How To Switch Between 3G And 4G On HTC Thunderbolt

versedconcepts

Reaction score
Make sure when your changing from 4g to 3g that your prl is upto date . If not you may only get 1x or no data at all. Current prl as of today is 15008

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK. Enlighten me. What the heck is a prl and how do I know if it's up to date?? Do they have expiration dates printed on them like a cup of yogurt?

ToastyZ71

Reaction score
if after switching to 3G and you get no 3G icon/signal, turn off the phone and on again.

thesandman51

Reaction score
Took the phone in the other day, they said not to do a Prl update, apparently that's not good for this phone for whatever reason. Anyway, the Guy at Verizon cleaned the sim card and that seemed to do the trick.

tata0427

Reaction score
the easiest way to do it is go to the android market and search for "LTE OnOff". it's an app to change from 4G to 3G without entering any codes or going through the phone. i've had it for over a week now its great

jogutier

Reaction score
My phone works a lot better with it being left on stock mode. Not sure why ppl want to turn it off.

Sent from a bolt of lighting!

m@tt

Reaction score
Switching your phone to 3g will save on battery usage. If you want to switch in back enable airplane mode on/off you should be good to go. I noticed huge improvement yesterday after learning about LTE app.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Switching your phone to 3g will save on battery usage. If you want to switch in back enable airplane mode on/off you should be good to go. I noticed huge improvement yesterday after learning about LTE app.

I don't agree...I did this for the first week of having the TB and I was getting 6 to 8 hrs, Now I leave it alone and I'm getting 14+

m@tt

Reaction score

I don't agree...I did this for the first week of having the TB and I was getting 6 to 8 hrs, Now I leave it alone and I'm getting 14+

I guess this could be you have 4g coverage in your area. Not all of Houston areas are 4g yet. I noticed when it switches from 4g to 3g is when using most of the battery. Work for me.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Does the 'extended controls' widget work on the TB?

I think it has 3g-4g button you can set up?

m@tt

Reaction score
Update, I was able to get a complete day out of my extended battery with switching to 3g only. At night I charger my phone, but by 11pm had 50% left. I tend to use my phone for call,texts,facebook, whatever it's pretty much used all day. I have to say using LTE app works for me.

Reaction score
hmm

What is the difference between this, and calling ##778#, going to edit, Modem Settings, REV A, and then hitting enable, menu and commit to mods? Sounds like the same thing, maybe I am missing something..

Brian

wlharris63

Reaction score
motorola

how do i switc back from 3g to 4g on motorola android 2?
ThunderboltTestMenu.jpg

If you already have a Verizon HTC Thunderbolt you will most probably notice that there isn't an easy, user-friendly way of switching 4G off or flipping a switch to 3G.

If you're an advanced user who's not afraid to enter test menus and tweak setting you will be able to expose a 3G/4G option which will allow you to choose between the two standards. You have to go into the Dialer and call *#*#4636#*#* which will take you to the Thunderbolt's Test Menu. Head over to Phone Information and Set Preferred Network Type according to your liking: available options are LTE and EV-DO, EV-DO only, and LTE only. To switch back, follow the same steps, only this time choose LTE Mode and select CDMA + LTE / EvDo auto.

Note: Playing with Advanced Setting and Test Menus is dangerous and you are doing it at your own risk!

Source: AndroidCentral Forums
Via: Engadget[/QUOTE]

amitime

Reaction score
downloaded it very easily (i'm not rooted). switched to 3G using cdma auto (prl). but, how do i switch back to 4G and when do i know to do it?