Locked Boot Loader On Droid 3

JimmySVT

Reaction score
I don't think you will be grandfathered in if you get a new phone and sign a new 2 year agreement 3G or 4G.

Anyone currently on a data plan will be grandfathered in with an upgrade, according to all the info we've had.

Now that the 7th has come and gone, though, I'd like to hear some people actually confirm this.

I would like confirmation on this as well. Documents published so far clearly state that only New Customers and people trading up to a smartphone, will NOT be grandfathered in. If you are going from 3G-3G or 3G-4G or 4G-3G or 4G-4G you WILL be allowed to keep your unlimited data plan.

Ok you lost me, or are you talking about people with regular jitterbug phones upgrading to 3G/4G??

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Ok you lost me, or are you talking about people with regular jitterbug phones upgrading to 3G/4G??

Yes, coming from a regular old phone like the EnV or Voyager, any phone like that. You will be forced into the new data plans. Smartphone to smartphone will keep unlimited data.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09

Yes, coming from a regular old phone like the EnV or Voyager, any phone like that. You will be forced into the new data plans. Smartphone to smartphone will keep unlimited data.

Can't edit my post

Yes, coming from a regular old phone like the EnV or Voyager, any phone like that. Trading up to a smartphone, you will be forced into the new data plans. Smartphone to smartphone will keep unlimited data.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Why is everyone in a uproar. Didn't they Break the Locked DX which was locked and encrypted. So I do not see the D3 or The Bionic locked for long...

No, they haven't 'broken' the bootloader on the Droid 2 or Droid X. You are still using the locked bootloader and the stock kernel.

What they did was find a work-a-round, but it's not the same or close to an unlocked bootloader.

That being said, I just placed my order for the Droid 3. I really like the phone specs (over my OG Droid) and I require a slider-keyboard. 4G would be nice, but it's definitely not something that makes or breaks a phone for me.

I'm sure root will happen quickly and for now that's all I need. We'll see if either the bootloader is unlocked by Motorola in a future update or a similar work-a-round can be found like for the Droid 2/X.

jaxjaggywires

Reaction score
Coming from an OG Droid, this phone is a very nice upgrade with all the accoutrements I like in my current phone. I will give Moto/other companies time to work out the battery life issue on 4G before I make my move over on my next upgrade.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Coming from an OG Droid, this phone is a very nice upgrade with all the accoutrements I like in my current phone. I will give Moto/other companies time to work out the battery life issue on 4G before I make my move over on my next upgrade.

The Charge and SGSII already have that worked out.

sb1831

Reaction score

The Charge and SGSII already have that worked out.

O/T but when did i miss an SGSII with LTE being released? I'm out of the loop apparently.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
SGS2 is being delayed due to carriers being dicks and apple being dicks. I like apple computers but they can really be douches sometimes. I wont buy a Samsung though after owning this problematic fascinate.

Sent from my fascinate

djspy

Reaction score
I'm a little confused.. I thought having a locked bootloader meant no root access? From reading some comments here I gather you can have root but not fiddle around with the phone completely ? I have an OG droid with root but I only rooted it to install a faster kernel and wireless tethering. I don't install custom roms and all that other expert stuff. I was thinking of upgrading to the Droid 3 and rooting just to have wireless thether (I think it's fast enough already). Does the locked bootloader prevent wireless tether even though the device has been rooted?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused.. I thought having a locked bootloader meant no root access? From reading some comments here I gather you can have root but not fiddle around with the phone completely ? I have an OG droid with root but I only rooted it to install a faster kernel and wireless tethering. I don't install custom roms and all that other expert stuff. I was thinking of upgrading to the Droid 3 and rooting just to have wireless thether (I think it's fast enough already). Does the locked bootloader prevent wireless tether even though the device has been rooted?

No, you cannot install custom kernels. You can install custom ROMs if they figure out a workaround like the Bootstrap for the X/2 phones. It should not prevent root and wireless tether though.

sent from my ApeX

djspy

Reaction score
Great! The only thing I'm interested in adding is the wireless tether. This phone just got on list again.

spillner

Reaction score
How important in the lack of 4G to most people though? We still don't have it in my area.. :(

Verizon is on course to provide 4G to all the areas currently on the 3G network by the end of 2012. So Happy now, sad later with the Droid 3.

sent from my ApeX

This is unfortunately not true for my area since LTE interferes with Canadian TV broadcasting in Ontario, CA. Living right next to the border means it will be a long time before I see 4G.