How to get a Rooted Revolution from trying the OTA update ???

jetman

Reaction score
My son rooted (1 click) his Revolution immediately after buying it a couple months ago (before updates) and it's been working great. He keeps getting the OTA update notification failure, and obviously since it's rooted it won't successfully update. He has the free version if Ti BU loaded too. How do you get it to quit trying to update???? He says it gives him the notifications multiple times a day of the unsuccessful update attempt. How do you make it STOP??

jaden4220

Reaction score
How did he root it properly? I've been trying 1click for the past few days and it won't root! Frustrating.....

romey20022000

Reaction score
I have been trying to root it myself an it doesn't seem to work. how is this done. right

Cybie257

Reaction score
If you didn't do the update, ota, then with 1click, you need to use the rageagainstthecage method. That file may or may not be included with 1click, but was found on btjunkie.org torrent. I used that method originally and then after downgrading the update and worked both times, although took a few tries after downgrade.

How this helped,
Cybie

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

romey20022000

Reaction score
still having issues on the rooting of the lg revolution. can anyone help?

still having issues rooting the phone, is there anyway your son can give me an idea of how he did it. or what i need to do to root the lg revolution without bricking it. would be helpful an some helpful tips for after the root.

4W3S0M3

Reaction score
...so far, there is NO 100% CONFIRMED ROOT method AFTER the UPDATE, just here n there "stories"....but, dont cry just yet, there is a method in the works, so if u can find it within urself to wait for its release, then youll have a step by step guide to root ur "awesome phone" unless u get a sick pleasure of flirting with the idea of a $200+ lg brick, then by all means, use every "root tool" u can find...oh n make sure u click n unclick every option u see, ESPECIALLY if u don't know what it is/does....

...but then again, what do I know? I mean, I don't even have the rev (my roomies does though lol) n he loves his rev as is unrooted...he just want to try n achieve a higher quadrant score then my Dinc (1562) which I'm not bragging about at all...that ill save the rom I'm using that isn't available for the rev.....miui (aka "the *POOP*" hahahaha......)

@jaden & romey - he used S1C BEFORE the update (n more than likely had "rageagainstthecage" enabled) but if u would actually research a bit n Google some stuff, or.....read the first part of this exact that u r reading right now....u might have picked up the fact that THE UPDATE BLOCKED/DISABLED ROOT ACCESS.....

PS. If I had a typo or even was wrong about something...save ur thumbs....y troll a troll? Haha.....ha!

Cybie257

Reaction score
Later today I will post a method, step by step, how to root your updated revo. This method, in short, requires you to downgrade the update, then root, install cwm, either the "techie" way using adb, or using the easy way (untested by me) via revo tool kit, then installing a custom ROM (revolt 1.3). This will get you rooted and "upgraded" as the custom ROM is built on the ota update, but with out all the bloatware. My revo runs smooth, fast, and Netflix is jitter free. If this is of interest, reply back and I will provide the steps necessary, even providing a download with all the tools necessary in one package. The only thing I may not include in the package is the adb itself, which is readily available.

i'm not at home and writing such instructions via my phone and not having exact file names in front of me will make it near impossible to be 100% accurate...

As it is now, all such instructions and files are available, but they are not in one place and can be difficult to find. In order to not "steal" others ideas and instructions, I may just provide links to each step and adding in where necessary to clear things up for those not so tech savvy...

-Cybie

jaden4220

Reaction score
Yes I am definitely intrigued by your post about the root process if you are truly willing to post it.

4W3S0M3

Reaction score
....as am I

"sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"

Cybie257

Reaction score
had to run out again while writing up step by step procedure. It should be posted before midnight, pst...

-Cybie

Cybie257

Reaction score
(not so) long awaited procedure to root after OTA Update

How to root your OTA Updated Revo:

This method requires you to downgrade your phone back to the V4 stock version. As of now, there seems to be no root process for the V6 update. This method has worked for me and I am also on a custom ROM that has been said to have some, if not most of the V6 updates included without the bloatware.

Step One:

- Be sure to get the following files:

---- LG VZW_United_WHQL_v1.2.0.exe
---- LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe
---- LGNPST_Store_Lab-1.zip
---- VS910.dll (required to use LGNPST_Store_Lab-1.zip)
---- VS910ZV4_04.S4_04.P58008.R5.user.tot
---- RevoToolkit-1.0.apk (This is untested by me but supposed to provide an easier method to install CWM mod vs the ADB method)
---- SuperOneClickv2.1.1-ShortFuse (Includes the needed ADB program)
---- rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin (The exploit needed to root revo, not necessarily found with SuperOneCLick)
---- RevoltRom1.3.zip (This is optional, but recommended to speed up your revo and also to comply with the original topic of this thread. It 'seems' to stop the OTA from 'trying' the update since it includes updated features. NOTE that I said 'seems'... Other things I did may be the actual result I haven't seen the OTA try to install...

