVO3D

nkgangew

Reaction score
I don't know where you are but on the east coast, I've found Sprint's network to be excellent. I've found the VZW network claim to be a lot of hooey that people buy into. It almost always comes into play where it's a matter of (a) GSM v. CDMA and (b) specific parts of the country that are not major urban/economic areas.

I can't speak of the reliability of Sprints network, bit I can speak of the speed. It has been recorded that the 3g VZW network is actually faster than the Sprint 4g! Sprint (and to some extent, at&t) rushed their 4g networks out to be the first networks with 4g. 4g and 3g was originally supposed to have a similar difference that you see in DSL and cable internet. The companies changed it to a definition of "anything faster than 3g". VZW took its time and did it the right way, now the other networks are struggling to keep up. This is also why VZW made sure to advetise the LTE part of 4g, as the other carriers dumbed down the original definition of 4g. Anyways, 4g doesn't have a definition anymore to many people, but LTE definitely does!

Yeah that is definitely pink ponies. my GF has the evo shift, and in areas where she does get 4G the connection pumps 8 Mbit/s or more. even in the best area of cuyahoga county for verizons 3G (that I have found so far) I can only get 2 Mbit/s.

Cuyahoga? I used to spend my summers in Cleveland. Big Browns and Indians fan. Anyways, I'm sorry if i gave you the impression that sprint 4g is always slower than VZW 3g, its just been clocked as running faster at some point and place . It would vary from area to area. I will look up the link to it for you. And I'm not going to fight on a forum, but I've gotten 27.8 MB/s in Baltimore on VZW 4g. Consistantly over 20 MB/s. So as far as where I am, there's roughly a 20mb download speed difference in my area compared to sprints fastest.

Last edited by a moderator:

nkgangew

Reaction score
Before considering switching to Sprint, may want to read the article linked below, which is also my way of sourcing my information of the above conversation. Its nice to have sources to back up the facts:
http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/01/sprint-4g-wimax/
Note: this source only backs up my second claim. I can post a link to back up the source of my first claim if desired.

Last edited:

MTBryan

Reaction score
Before the TBolt I was a Sprint customer for 12 years. It has been a comparitive joy being on a reliable network (Verizon).
My Sprint experience:
Consistantly crappy coverage compared to Verizon.
More dropped calls.
Fought for 3 months over $300 in roaming charges when my phone was set NOT to roam AND I was in a coverage area.
Fought for 5 months over fradulent international charges ($2700) after my account was hacked and I IMMEDIATELY called to cancel that service once hacked.
Crappy customer service (got a bit better recently).

I would have bailed Sprint sooner but I had 4 phones going at various renewal intervals.

BTW: A friend has the Sprint 4g Evo and the speeds while teathered via wifi to my computer are 1/2 than my TBolt (and less).

Good luck in Sprint land. The grass won't be greener.

Sent from my TBolt

UNC

Reaction score
The evo 3d wins by default. Its an actual new device with battery life of longer than one hour..... Ok ok 4 hrs.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Even here in Honolulu my friends and acquaintances consistently talk about their dropped calls issues on Sprint/Nextel.... It's like with anything else we buy in life, sometimes it's better to pay a little more for better quality.
Perfect example;... I see so many of my friends buying those $100-$150 dressers made out of pressed wood, and I also see those same ones rebuying new ones after a couple years because those pressed wood dressers start falling apart...but I bought a 'REAL' wood CherryWood dresser for $800 and they looked at me like I was friggin nutz!!, but that CherryWood dresser will last me 20-30+ years!...end of discussion...lol,

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol, I worked in Hawaii for about a month last year, Verizon was rock solid everywhere I went.

sent from my bolt

nkgangew

Reaction score
The evo 3d wins by default. Its an actual new device with battery life of longer than one hour..... Ok ok 4 hrs.

How about choice "C": don't switch to the better phone which is on hands down the worst network (see above link), and don't keep the Tbolt, but stay on the nations (current) best network provider (VZW) but get the Bionic or the next superphone which matches or surpasses the Evo in every category other than the train wreck on your head from the 3D display (read an article about the evo 3D inducing head aches, can post a source to back this up too as well).

UNC

Reaction score
3d doesnt give me headaches. But it does to some people.... sucks to be them.

I agree with you about the network. But verizons network is useless when your battery is dead... anyway, I'm comparing the phones not the network.

nkgangew

Reaction score
3d doesnt give me headaches. But it does to some people.... sucks to be them.

I agree with you about the network. But verizons network is useless when your battery is dead... anyway, I'm comparing the phones not the network.

Lol, I'm comparing networks not phones, lol. I'd take the evo if it were on vzw (assuming no headaches). But, as with all smartphones, it'll be obsolete in less than a year. I mean, I'm already drooling over these dual core 1.2 and 1.5 processors (Evo) and i still have 16 months till my next upgrade! But you're right in that the Evo is definitely the better phone. I get a full day out of my tbolt battery BUT i had to root and I'm running a stripped rom in order to make my battey last (im also extremly undervolted). No one should have to root to get your phone to work as advertised. . .

UNC

Reaction score
well i have the thunderbolt and two of my coworkers have the sprint evo 4g. all though my current tb isnt rooted my forst one was and i rooted one of the two evo's and i found the tb to be easier to root. as for performance i would have to give the tb this one also. the evo can lagg a little depending one what you doing. the tb camera is better has more options. as for the 4g part of either phone with sprint you have to pay for it and extra 10 bucks and its not offered as in as many cities. michigan doesnt have it and they have to pay and extra 10 bucks for it. as for verizon its the same as the regular 3g and every month they are adding cities by the handfull. the thunderbolt also has video skype on 3g that works.these are the main differencec between the two i notice right off the bat. hope it helps?

Fair enough. We agree on what phone and network are better.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
The EVO 3D is a superior phone in every way. It may be on a slightly slower network, but LTE is very unreliable right now, I had a TB and was always losing connection. If I had a choice, I would definitely want a super-fast, cutting-edge phone on a pretty good 4G network, than a mediocre phone with bad battery life on an unreliable 4G network (AND THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO CHARGE $50 MORE FOR IT!!)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

nkgangew

Reaction score
But The network differences aren't slight. If it was ANY other network than sprint. Read the article I posted. And there are numerous other sources that confirm the same. However the severity does vary by location.

Last edited:

jdillard343434

Reaction score
ok lol your worst then window fan boys lol

Plan on switching carriers and im pretty sure I want the EVO but I love Verizon's network. The EVO is a diamond solid phone with capabilities exceeding the Thunderbolt's greatly (And most surprisingly a full days battery life), though the network im not ok with. Should I wait till LTE phones are slimmed down to last without running to a charger or just go ahead and get that beast of a phone the EVO 3D?

ok heres whats up sprint the first to implement cell towers bing 2 networks lol shudda and no lte it may go longer distance but is not d faster bam evo3d ok i came from one of the first ANDROID NO DROID NAME SO STUPID ANYWAYS IM OPEN SOURCE SO YES BIG TIME SUPPORTER OF GOOGLE AND THAT COMPANY BU THE NAME OF SPRINT IS NOTHING WRONG YOU GUYS JUST GET YOUR HEADS FILLED UP WITHT HE NONSENSE TRUTH IS SPRINT HAS BEEN MY LAST 3 YEARS AND WHEN I GOT THE 3D I WAS VERY OBJECTIVE ABOUT IT I HAD VERIZION NEVER DO THAT MISTAKE AGAIN AND LOOK AT YOUR RATES YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE ATT IF YOU WANT THINK YOUR 1 LAST TIME I CHECKED WE SHARE TOWERS BESIDES YOU DONT OWN LTE YOU LEASE SO THERE WHEN SPRINT SAME SERVICE SO GET OUT OF HERE THAT NONSENSE IT MIGHT MAKE FEEL BETTER FOR THE HIGH RATES YOU ARE PAYING TRUTH IS YOU HAVE SPRINT YOU HAVE VERIZION VICE VERSA THIS SI CRAZY TOP TELL YOU THE TRUTH I REALLY HAVE LOYALTY TO THESE THIEFS BUT ON FLIPSIDE THERE IS A OPEN SOURCE CELL COMPANY GSM VOIP SOUNDS INTRIGUING HUNNY DONT LISTEN TO T HIS CRAP OH YEAH SPRINT DOESENT LET YOUR BILL GET OUT OF CONTROL BEFORE THEY TAKE CARE OF IT OH YEA AND SPRINT ALSO A PLUS IS SPONSOR OPEN SOURCE CONVENTIONS EVERYWHERE SO YEA DONT BUY INTO THESE I DONT KNOW OK IM DONE WITH MY RANT TIME TO FLASH A AOSP OH YEA SPRINT EVEN WORKS ON MY PHONE IF ITS ROOTED I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I TOOK THAT LITTLE MOMENT ROOTED SPRINTS AWSOME THIS SI LONGEST I HA VE EVER STAYED WITH A COMPANY STOP BEING IGNORANT CLAIMING WHOS IS BETTER WHEN YOU SHARE IF YOU WERE SO BETTER WHY WERENT YOU THE FIRST TO LAUNCH ANDROID WHY ARE YOU SHARING IF YOU ARE SO GREAT DONT GET ME STARTED ON ATT =APPLE LOL:D