2G data on TB?

razor2006

Reaction score
I live in a rural area. I have near full 3G coverage, however there are some spots in which my DINC will drop to 1X.

Will the ThunderBolt support 2G data, or will it be 3G/LTE only? I plan to upgrade, as we will get LTE here probably within the next year or two (hopefully), however it would be nice to be able to have data access the areas in which I don't have 3G coverage now.

Furthermore, I suppose I should ask if it will operate on 2G for voice where 3G is not available? If it has zero 2G support, I'd think twice about upgrading for the simple fact of cutting my coverage area down.

In comparing the Wikipedia articles, the DINC shows CDMA2000/EV-DO Rev. A, whereas the TB shows CDMA 800/1900 MHz EVDO Rev. A., 4G LTE 700 MHz. I'm fairly new to CDMA, being a former long time ATT customer, so I'm not sure what the frequency bands are here as to what is 2G, 3G, etc. (obvioulsy 700MHz is LTE).

Anyone who can advise to or answer my question, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit:

Or am I completely misunderstanding what 1X is? I had assumed it was 2G data when my DINC shows 1X in the notification bar by the signal meter, as opposed to showing 3G, however I may be wrong completely on this. I know from a former job and dealing with older BlackBerry devices, 1x is no data, voice only; but I wasn't sure if 1X was 2G data, or what. I had made this assumption based upon my DINC clearly differentiating between 1X and 3G depending on where I am and what coverage I have, but I could be way off base.

Last edited:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well voice isn't represented by an icon such as 1x or 3G. Just the cell bars icon next to the data (1x or 3G) icon. I think its best to describe networks voice will be on as CDMA or LTE. If you have 4G LTE coverage, at least for the next year or two, voice will still be through CDMA, as Verizon isn't ready for VOiP over LTE yet. So for now, no matter what icon you have up there at thenotification bar, voice will be over CDMA.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Oh and more on 1x- I don't think its voice, its actually technically "2G" data, about as fast as AT&T's EDGE network.

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
Well, that helps to answer part of my question. Now, I'm still curious as to if the TB will support 2G data, or if it will be 3G/LTE only.

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
I'm guessing nobody knows the answer to this? lol

electric6

Reaction score
It will support ALL the same radio freq's/bands that your droid X does in addition to LTE. It would be crippling to release a phone that didnt support the radio frequencies needed to operate on big red's entire network. 1x, 2x, evdo, 3g,etc, its all supported, nothing to worry about dude :)

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
I actually have a Droid Incredible, but that's okay. Haha, I'm just giving you a hard time. Thanks for answering my question!

Raptor007

Reaction score
If I recall correctly way back before smartphones if you had 1X you were not on the 3G network, in other words you were on analog, if my memory serves correctly. Analog is long gone so as it stands today if you have 1X (which is pretty rare for me) you may well be without data for a brief amount of time or its so slow that you think you are.

Again this is going way, way back to BSP (Before SmartPhones).

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
Well, I stream an internet radio show from my DINC when on the road, and it plays even when I drop to 1X on Verizon's network, so that's what led me to believe that it was 2G data. I did notice however one time I was roaming on Sprint's network, and it showed 1X and data did not work.

wingdo

Reaction score
If I recall correctly way back before smartphones if you had 1X you were not on the 3G network, in other words you were on analog, if my memory serves correctly. Analog is long gone so as it stands today if you have 1X (which is pretty rare for me) you may well be without data for a brief amount of time or its so slow that you think you are.

Again this is going way, way back to BSP (Before SmartPhones).

Nope, 1x should NOT be confused with 1G (aka analog). 1xRTT is 2G data. If your Android phone shows 1x, you will have data, just really slow data.

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Therefore 1X would be the equivalent of AT&T's Edge network.

wingdo

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Therefore 1X would be the equivalent of AT&T's Edge network.

More akin to GPRS rather than EDGE. EDGE is kinda a 2.5G technology. Faster speeds than true 2G (like GPRS and 1xRTT), but slower than 3G. Many AT&T EDGE phones would (hell still do) fall back to GPRS when they cannot get a good enough signal.

OP
razor2006

razor2006

Reaction score
Ahhh, I gotcha. Now, with this all being said, and also considering the logic in electric6's post, will the ThunderBolt support 2G data? :p