I'm in a pickle....Which phone to ask for?

bhmhrex

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new this forum, as you can see by my amount of posts ;). My wife and I went into a Verizon store the other day just to get her a new phone. I have never wanted a Droid, and often asked my co workers / friends why they waste their money on the data package for a stupid phone (I know I know). Well in the store, I started playing with the Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate....OMG...I see why they spend the money now!! I am addicted dancedroid . I came into work today and one of my co workers has the HTC Evo (Sprint) and I started playing with that and now I am torn on which phone to ask for!

Ok to the question....My wife wants to know what I want for Christmas, but I am torn between the phones. Should I wait until next year to get a new phone, because of the new 4G LTE Network, or should I jump in now and go for the Droid X, Fascinate or the HTC Evo (with Sprint). I know the HTC Evo 4G phone is only through Sprint, I have no issues changing my provider. I just want a good phone. Any pros and cons to any of the phones, any better phones out there that I didn't list that you guys think I should try out??? Please everyone help me out and give me your input!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may want to go with just a 1-year contract. :)

According to the January 2011 issue of Consumer Reports, the top phone for Verizon is the Droid X, followed closely by the Fascinate, Droid 2 and the Incredible. I say look at the people here and see how they like their phone.

As for LTE, is you city going to have it?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go to verizonwireless.com and look at the 4G coverage map and see if you will be in an area that has coverage and if you can wait then wait. If. Not get the X or the Fascinate. Just know that if you go with Sprint and the you get charged $10/month for 4G weather or not you live in a 4G network area. The Evo is a solid phone as well. I did a one month trial period with sprint.

I tell this to everyone that is un sure of which phone to get: Go to both Verizon and Sprint and play with the phones you're interested in. Its the only way to find the perfect phone for you. ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

musicman

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Honestly, android phones are great. I wouldn't change carriers unless you just find something you can't live without on the evo. My Droid X is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. My advice is to make a list of what is most important to you and see which one fits best. They are all great phones.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing you didn't mention was trying out a phone with a physical keyboard, is that something you might be interested in? It significantly reduces your choices if that is the case.

OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
One thing you didn't mention was trying out a phone with a physical keyboard, is that something you might be interested in? It significantly reduces your choices if that is the case.

I looked at the Droid 2 (I believe?) with the slide out keyboard, and it seems to be the same phone as the Droid X, just with the keyboard. My current phone is the Env Touch and as much as I like the full keyboard, I think the virtual keyboard would be ok. I would imagine it is going to take some getting used to. I tried the swype texting and it seems amazing, but it is a learning curve! :p

OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
Go to verizonwireless.com and look at the 4G coverage map and see if you will be in an area that has coverage and if you can wait then wait. If. Not get the X or the Fascinate. Just know that if you go with Sprint and the you get charged $10/month for 4G weather or not you live in a 4G network area. The Evo is a solid phone as well. I did a one month trial period with sprint.

I tell this to everyone that is un sure of which phone to get: Go to both Verizon and Sprint and play with the phones you're interested in. Its the only way to find the perfect phone for you. ;)

I called Verizon and my town does not fall within the 4G network, but the town 7 miles up the road does. We are pretty close to St. Louis, MO (about 30 miles away) and the Verizon rep said that the 4G Network will go out a ten mile radius from where it is, but they can't guarantee it would, but it shouldn't be to long before my town receives the upgrade. Are we talking a HUGE difference from the 3g to the 4g upgrade?

harrellj

Reaction score
The Droid 2 is a smaller screen than the X, they are both Motorola so both have Blur on top of it (Moto's skin).

One thing, since you said you don't mind switching carriers (and if you're not getting LTE soon), you might want to look into the Nexus S coming out next week at T-Mobile. It's a pure Google phone, and doesn't have any manufacturer's skin on top of it (and will be one of the first to get any new OS updates as a result).

ETA: For LTE speeds, its a significant speed increase. It also will allow voice/data simultaneously which CDMA (3G) does not currently allow. From an older PCWorld article:
Verizon's LTE field trials in Boston and Seattle have shown downlink average rates of 5 to 12 Mbit/sec and of 2 to 5 Mbit/sec, which will give mobile customers browsing speeds comparable to a typical wired home Internet experience, the company said.

A more recent article from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5704797/verizon-lte-speed-test-insanely-fast

Last edited:
OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
You may want to go with just a 1-year contract. :)

According to the January 2011 issue of Consumer Reports, the top phone for Verizon is the Droid X, followed closely by the Fascinate, Droid 2 and the Incredible. I say look at the people here and see how they like their phone.

As for LTE, is you city going to have it?

I know right? lol....I would just hate to spend the $199 on any of the above mentioned phones just to turn around to spend even more when the 4G network comes about. My only worry is that Verizon will be taking away the $29.99 unlimited date plan when 4G LTE becomes available. My concern for this you may ask? A verizon wireless rep said they would be doing just that when 4G becomes available in the big metropolitan areas. They said their reasoning for this is because the 4g LTE is faster and people will be using the network more so they can't keep it unlimited. She said as of now they don't see it happening within the next 60 days, but to look for it soon.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
B

bhmhrex

Reaction score
Are we talking a HUGE difference from the 3g to the 4g upgrade?

As for cost, according to Verizon LTE plans start at $50/month for 5GB of data (update) -- Engadget we will be looking at about $50/month for 5gb of data (and $80/month for 10gb).

