HTC Thunderbolt vs EVO3D

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Plan on switching carriers and im pretty sure I want the EVO but I love Verizon's network. The EVO is a diamond solid phone with capabilities exceeding the Thunderbolt's greatly (And most surprisingly a full days battery life), though the network im not ok with. Should I wait till LTE phones are slimmed down to last without running to a charger or just go ahead and get that beast of a phone the EVO 3D?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right before I got the TB I had this same dilemma. Obviously I went TB/Verizon, but man the 3D was appealing.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
VZW >>> Sprint. Phones come and go. I have never let the device decide...always the quality of service. If you go to Sprint for that phone, 12 months from now VZW will come out with something spectacular.

slinky

Reaction score
I don't know where you are but on the east coast, I've found Sprint's network to be excellent. I've found the VZW network claim to be a lot of hooey that people buy into. It almost always comes into play where it's a matter of (a) GSM v. CDMA and (b) specific parts of the country that are not major urban/economic areas.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I spent 9 hours in a 4G area with my GPS & navigation going wide open along with the internet. Today was easily the heaviest use I've ever put my TB through and by the end of it, I only had 15% left and still talked for 45 minutes non stop and had 7% left over. I have no such battery problems. I love the TB! However, the Evo3D is an outstanding phone but I would not leave VZW for it.

slinky

Reaction score
I spent 9 hours in a 4G area with my GPS & navigation going wide open along with the internet. Today was easily the heaviest use I've ever put my TB through and by the end of it, I only had 15% left and still talked for 45 minutes non stop and had 7% left over. I have no such battery problems. I love the TB! However, the Evo3D is an outstanding phone but I would not leave VZW for it.
That's nice but I'd be very nervous if my phone hit 15% without a return either to home or office in sight. Spending time in a 4G area with GPS on doesn't mean that it's being used actively. Try having 2 business and 2 personal email account going during the day, checking every 5-10 minutes. You'll be challenged with the standard battery, trust me.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
If u live in lansing michigan, don't even think of switching to sprint. I switched to them 2 days ago and I came running back to verizon today. There 3g speeds were horrible, I was lucky to get 40 kilobytes/sec downloads, most oftenn I was getting 15 kilobytes/sec.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
That's nice but I'd be very nervous if my phone hit 15% without a return either to home or office in sight. Spending time in a 4G area with GPS on doesn't mean that it's being used actively. Try having 2 business and 2 personal email account going during the day, checking every 5-10 minutes. You'll be challenged with the standard battery, trust me.

I'm pretty sure when my phone is yelling driving directions at me in google navigation and tracking my location in real time means it's being actively being used. When my phone hit 15%, I was headed home but I still talked on it for 45 minutes before I got there and had some left over. I"m pretty sure my great battery life is because of the kernel I'm using, but regardless, I don't have any battery issues and I think once everyone gets this new radio, it will help them a lot. I get the feeling you don't believe I'm getting such great battery life, so just for you, I'll run my battery down and take a screenshot of if so you can see my stats. I wish I would have done that yesterday when I had everything going wide open, but this weekend I'll have the same things happening so I'll take a screenshot.

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
well i have the thunderbolt and two of my coworkers have the sprint evo 4g. all though my current tb isnt rooted my forst one was and i rooted one of the two evo's and i found the tb to be easier to root. as for performance i would have to give the tb this one also. the evo can lagg a little depending one what you doing. the tb camera is better has more options. as for the 4g part of either phone with sprint you have to pay for it and extra 10 bucks and its not offered as in as many cities. michigan doesnt have it and they have to pay and extra 10 bucks for it. as for verizon its the same as the regular 3g and every month they are adding cities by the handfull. the thunderbolt also has video skype on 3g that works.these are the main differencec between the two i notice right off the bat. hope it helps?

Kid A

Reaction score
I've about had it with Verizon. Their devices don't launch on time, when they do they are missing simple functionality or are rushed altogether, their customer service isn't helpful in the slightest, and now they're going to tiered data plans. I have a Thunderbolt now and I'm enjoying it, but I'm definitely going to another carrier when my contract is up.

I like everything about the EVO 3D with the exception of the 3D itself. After reading reviews it seems tacked on and added at the expense of other important features (1080p recording and an 8MP shooter, for example). If only the Sensation wasn't *just* on T-Mobile...

droidxunreal

Reaction score
Ya I'm thinking of gettin a 3d too

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

nkgangew

Reaction score
The tbolt is the first phone of the current smartphone generation. If you notice, take a look at how long of a time period there was between the TBolt release, and the next smartphone release. It was a full quarter! That's a lot of time, in case your wondering. Manufacturers across the bored delayed their releases after the tbolt issues (battery and 3g/4g switch most notably). The Evo will no doubtibly be better than the thunderbolt. However, before you jump ship on carriers, remember that in a month or two, something much sweeter than the Evo 3D will be released. That's the way it is with smartphones. They become obsolete 3 months after you get it. Actually, this is why i went for the tbolt. It took almost 4 months for something better to come out! That's forever in the tech world today! So, stay with the network, and just hop on the next sweet ride that comes along.

nkgangew

Reaction score
I don't know where you are but on the east coast, I've found Sprint's network to be excellent. I've found the VZW network claim to be a lot of hooey that people buy into. It almost always comes into play where it's a matter of (a) GSM v. CDMA and (b) specific parts of the country that are not major urban/economic areas.

I can't speak of the reliability of Sprints network, bit I can speak of the speed. It has been recorded that the 3g VZW network is actually faster than the Sprint 4g! Sprint (and to some extent, at&t) rushed their 4g networks out to be the first networks with 4g. 4g and 3g was originally supposed to have a similar difference that you see in DSL and cable internet. The companies changed it to a definition of "anything faster than 3g". VZW took its time and did it the right way, now the other networks are struggling to keep up. This is also why VZW made sure to advetise the LTE part of 4g, as the other carriers dumbed down the original definition of 4g. Anyways, 4g doesn't have a definition anymore to many people, but LTE definitely does!

kptphalkon

Reaction score

I can't speak of the reliability of Sprints network, bit I can speak of the speed. It has been recorded that the 3g VZW network is actually faster than the Sprint 4g! Sprint (and to some extent, at&t) rushed their 4g networks out to be the first networks with 4g. 4g and 3g was originally supposed to have a similar difference that you see in DSL and cable internet. The companies changed it to a definition of "anything faster than 3g". VZW took its time and did it the right way, now the other networks are struggling to keep up. This is also why VZW made sure to advetise the LTE part of 4g, as the other carriers dumbed down the original definition of 4g. Anyways, 4g doesn't have a definition anymore to many people, but LTE definitely does!

Yeah that is definitely pink ponies. my GF has the evo shift, and in areas where she does get 4G the connection pumps 8 Mbit/s or more. even in the best area of cuyahoga county for verizons 3G (that I have found so far) I can only get 2 Mbit/s.

Last edited by a moderator: