[HOW TO] Restore your Motorola Droid 4 (XT894) to stock [Windows Only]

talon4x4

Reaction score
I couldn't get RSD to recognize my phone. So I did some searching and came up with a new version of the drivers. I downloaded this --> MotorolaDeviceManager_2.2.28 right from Motorola (USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA). After installing my phone was finally recognized.

Just thought I would add this in case others were having trouble getting their phones recognized.

tystager93

Reaction score
Help

Stupid me, yesterday I tried flashing the unofficial CM10 ROM from gingerbread, and bricked my phone hardcore. None of these are helping me restore my phone. I was flashing from gingerbread to JB. Used safe strap, and everything. But I think that I forgot to do a nandroid backup. So basically the Gingerbread fastboots will not work and the one for the ICS fastboot will not work either. I have all the latest drivers and RSD 5.3.1 whenever i try to unzip and flash one for the files I get a SDL error message saying, XML format is wrong or image files associated with it are missing. And my phone says in the fast boot menu that it is locked, code 0 :cus:

I was thinking that I could try and flash an ICS rom and then fastboot the ICS package to restore it, will this work?
Any ideas? (maybe I should make a new thread)

Rocky

Reaction score
12. Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the fastboot image .zip file
This 12th step is driving me nutz! I'm stuck at this step, because I can't find that famous "fastboot image .zip file"!

I was, however, able to decompress something similar, this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\VRZ_XT894_6.7.2-180_DR4-16_M2-37_1FF.xml (1).zip

But that didn't do the trick. After rebooting I notice I still haven't been able to fully restore. (I'm trying to get rid of the SU app, but it just won't go!)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I couldn't get RSD to recognize my phone. So I did some searching and came up with a new version of the drivers. I downloaded this --> MotorolaDeviceManager_2.2.28 right from Motorola (USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA). After installing my phone was finally recognized.

Just thought I would add this in case others were having trouble getting their phones recognized.
I ignore how you can tell whether your phone is recognized by RSD, but I'll download that, see if it helps me.

Thanks!

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
It should show your phone is connected on RSD. Also, do not extract the sbf file, rsd will do the extracting for you.

Just to recap your pm messages, you have the most up to date rsd and moto drivers, right?

The problem you're now having is that rsd doesn't see your phone, right?

Just to be sure, look at the first post on page 10. This guy had your same problem.

sean2010

Reaction score
can u restore droid 4 back to ics
have safestrap installed and a ics rom installed on rom1
i wiped the stock side (cache,factory reset, dalvik cache,and internal storage)
rom 1 is working thou

do i need to use rsd to flash it with gingerbread as listed on page one here
there is a option in safestrap to mount would that work

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
1 yes install ics. gb no longer works with this phone
2 try installing this on stock unsafe and reinstall safesrap apk
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/218822-deodexed-unedited-6-16-217-rom.html
3 if you dont uninstall safe strap on the unsafe system by way of its apk file b4 sbfing you will brick your phone

files to rsd with the ics sbf file
rsd
http://omniimpact.com/android/roms/myfishbear/tools/RSDLite5.6.rar
sbf ics
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/VRZ_XT894_6.7.2-180_DR4-16_M2-37_1FF.xml.zip

sean2010

Reaction score
ok so im downloading the rom
when i open safestrap application i selected the install choice this is what i did

do u want me to uninstall the safestrap app or uninstall choice in the app

how do i remove uninstall safe strap on the unsafe system, i can only access the safestrape on the rom 1 side if i remove it from the rom 1 side then i wont be able to access rom1 will i?

i created a rom slot 2 with safestrap and try'd to install the signed_deomotoblur-6.16.217-XT894.zip file but it dident work
E:signature verification failed
error flashing zip '/sdcard-ext/signed_demotoblur-6.1

havent tryed to on stock rom yet

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
ok so im downloading the rom
when i open safestrap application i selected the install choice this is what i did

do u want me to uninstall the safestrap app or uninstall choice in the app

how do i remove uninstall safe strap on the unsafe system, i can only access the safestrape on the rom 1 side if i remove it from the rom 1 side then i wont be able to access rom1 will i?

i created a rom slot 2 with safestrap and try'd to install the signed_deomotoblur-6.16.217-XT894.zip file but it dident work
E:signature verification failed
error flashing zip '/sdcard-ext/signed_demotoblur-6.1

havent tryed to on stock rom yet
sounds like a bad download. dl it again with another comp and try again

dbdrummer88

Reaction score
Hope this hasnt been brought up yet.

Help would be very appreciated!!

As of yesterday (3-11-2013) an article was released that sounded like they were starting the soak test for JB on the droid 4. My current D4 is rooted and I am using a custom rom (eclipse I believe) and the factory rom. I want to put my phone back to full factory settings.

-I HAVE deleted a good amount of apps from the factory rom and I want to be able to use that (obviously) before the JB comes out so that everything can install correctly. After doing a factory reset from the phone I can see that the apps I deleted are not restored or back on there. Is there a utility link that I missed while searching the thread that will allow me to restore all of the apps and be able to reset my phone??

Thanks in advance :)

GigaJake

Reaction score
Doing a factory reset will only delete data, not restore system apps. If you want to fully restore your stock system, you're going to want to sbf back to the official ICS release.

This thread is still relevant, use RSD Lite and have the most up to date USB drivers. Use the ICS sbf file found at
Goo.im/devs/Hashcode/maserati and use that. This should make you compatible with the JB ota.

Sent from my DROID 4 using Tapatalk 2

dbdrummer88

Reaction score
Doing a factory reset will only delete data, not restore system apps. If you want to fully restore your stock system, you're going to want to sbf back to the official ICS release.

This thread is still relevant, use RSD Lite and have the most up to date USB drivers. Use the ICS sbf file found at
Goo.im/devs/Hashcode/maserati and use that. This should make you compatible with the JB ota.

Thank you GigaJake. Was the "Goo.im/devs/Hashcode/maserati" a link? haha

GigaJake

Reaction score
Yeah, just paste that into your browser. It's Hashcode's directory for D4 stuff. The ICS sbf file is included