[Rumor] HTC Concept Phone: Quad-Core 2.5GHz Monster ICS Phone - HTC Zeta

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htczeta.jpg

There is some "rumint" floating about that HTC isn't just working on the quad-core phone, the HTC Edge, but in fact, they are working on another quad-core device that is even more of a beast. This phone is potentially called the Zeta, and it supposedly has some "ridonkulous" specs for a phone (or a tablet for that matter), including Ice Cream Sandwich, and a whopping 2.5GHz quad-core CPU! According to the source of this article, this phone is probably just a concept phone for now, but many prototypes become reality. Here's the breakdown of its other features below:
  • 2.5GHz quad-core APQ8064 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage
  • 1,830mAh battery
  • 4.5-inch 720P HD display
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich with Sense UI
  • Beats Audio
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • 8-megapixel rear camera with dual LED flash and 1080P video capture
  • 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera
  • Measurements: 109.8 x 60.9 x 9.8mm (4.32 x 2.4 x 0.39 inches)
  • Weight: 146g (5.15 ounces)
If this juggernaut is a phone and not a tablet, it will make just about everything else (that we currently know about) seem pitiful in comparison if they actually make it. How would they keep this thing from melting in your pocket?

Source: Android.net via Engadget

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm not seeing this in the near future. 2.5 GHz CPU, a 720p screen, and an HTC product? Charge it up, walk out the door, check the time.....battery dead.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wouldn't be surprised if HTC was working on this.

If it does have an APQ8064 SnapDragon then I wouldn't expect it out till a full year. I don't believe they are even supposed to hit till Q3/Q4 2012.

I wonder if we'll still be having 1GB of RAM into 2012. Kind of thought we'd be at 2.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The Hulk must be bribing the phone manufacturers...Maybe they figure if they make a phone so large you have to hold it with both hands it will cut down on their replacement costs! :)

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
wellllllll thats one way to fix crappy battery life add a f load of cores

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Not just HTC, all manufacturers have got to figure out new technology for they batteries. The processors are overpowering the batteries and the battery life is really starting to get ridiculous. They are about to hit a stumbling block with power and need to start working on the other angles.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The Hulk must be bribing the phone manufacturers...Maybe they figure if they make a phone so large you have to hold it with both hands it will cut down on their replacement costs! :)

We'll just have baby holsters. Strap the on our chests and what not.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

We'll just have baby holsters. Strap the on our chests and what not.

Umm, it's over all size is smaller than the Thunderbolt which is 122 x 66 x 13mm, the Droid X which is 127.5 x 65.5 x 9.9mm and the Bionic 127.5 x 66.9 x 11mm.

My question is, since it's coming with ICS why the bottom keys why not make the screen a little bigger?

Last edited:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Pardon my drool ;) - I've never been interested in HTC phones primarily due to their mediocre designs but this concept phone has my attention. Much like concept cars which look insanely awesome but are never put into mass production this phone will likely not be put into the hands of consumers. It looks great and the specs sound amazing but unfortunately most of us live in the real world.

On a Side Note:
I wish Motorola would stop letting the carriers dictate whether the bootloader is locked or not.

creaky

Reaction score
Those edges look sharp. Don't put it in your skinny jeans front pocket....

aj8600

Reaction score
this looks like a good concept, if they can actually make a battery that can keep up with it. Im still looking forward to the Nexus.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Yeah...I'm not seeing this in the near future. 2.5 GHz CPU, a 720p screen, and an HTC product? Charge it up, walk out the door, check the time.....battery dead.
Actually, the Nvidia Tegra 3 is supposed to be extremely battery efficient. The CPU actually has 5 cores, one dedicated one that is always being used, and the other 4 are just idle and not drawing power. When the phone needs the extra boost, those cores kick on, but only stay on for a small amount of time. They are really just to help apps launch faster, but that 1 dedicated core does all the work....or that's what Nvidia's demonstration video showed. This is all assuming it will use a Tegra 3, or hopefully, other manufactures follow in Nvidia's footsteps.

So I guess, in theory, Tegra 3 (quad-core phones) should have the same battery life as a single core phone.

Anyways, this phone looks pretty awesome. Looks a little wide though, not sure how well/comfortable that width would fit in your hand.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Actually, the Nvidia Tegra 3 is supposed to be extremely battery efficient. The CPU actually has 5 cores, one dedicated one that is always being used, and the other 4 are just idle and not drawing power. When the phone needs the extra boost, those cores kick on, but only stay on for a small amount of time. They are really just to help apps launch faster, but that 1 dedicated core does all the work....or that's what Nvidia's demonstration video showed. This is all assuming it will use a Tegra 3, or hopefully, other manufactures follow in Nvidia's footsteps.

So I guess, in theory, Tegra 3 (quad-core phones) should have the same battery life as a single core phone.

Anyways, this phone looks pretty awesome. Looks a little wide though, not sure how well/comfortable that width would fit in your hand.

I saw the same video as you, good description, now about the width. It's not even as wide as the Thunderbolt, Droid X, or the Bionic in fact the overall size is smaller than all three. I put up specs for all three of them on the first page.

King_Bean

Reaction score
I'm skeptical. These "concept phones" are either never released or they take a reaaaaaallly long time to be realeased. And usually, the final specs are not nearly as impressive as what was originally publicized.