The Verizon Rep said that as long as you are in the $29.99 unlimited plan that you are grandfathered into the unlimited plan and won't have to switch anything if you go and get a 4G LTE phone...Is this not true? The more I think about it I would say she fed me some BS for dinner last night. Reason I think that now would be because they aren't giving any 4G phones right now. So basically, when you go to get your 4G LTE phone they are going to tell you your current plan is no longer available and you now need to upgrade to this new plan, which will be the plan that is in the link...Would that be correct thinking?

fx4guy

Reaction score
Hate to be that bad egg here but i just got rid of my X after 3 batteries and it rebooting during calls it was time for it to go. Had the phone for 1 week and 2 days. Great phone if your into games and playing with apps. If you looking for a solid phone for work purposes I would suggest a blackberry. Yeah I know this is a droid forum and that it might upset everyone here but droid doesnt for me. My son who got his as part of the buy one get one has no problems with it at all. Battery last all day but thats it. My blackberry goes 3 days with me calling customers and texting moderately. If I use it a lot then a day and half. There was a guy at verizon tonight getting his 4th replacement droid not sure which one it was but i do know it wasnt the X. I know it was probably just a bad chassis but im getting ready to head out of town and need something more reliable then the X i had. Having to call customers back because my phone rebooted isnt good for business. Good luck with you choice just keep in mind their are always a few bad units out there and it doesnt make a difference which one you buy. Also keep in mind that if your not pressed for a new phone the iphone should be out in Jan which i think will kill the droid in the long run. As its a more restrictive phone towards apps and how things are allowed to work on it.

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
2 things one instead of getting a crackberry u could have gotten a droidbpro which disbanded mix and 2nd iPhone will be SOL when and if it hits in January droids are established on Verizon and iphone's are to controlled for anyone on this forum

Just my 2 pennies

Hate to be that bad egg here but i just got rid of my X after 3 batteries and it rebooting during calls it was time for it to go. Had the phone for 1 week and 2 days. Great phone if your into games and playing with apps. If you looking for a solid phone for work purposes I would suggest a blackberry. Yeah I know this is a droid forum and that it might upset everyone here but droid doesnt for me. My son who got his as part of the buy one get one has no problems with it at all. Battery last all day but thats it. My blackberry goes 3 days with me calling customers and texting moderately. If I use it a lot then a day and half. There was a guy at verizon tonight getting his 4th replacement droid not sure which one it was but i do know it wasnt the X. I know it was probably just a bad chassis but im getting ready to head out of town and need something more reliable then the X i had. Having to call customers back because my phone rebooted isnt good for business. Good luck with you choice just keep in mind their are always a few bad units out there and it doesnt make a difference which one you buy. Also keep in mind that if your not pressed for a new phone the iphone should be out in Jan which i think will kill the droid in the long run. As its a more restrictive phone towards apps and how things are allowed to work on it.

fx4guy

Reaction score
Hate to be the bummer for you blackhole but I as much as i hate apple I think its a much more stable phone then the droid. Like I said it had some really cool options but when im told by the droid rep that sometimes the apps crash the phone and make it not work ill take the restrictive iphone. But trust me you can bash BB all you want but I am already getting my emails instantly again and the battery has already out lasted my droid buy 5 hours. Not to mention when the droid can shut its self off and then turn its self back on at a prescribe times then I may consider it again. My kid loves his because it replaces his ipod touch but for me I make business calls to customers and need a phone that is reliable. The droid just couldnt compete with my storm. In the gaming market it crushes my BB but thats not what I need. My bb stays connected to the sync system in my truck my droid would only do it when it felt like it.

I think the droid is going to be its own worst enemy by spreading its self accross to many platforms they wont know how to fix what problems do come up. So rather then fixing it they just punch out another new phone. And us as the consumer get to be the lucky beta testers for the next version.

rollingrock

Reaction score
Hate to be the bummer for you blackhole but I as much as i hate apple I think its a much more stable phone then the droid. Like I said it had some really cool options but when im told by the droid rep that sometimes the apps crash the phone and make it not work ill take the restrictive iphone. But trust me you can bash BB all you want but I am already getting my emails instantly again and the battery has already out lasted my droid buy 5 hours. Not to mention when the droid can shut its self off and then turn its self back on at a prescribe times then I may consider it again. My kid loves his because it replaces his ipod touch but for me I make business calls to customers and need a phone that is reliable. The droid just couldnt compete with my storm. In the gaming market it crushes my BB but thats not what I need. My bb stays connected to the sync system in my truck my droid would only do it when it felt like it.

I think the droid is going to be its own worst enemy by spreading its self accross to many platforms they wont know how to fix what problems do come up. So rather then fixing it they just punch out another new phone. And us as the consumer get to be the lucky beta testers for the next version.

wow, you are the 1 person on the earth that likes the Storm or Storm2. I have spent the last 10 years on a BB and now having a Droid 2 for only 2 weeks, I would never go back to a BB not even the "torch" The Android OS is just so much more robust than a BB.

If you are happy with a BB, I have a Strom 2 I will sell you on the cheap. I hope you are ok with hard booting it 4 times per day due to lock issues bc the Storm and Storm 2 platform is about as stable as a Vista on a bad day. BTW the reboot only takes 12 min so if you have time to kill, the Storm 2 is the phone for you. It's the WORST phone that BB has ever made. Yeah the battery is nice but its needed bc you will spend 2 hours per day in rebooting thus taking your talk time away.

PM me if you are interested in the Storm 2....I will make you a sweet heart brother in law deal on it.

As for me, I like my phone to work and thus far my Droid 2 has been booted only 2 times since I UPGRADED to it. Lastly, if you are truly interested in the Strom2, I will also discount my Cradlepoint and cables to wifi hotspot the phone.

Cheers

RR....F250 KING RANCH GUY

Last edited: