HTC Edge: First Quad-Core Phone Revealed

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm about to upgrade to a dual-core, and to think quad-core is pretty much around the corner:icon_eek:

bluefire7002

Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade to a dual-core, and to think quad-core is pretty much around the corner:icon_eek:
Im with ya buddy :(
but if its HTC selling this phone, I dont want it... I love my thunderbolt but battery does not last over 4.5 hrs

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Im with ya buddy :(
but if its HTC selling this phone, I dont want it... I love my thunderbolt but battery does not last over 4.5 hrs

Eh...not too jealous.

I'm just surprised that quad-core is already being talked about being released in early 2012. I don't think batteries are caught up enough to the power of these phones though...

alboboy10

Reaction score
And out if all the phone companies, HTC and their bad battery life just has to come out with the first quad core phone... ... ... Think Thunderbolt but tons worse... ;)
I hope it comes with an extension cord so I can walk around the house with it... Oh man, just think, you run to the car to get it plugged in before it dies, then you get to school jump out if the car, and sprint to class, so you can plug in again!
I think I'd take a "less power" (not really) dual core with good battery over a "more powerful" (not really) quad core. Customers are always brought in with the processors not the battery... Boycott quads! xD

I'm at 42% after a whole day in an unrooted thunderbolt.

Dual and quad core are more efficient.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
With the Transformer 2 having a quad-core, I doubt I'll be needing that much power in my pocket. Kinda scary having that much power in my pocket too..

People seem to forget that CPU manufactures are designing these cores (dual/quad) to have extremely good battery life, while single cores weren't. Same things were said about dual cores when they first started coming out, and my X2 lasts me a whole day, and when I plug it in to charge, it's at about 60%...

Last edited:

bluefire7002

Reaction score

:blink: I seriously dont get how you average that? I even bought 1700 batteries and still get the same results (4-5 hrs)
I live in socal so im in 4G all day, and Im rooted on BAMF rom. I have just given up on trying to fix w/e is wrong with my battery life problem

Abadus

Reaction score
Quad core on phones huh? My laptop is a quad core and there have only been a few times where I've actually needed all of that power (damn you CATIA).

I have a quad core dual thread comp at work. Makes me sad to see catia max it out at 14%. Thankfully it uses (and NEEDS) all 24 gig of ram :D

thebrob

Reaction score
The quad-cores should have better battery life because when ur no doing cpu intesive things on the phone two of the cores shut down because they aren't needed and when u need the processing power all four kick in ...

Sent from my thunderbolt using DroidForums

sb1831

Reaction score
Doesn't make a bit of sense to me but not much does these days...

alboboy10

Reaction score
:blink: I seriously dont get how you average that? I even bought 1700 batteries and still get the same results (4-5 hrs)
I live in socal so im in 4G all day, and Im rooted on BAMF rom. I have just given up on trying to fix w/e is wrong with my battery life problem

Keep 3g on and I have those batteries also

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The quad-cores should have better battery life because when ur no doing cpu intesive things on the phone two of the cores shut down because they aren't needed and when u need the processing power all four kick in ...

Sent from my thunderbolt using DroidForums

that is not correct according to nvidia

wikipedia said:
Tegra 3 (Kal-El) series

• Processor: quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore, up to 1.5 GHz
  • 12-Core Nvidia GPU with support for 3D stereo
  • Ultra low power GPU mode
  • 40 nm process by TSMC
  • Video output up to 2560×1600
  • NEON vector instruction set
  • 1080p MPEG-4 AVC/h.264 High Profile video decode
  • The Kal-El chip (CPU and GPU) is to be about 5 times faster than Tegra 2[SUP][18][/SUP]
  • Estimated release date is now to be Q4 2011 for tablets and Q1 2012 for smartphones, after being set back from Nvidia's prior estimated release dates of Q2 2011,[SUP][19][/SUP] then August 2011,[SUP][20][/SUP] then October 2011[SUP][21][/SUP]
The Tegra 3 is functionally a quad-core processor, but includes a fifth "companion" core. All cores are Cortex-A9s, but the companion core is manufactured with a special low power silicon process. This means it uses less power at low clock rates, but more at higher rates; hence it is limited to 500 MHz. There is also special logic to allow running state to be quickly transferred between the companion core and one of the normal cores. The goal is for a mobile phone or tablet to be able to power down all the normal cores and run on only the companion core, using comparatively little power, during standby mode or when otherwise using little CPU. According to Nvidia, this includes playing music or even video content.[SUP][22][/SUP]

the only real problem seem to be that the CPU is using a 40nm SoC, my core i7 sandy-bridge is 32nm, and the newer stuff AMD is releasing is 20nm... the big difference is where my TDP is around 95 watts, these are WAY lower, I can't seem to find an exact number they are saying the same as the tegra 2... (2.3 watts? it's an arm9) which means it's 5 times more efficient (if you want to know what TDP is visit wikipedia)

what this means is that they will save ALOT of power... and the newer ones coming out after the Wayne series (gotta love comic book nerds :p) are supposed to be even more powerful and efficient.

alucard9114

Reaction score
eh its to big....or the battery is to small....the colors ugly.....the build is too beefy....to much metal...it weights to much....it have gorilla glass we want lotus....the battery is to big we could never use that much MAH.....the it doesnt have an SD card...it has an SD card but only take 32gb or larger and who can afford that, the pixel density isnt enough, the screen uses to much power, it has an ugly pentile screen, it doesnt use a amoled screen, the screen is to nice, the phone has to much power, 1.5ghz is to high, 1.5ghz isnt enough, quad core is to much, quad core isnt enough, it didnt have 3d camera, the camera isnt good enough, thats an old camera, the camera uses to much battery, it only has 1 led, the speaker is horrible. the speaker is to loud, the speaker isnt loud enough, the phone doesnt have a subwoofer, the phone has a subwoofer and it shakes when i play music

Right???!!!!!!!! Did i forget anything??

Its perfect!:D

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice, a Quad Core phone that can double as an iron. When I'm in need, I'll turn on Google Maps, and that Aluminum back should heat up in no time. :D

loki993

Reaction score
Also, how big would this be with a 4.7" screen AND hard buttons? A lot of people feel that the Nexus can only get away with the 4.65" because it includes the software buttons.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, this thing will be HUGE. There are those that are saying that event the GN is too big and it doesn't have buttons. It took me a while to warm up to 4.3, please don't start making them even bigger not.

I'm not impressed. Give me 1.5-2 Gb RAM with a dual core. Or at least increase clock speed with more core's. This is just getting silly.

Yeah I agree, they need more RAM, I'm betting that's bottlenecking more then the clock speed. As for not raising the speeds, maybe they're already at the limit. Once you hit the max practical clock speed you just start adding cores, just like they're doing with PCs.