HTC Thunderbolt Gets First One-Click EasyRoot + S-OFF from XDA

nateccnn

Reaction score
WOW! I'll start by saying I am rooted and I used the "One button" rooter in the OP. But I have to say, it was not a pleasent experience.

First...there are three buttons. Why is it called One Button? LOL

It took almost an hour to download the files needed. Granted...I had my IT crew reconfiguring our wireless at work and they were burning up what little bandwidth I have on my network, but those are some big files and the share sites they use require ads and stuff...just a real PITA to get the files downloaded.

I had to reinstall my SDK toolkit. It wanted to update all the various versions and I let it...later found out all I needed was the Android USB drivers. Oh well...when I get a Zoom I'll be ready for it. LOL

Had to move my SDK to the root directory. I've always run it from a download directory where I keep all my Android tools. Not a big deal, but it took a while to realize that was the problem keeping this thing from working.

Then I had to run step 1 about 7 times before realizing that Debug mode has to be turned on. I should have known that but it would be nice if there was an instruction to tell the noobs...and remind the DAs like me.

Then I had to run step 2 three times...not really sure what the problem was there.

Ran Step 3 3 times and it never took. Kept rebooting the phone but could not get Rom Manager to install Clock Work Recovery because system permissions were not working.

Came home...helped neighbor hook up his new 54 in Plasma TV. Ate dinner...kicked the dogs...then gave it one more shot and just ran step three, then rebooted three times and it finally took.

Started this process at 3pm and fnally finished at 9:30. Granted...I took a two and a half hour break.

All I wanted was Wireless for Rooters. I may get rid of blaotware next but it really isn't bothering me so probably not.

Nate

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
manual root would've been faster :)

billjohnson

Reaction score
Hahahaha yeah I could see how that would freak you out. It'd be peaceful to me though, I love storms.

/system/custom/resource/FinalThunder.mp3

:D

Hahah a man after my own heart. I figured that's where it was. I'm about ready to root though just so I can get rid of all the ridiculous VZN apps. To be frank I love Android but if they don't get their stuff together and quit letting carriers eff up their devices, they may lose me.....I love my Thunderbolt though. So sick.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I put the final thunder mp3 on my ringtone and everyone thought it was a toilet flushing.

Nate

scottsdca

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Thunderbolt. I have the OG Droid now and have had it rooted since the beginning. It's great, but time to pass down to my mom and get something new. I've heard so many bad things about the battery though. My question is if I root one, will there be any fixes for the battery life that is supposedly short-lived? Anyone have anything to say about their battery life that actually owns one now, before and after rooting? Thanks in advance.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Thunderbolt. I have the OG Droid now and have had it rooted since the beginning. It's great, but time to pass down to my mom and get something new. I've heard so many bad things about the battery though. My question is if I root one, will there be any fixes for the battery life that is supposedly short-lived? Anyone have anything to say about their battery life that actually owns one now, before and after rooting? Thanks in advance.

I noticed a lot of services I don't even used were loaded (Using Advanced Task Killer). After I rooted I was not planning to mess with the bloatware but after seeing all the services loaded I decided to remove the Bloat. Since then I noticed (again, in Advanced Task Killer) the only services loaded were apps I was using. And coincidentally my battery life improved dramatically.

I should say that I also turn my screen brightness down and I set SetCPU to throttle down to 245mhz when the phone screen is turned off. Both those things were done before removing the bloatware and they did help with battery life. But there was a dramatic improvement since removing the bloat.

It seems like those servives from HTC are loading in the background and using up a significant amount of juice.

I was on my way to Verizon to pick up an extended battery right after removing the bloat. The lines were too long for my level of patience and I ended up leaving the store before I got the battery. But when I got home lastnight I noticed I still had 58% battery after 10 hrs and 45min since last plugged in. I used my phone normally throughout the day. I am glad the lines were long...I no longer feel like I need an extended battery. I may get one just for business trips where I have a hard time finding a charger...but for day to day use I just don't see a need anymore.

So...if battery is a concern...turn down screen brightness...set email sync to every 15 minutes...root...set SetCPU to 245 mhz when screen is off...remove bloatware. You should have equivalent battery life to what you are used to with the OG Droid.

Nate

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think setcpu can actually do anything - you can set it, but I don't believe it actually does it. I tried setting it, like you, to underclock when the screen was off - but it never actually changed the frequency, even though it was set to do it.

billjohnson

Reaction score

I noticed a lot of services I don't even used were loaded (Using Advanced Task Killer). After I rooted I was not planning to mess with the bloatware but after seeing all the services loaded I decided to remove the Bloat. Since then I noticed (again, in Advanced Task Killer) the only services loaded were apps I was using. And coincidentally my battery life improved dramatically.

I should say that I also turn my screen brightness down and I set SetCPU to throttle down to 245mhz when the phone screen is turned off. Both those things were done before removing the bloatware and they did help with battery life. But there was a dramatic improvement since removing the bloat.

It seems like those servives from HTC are loading in the background and using up a significant amount of juice.

I was on my way to Verizon to pick up an extended battery right after removing the bloat. The lines were too long for my level of patience and I ended up leaving the store before I got the battery. But when I got home lastnight I noticed I still had 58% battery after 10 hrs and 45min since last plugged in. I used my phone normally throughout the day. I am glad the lines were long...I no longer feel like I need an extended battery. I may get one just for business trips where I have a hard time finding a charger...but for day to day use I just don't see a need anymore.

So...if battery is a concern...turn down screen brightness...set email sync to every 15 minutes...root...set SetCPU to 245 mhz when screen is off...remove bloatware. You should have equivalent battery life to what you are used to with the OG Droid.

Nate

Yeah I may just root after all. After a complete charge yesterday I had two people on my hotspot for about two hours and it was almost dead. I kill as many processes as I can manually I know once I remove the bloat ware things will change drastically.

nateccnn

Reaction score
If I ran my OG Droid as a wifi tether for 2 hours with two people connected it would have been dead too.

Nate

nateccnn

Reaction score
I don't think setcpu can actually do anything - you can set it, but I don't believe it actually does it. I tried setting it, like you, to underclock when the screen was off - but it never actually changed the frequency, even though it was set to do it.

How would you know, if the screen was turned off?

I just slid the slidder on SetCPU down to 300(something) mhz and the reported speed dropped right down with it. It seems to be working on my Thinderbolt.

Are you rooted? If not, of course it won't work. It has to be granted SU in order to apply any changes.

Nate

billjohnson

Reaction score
Haha in theory but when I was using mine as a modem I could have my desktop and laptop connected for usually the same amount of time with hardly no drain. Just a though. I still may root some time this week though.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Well...the good news for you is the process has been improved upon based on results posted by other users so if you do the root it should work smoother than it did for me.

I would not hesitate to do it again. Just be prepared for everything by making sure ADB works before you start. Also...I saw a post by Corinicakes that someone posted a one step process to install SDK Tools that should make everything eaiser.

Nate

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

How would you know, if the screen was turned off?

I just slid the slidder on SetCPU down to 300(something) mhz and the reported speed dropped right down with it. It seems to be working on my Thinderbolt.

Are you rooted? If not, of course it won't work. It has to be granted SU in order to apply any changes.

Nate

it was the perflock disabler... never did that

buschbarber

Reaction score
Rooting Thunderbolt

Well - I successfully Rooted my Thunderbolt, but while helping a friend root his, we ran into a problem. When we installed Superuser, from the market, all went well, however, when we launched it, it indicated that there was an Update, and when we clicked OK, we received this error:

An error occurred and su was not updated. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on you sdcard. Please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update your su binary.

When we boot to the Bootloader screen, S is Off, but when we choose Recovery, we get a Red Triangle and we have to remove the battery to reboot.

Any idea how to get SU back in working condition?