HTC Locking bootloaders?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Say it isnt so, looks like HTC is following motorola's lead and the Droid Incredible 2 could be locked just like the Thunderbolt.

Pics from Android Police:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Well, I WAS considering the Incredible 2, but man, I've been thinking about it all day. Things are going to have to change to keep me from going to the iPhone 5. And I really WANT to keep an Android phone in the house. I had really been looking forward to the Incredible 2, also.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I cant fault you. The big appeal for me over the iphone was android was open and I can run roms. I dont know if its htc doing or vzw demanding it but I am not liking this at all. But the fruit is starting to look tempting. Ios is boring but atleast I will get updates.

cpjr

Reaction score
I mentioned this a while back.....I believe in one of the Apple rant threads....that it would be a matter of time before android was no longer an open platform, their claim to fame....

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would agree with you except the Incredible S, which is an unlocked device for another carrier, is locked as well.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah I mean the Thunderbolt has already been unlocked, correct??? Being this is also an HTC device it will probably be very similar if not exactly the same to the same situation to get it unlocked again.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I cant fault you. The big appeal for me over the iphone was android was open and I can run roms. I dont know if its htc doing or vzw demanding it but I am not liking this at all. But the fruit is starting to look tempting. Ios is boring but atleast I will get updates.

That is the same way I am looking at it, at least the updates will hit. And I am getting a little idea that some are blaming Apple for Android locking down. This isn't the case. Thisis Android's doing. Has nothing to do with Apple.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So which manufacturer is everyone gonna jump to now?
Everyone cried about Motorola doing it. Now HTC.
Before you know it, every phone will be locked. Anybody planning on going back to CB radios to talk?
IMO this whole locked bootloader conversation is getting over hyped.
I had the OG Droid. Now I have the X. I'm very capable of flashing ROMs and applying all kinds of tweaks to these phones.
We have root, over clocking, theming, performance tweaks out the wazzoo.
Is there really a mountain of options that we can't do? Or is it that some people just aren't satisfied with ANYTHING?
If Moto unlocked the X, people would find something else to complain about.
I dunno. I just think alot of people dont even know why they are complaining anymore. Or even why in the first place. I see all over the internet people shouting to Motorola to unlock the phones or else they will go elsewhere. Android may be free to use. Building a device to utilize it, costs millions.

Sorry for the rant. It just gets old hearing the same stuff over and over again. File a grievance with the union or call your representative from congress.

pandabear

Reaction score
As long as they keep crazy stuff like that efuse chip off HTC devices I think we'll be ok. Freeing the Thunderbolt took no time at all, whereas the X seems to be locked down for the foreseeable future