Questions about the Droid Phones and Carrier

SLR2009

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have an iPhone 3GS with AT&T. I plan on switching to a different carrier and I would like an HTC Droid. I was looking into the Droid Incredible, the HTC Evo 4G/Evo Shift, the HTC Inspire, or the HTC Thunderbolt.

My Mom and Grandma need a new phone as well which means that I would need a family plan. I'm gearing more towards Verizon instead of Sprint or AT&T which means that I would like an HTC Thunderbolt when it's released. Would I be making the right decision by going with Verizon versus AT&T or Sprint?

Is the HTC Thunderbolt pretty much the same phone as the HTC EVO for Sprint or the HTC Inspire for AT&T?. Would it be worth it to go with Sprint and get the HTC Evo or is Verizon the best Carrier?

Any info is greatly appreciated

LaxzBro

Reaction score
As far as carriers go, I switched fron ATT less than a month ago. You will never look back. From my experience vzw has better cell coverage than sprint and I cannot vouch for sprints 3/4g

Lax bro, closet geek

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Sprint's 3G coverage area is smaller than Verizon's, check the 3G coverage maps to make sure that you'll be covered where you live, work, and travel.

-Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would I be making the right decision by going with Verizon versus AT&T or Sprint?
Selecting a carrier should always be based on coverage where you need it. Do not rely solely on coverage maps. I've lived in several places marked "good" on street level coverage maps with no usable signal outdoors.

I can't answer that question for you. You need to do your own due diligence.

I would like an HTC Droid.
If that's the case then Verizon is the only option. Droids are a Verizon line of Android devices. I'm guessing you meant "HTC Android" though...

Would it be worth it to go with Sprint and get the HTC Evo or is Verizon the best Carrier?
Worth is always highly subjective. Some would say yes, some would say no. Again, evaluate the carriers first based on real world coverage. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
coverage depends on your area of course. I live in the Bay Area and never had a problem with AT&T in my many years as a customer (then again i never owned a smartphone til my Droid 1).

I can tell you that Verizon has great support for Android and the coverage on Verizon is great. I would personally hold off on the Thunderbolt even though my area is going to be 4g, wait til coverage is better around the country and maybe some other phones. The Thunderbolt and Bionic are impressive, but I would hold off til my contract is over.

OP
S

SLR2009

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Is there a site where I could check real world coverage?

OP
S

SLR2009

Reaction score
So I should hold off on getting the HTC THunderbolt because of the 4G Coverage? How long should I wait? I live in New York, what kind of 4g coverage does New York have?

Is the 4G for phone calls too or just internet? What if I make a phone call to a different state that doesn't cover 4G will it downgrade to 3G? Thanks

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon has said that 4g is already available in major cities (New York counts as major =P), 4g is for the internet.