[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did u check your Pm's?

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

theunknownn

Reaction score
Just saying for people who dont know, you can use the Droid 3's physical keyboard to navigate in Safestraps recovery. The buttons are right and left on the D-Pad and the search button (on the keyboard) as the confirm button

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was that meant for me? (If so, nothing showing in my Inbox.)

Sorry was having trouble with tapatalk.

I may be able to provide a non-safe backup of stock+root.

cvhovey

Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and use "Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone_psouza4", re-root, and now doing a clean stock non-safe backup. Dunno what else that back-door install of MonsterROM might have done, so this way I'm at a totally clean slate ... and now a successfully completed and verified non-safe backup. Starting to get the hang of Safestrap. And feel better with a stock safety net, too!

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and use "Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone_psouza4", re-root, and now doing a clean stock non-safe backup. Dunno what else that back-door install of MonsterROM might have done, so this way I'm at a totally clean slate ... and now a successfully completed and verified non-safe backup. Starting to get the hang of Safestrap. And feel better with a stock safety net, too!

Great! I hope the guide is helping. Let me know if there's something I can improve.

eap369

Reaction score
hi i have an issue going on with safestrap. ive been using it easy for a few days now but i tried switching back to safety mode enabled. the error message comes out saying error while swithching to safe mode while its backing up, i then try restarting my phone and it stays in the bootloop, i also tried uninstaling safestrap and it still does not completely come off. any ideas on how to make it work??

anor013

Reaction score
Pretty new to all this, but I think I followed your guides correctly. The first time I go to reboot after flashing a rom, it sends me into a bootloop; after waiting the ten seconds of the safestrap prompt I get a black screen and then after a few seconds it restarts and does it again. I've tried a couple roms (hashcode's cm7 and liberty), cleared the data and reflashed a few times, but without success. Any ideas?

Also, it wouldn't matter than I'm still way back on 5.5.959 right?

-AN

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It might be because of the radio. All the new roms are off .890 so you would need to update to that first on the stock side...(non-safe). Which you'd have to uninstall safestrap, unroot, apply the signed VZW OTA to .890. Then re root, install safestrap and go.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
OK, so am I getting this right?

1. You backup your stock ROM, or a stable custom ROM that you want to go back to if something went wrong.

2. You go into Safe Mode to flash ROMS, and if something bad happens, you can go into Non-Safe mode and restore?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If my Backup is a gingerbread ROM, can I restore it from an ICS ROM?

Yes. And you can restore a safe backup as well as a non safe. You just have to be in the correct mode to do so.

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

acoers

Reaction score
Well i got safestrap installed now and am on steel droid. But i noticed there is a steel droid safe strap version. Should i have that version now?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as its working, there shouldn't be an issue.

Safestrap works with almost every rom now without the developer making a specific safestrap version.