HOWTO: Fixing Swype on Liberty 2.x!

aadster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Many of you may be getting the error: "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..", or something like that.

The easy fix is to get the D2 package, provided by stetsonaw:

"make a backup, no need to mount /system, no wipe, blah blah, you know what to do!
Download StockSwypeD2.zip "

Thank you!

Another way to fix this involves getting the new swype beta from the Swype website, or you can restore from an older installer if you have one.

First step is to remove the old swype. Open Liberty Toolbox, head on over to App Management --> Remove Apps. Click the Menu key and then Show All Apps. Find Swype there, select it, menu key and remove selected.

Now, sign up here: https://beta.swype.com/android/create/

Make sure you use a real email. They will send you an activation link.

After your account is activated, navigate here on your android: https://beta.swype.com/android/get/

After that, install the .apk on your phone, and go through the download following instructions. All should work just fine.

I now have the latest version of swype working on my Droid 2. Only small downside is that it doesn't match the old theme :p

Last edited:

Standalone010

Reaction score
Bumping because I had this issue a few nights ago. Fairly easy fix, but might not be thought of right away.

jocko1

Reaction score
Does anybody know why it doesn't work in the first place?

OP
A

aadster

Reaction score

Not sure on the specifics but it's more than likely because something was not configured properly. The generated license on the phone isn't compatible.

jocko1

Reaction score
So its safe to assume it will be fixed by Team Liberty eventually and the fix will be thrown into the Liberty Toolbox?

OP
A

aadster

Reaction score
So its safe to assume it will be fixed by Team Liberty eventually and the fix will be thrown into the Liberty Toolbox?

Oh, I'm sure they will fix it eventually. As for how they will include it, toolbox or a patch I don't know. This works just fine for now though, and is probably the best thing you can do in the meantime if you are an avid swype user.

xandor

Reaction score
I checked out swype beta but haven't installed it yet. Might do so tonight to have the latest version.

Thanks!

Sent from my Liberated Droid2
using Tapatalk

austmeliamne

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix-it guide. I ran into this issue yesterday and was considering moving back to Liberty 1.5, but now, all is good. :)

xandor

Reaction score

Not sure on the specifics but it's more than likely because something was not configured properly. The generated license on the phone isn't compatible.

I believe it's because the swype version is for the DX. Could be wrong though.

Wouldn't be surprised, my droid thought it was a droid x when I first flashed it. I just installed the new swype beta and liking it so far.

Sent from my Liberated Droid2
using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I just wanted to let it be known that some of us are just having a different problem. After installing Liberty 2.0.1 on my D2, if I use Swype, it appears and it works if I tap the letters, but dragging across (although it shows the trace trail) just makes the keyboard flash for a split second and doesn't create a word. I've not been getting any error messages. I've reflashed, re-sbf'd, etc. and that's always been the case.

Phaze08

Reaction score
I tried pulling the swype apk from 1.5 but it won't install. I can't have a blue keyboard with my linear. -_-

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
It won't install, but it will if you flash it. Make sure to uninstall the beta first!

and Standalone010 had it right, the DX version is in the D2 ROM zip.

make a backup, no need to mount /system, no wipe, blah blah, you know what to do!
Download StockSwypeD2.zip

aadster, feel free to add this to the OP retaining the proper link.

Phaze08

Reaction score
Is this the same as the one in the OP?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
No, it's the one that was in Liberty 1.5 for the D2, tested and works. How are/were you trying to install it? just by tapping the APK or flashing it?