[HOW TO] Restore your Motorola Droid 4 (XT894) to stock [Windows Only]

core2kid

Reaction score
Thanks core2kid! How do you do that, restoring to stock from the OS?

Will try that app too!

I'd say try the app first unless you don't care at all about what's on the phone. I've also had good luck with custom ROMs. I don't specifically remember which ones though, I haven't used that phone for quite some time.

To Factory Reset:
Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset

Also if you have an SD card inside, wipe it too and put back only what you need. I found out once that a corrupted picture was draining the battery. There's also an app called Better Battery Stats which tells you exactly what's using your battery. Another good app is CPU Spy. It'll tell you the states your CPU is in. If you're not constantly on your phone, the app should show that your phone spends most if it's time in Deep Sleep.

lozbo

Reaction score
No, I don't care whats on the phone and I haven't got an sd card either.

I've been doing a few of these flashings, following the directions from post 1, and using the file I thought matched my phone last one from this list: Droid-Developers SBF.

Then I tried the one before, and so far it *seems* that the battery is lasting a tiny bit more.

Will try to factory reset from the software as you point out, but is it different from the steps mentioned on post 1 on this thread? There, before flashing, you have to do a hard reset too..

Thanks for the advise on the battery tracking apps, will try them too, and try to figure it out.

I was thinking in going back to android 4.0 and see what happens, but I think I read somewhere I shouldn't try to flash roms of OS lower than what I currently have, don't remember why... do you know about this?

lozbo

Reaction score
btw I liked that "better battery stats" app! It tells me what I think it's the estimate time that the battery will last.. thanks for mentioning it!

If what it says is true, it's acceptable, its currently on 90% and it says "battery empty in 1d 0h". I think it's back to "normal". I'm not sure how much it used to last because I didn't test extensibly but I think it was lasting less than 1 hour for every 10%, around 40 min. So it's less than a day!

Anyway that brings me to another issue: the fact that the battery changes in intervals of 10, instead of 1%. Is that normal? Turning 100 to 90 to 80, instead of 99, 98, 97...

core2kid

Reaction score
btw I liked that "better battery stats" app! It tells me what I think it's the estimate time that the battery will last.. thanks for mentioning it!

If what it says is true, it's acceptable, its currently on 90% and it says "battery empty in 1d 0h". I think it's back to "normal". I'm not sure how much it used to last because I didn't test extensibly but I think it was lasting less than 1 hour for every 10%, around 40 min. So it's less than a day!

Anyway that brings me to another issue: the fact that the battery changes in intervals of 10, instead of 1%. Is that normal? Turning 100 to 90 to 80, instead of 99, 98, 97...

Definitely Try CPU Sleeper (Dual core version). It will increase your battery a significant amount. 10% every hour is a little high especially if the phone is idle/screen off status for most of the hour. I do about 1% every hour and half with the screen locked on the Razr M. The stock D4 ROM shows battery intervals in 10%s. Most old Motorola phones do that. They finally switched to 1% intervals on the Razr M.

You can't flash to a lower ROM (4.0 from 4.1) because during OTA updates, the phone's kernel is also updated. You cannot downgrade the kernel on these phones and trying to flash a lower ROM on a newer kernel may cause a bricked phone.

Balthasar85

Reaction score
The wipe does not work:
1 Power off your phone = ok
2 Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu = ok
3 Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it = ok
4 When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together = freezes at this screen
Power off..
5 Connect your phone to your PC via USB = ok
6 Use the volume down button to navigate to "AP Fastboot" then use the volume up button to select it = ok
7 Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the fastboot image .zip file = ok
8 Select "Decompress And Start Flashing" and wait for the process to finish (it will take up to 20-30 minutes) = ok
9 Once the process is complete, your device should function normally = ok

The rom is installed correctly but there are still the old files.
There is a way to bring it back to its factory settings?

thanks for the help.

-EDIT-
Settings -> Storage -> "erase internal memory\sd card"
va bene anche così?

CIAWA

tortoracer

Reaction score
im going to do more searching, so ignore if its just above; but the download in the OP is dead, and all the mirrors i could find are also.

i desperately need them, my phone is a paperweight with full access to safestrap, so the only dilema is actually finding the stock ROM.

thank you, Chris

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
im going to do more searching, so ignore if its just above; but the download in the OP is dead, and all the mirrors i could find are also.

i desperately need them, my phone is a paperweight with full access to safestrap, so the only dilema is actually finding the stock ROM.

thank you, Chris
could just install my stock nandroid
Jellybean stock safestrap 3.11 nandroid (for stock slot)
system version 98.72.18.XT894.Verizon.en.US
download-http://d-h.st/g3chttp://d-h.st/g3c 478.95 MB

edit: place unziped folder in internal sdcard/TRWP/BACKUPS then restore in safestrap 3.11

tortoracer

Reaction score
i came accross a new problem (kinda.)

the situation: my rooted droid 4's charge port stopped working, and is just floating inside the port. i used asurion to get a new phone, but they need the old one back.

i uninstalled everything root related (including safestrap, but did not uninstall the recovery, just uninstalled the apk), and unrooted using superuser.

the battery completely died out, and i tried to turn it on and was greeted with the safestrap screen, which is BAD.

i basically tried to brick the thing which is not easy, i uninstalled OS's, i wiped everything, i messed with basically everything i could think of, finally mid-restore of something (i forget), it died completely.

fearing they would put a new battery into it, i manually charged the battery, and restored from a previous backup. the thing is now booted up, still rooted, still with rooted apps.

now how do i remove all evidence of root...not trying to cause issues at asurion, not trying to screw anybody over...just want to undo what i did. i really hope that doesnt violate any rules here, because i really just need a helping hand. i rooted for deeper access to my phone, nothing truly bad, so i dont see an issue.

keep in mind the usb port is useless. i can not hook it up to a computer. i have wifi, so i can download things on the device, but that is the extent of it. i have safestrap currently as my recovery, TiBu, SU, and rootchecker confirming my root access.

what can i do?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you're worried abut asurion finding out it was rooted they don't care, last i heard
motorola only cares if its a warranty claim

tortoracer

Reaction score
that eases my mind alot!
is there any way to 'quick and dirty' undo the root? will the SU "unroot" do it?