Ok, so to start, you will want to be sure that you have the drivers on your computer (I'm using windows 7 x64), so that is what this method has proven to work on by me.

Be sure to install:

- LG VZW_United_WHQL_v1.2.0.exe
- LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe

Both may not be required, but I have both installed and things worked.

Then you will need to install:

- LGNPST_Store_Lab-1.zip
- VS910.dll (This is just copied into the folder LGNPST/Models. My install put the LGNPST program in C:\LG Electronics, not c:\Program Files (x68)... )

- You will run the LGNPST program, select the VS910.dll via Menu: File --> Select DLL.
- Then, in the bottom right of the LGNPST program, select BIN File (folder icon) to load the 'bin'.
--- This will require you to enter *.* in order to find the .tot file. Don't worry, this .tot file is what you need in the LGNPST Program.
- Once loaded and your phone is connected and recognized (Phone must be in 'Internet USB Mode'), hit the Start Button. This will begin the process of restoring your phone back to V4.

After that has completed, which takes a while, you will then need the SuperClick program to root.

- Copy, or verify, the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file is located in the Exploits folder where you extraced SuperOneClick.
- Run SuperOneClick, Select the exploit pull down (which defaults to 'auto') and select the rageagainstthecage option.
- Press the Root button and let it do its thing.
--- If it fails, this is what I had to do.. Reboot your phone. While it is rebooting, have the SuperOneClick program ready and waiting for you to hit Root again. As soon as the LG Logo becomes animated, hit Root and let it try again (While it is rebooting). This seemed to get the read/write options to work, where failed. This possibly is part of the update that is sticking around to stop you from rooting. So, try a few times. If/when succeeded, move on to the next steps if you wish to have some of the update 'fixes' without the update and a faster custom ROM...

To install a ROM, you need to have CWM installed.

Two methods to doing so seem to exist:

- The method I used was at this link: [RELEASE][6-14-2011] CWM Ported to the Revolution 4G! - xda-developers

Follow that and you should have a backup original image and the new image to get CWM to work to install custom ROMs

- The OTHER method, which is UNTESTED by me, is to use a simple tool called RevoToolKit, which is and APK file that runs directly on your phone. If it works, which others seem to say it does, this would be the most simple form of installing CWM to your phone. Be aware that this app is small, but uses a downloader to install CWM, so you want to make sure you have a good internet connection or data connection...

After that, you will want to follow the directions for CWM (ClockWorkMod) at this link:

- [Rom][8-17-11]Revolt Rom 1.3 - xda-developers

After all that, you should have a rooted Revo AFTER you managed to do the update.

I included links to some instructions in order to shorten up this post and not 'copy' someone else's methods and be sure that you can give the credit to them. The only credit I deserve for this is a complete step-by-step, in one place procedure to get you back or to root your Revo if you did the update.

In time, I am sure that there will be a simpler way to root the OTA Update, but until then, this is working for me and hope that this helps clear up some issues for others that find it tough to get back to root after the OTA Update.

FILE LINKS:

-- LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe
http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe

-- LG VZW_United_WHQL_v1.2.0.exe
LG Forum

-- LGNPST_Store_Lab-1.zip
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

-- VS910.dll
xda-developers - View Single Post - [GET]LG Revolution VS910 Original Firmware

-- VS910ZV4_04.S4_04.P58008.R5.user.tot
[GET]LG Revolution VS910 Original Firmware - xda-developers

-- SuperOneClickv2.1.1-ShortFuse
[APP]SuperOneClick v2.1.1 (Finally fixed!) - xda-developers (File Links are at BOTTOM of page)

-- RevoltRom1.3.zip
[Rom][8-17-11]Revolt Rom 1.3 - xda-developers (Use this link to find the download link)

PLEASE NOTE: This guide worked for me and should work for others, but I give no gaurantees. I also do not believe that this post violates any terms, so please notify me if so and I will try to redo this guide in a more complying form.

ALSO: I do not take credit for any methods from other users and tried to include the links to let you see who provided the actual methods/instructions for their credit they deserved. The only credit I am granted would be putting all such processes in a ONE-STOP-SHOP place to get things done. It worked for me, let me know how it worked for you.

When performing such operations, I have found that it did require me to attempt rooting multiple times, even having to click un-root a few times within SuperOneClick to make this work. It's possible, but not easily done to brick your phone with what I mentioned above. I did all sorts of crazy attempts to get this to work before having the step by step process that seemed to get me back to a rooted phone. Please let me know how things worked for you.

-Cybie

Cybie257

Reaction score
Any feedback from others on my method? Curios to see how it worked or if there is anything I might be able to do to clear any misunderstandings of the procedure.

-Cybie

ally3447

Reaction score
Hello. I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to root my Revolution. I know one day my fiance and I spent like 10 hours trying to root the darn thing. I just found out that it's not working since I did the update back in August. I would LOVE to try this root, but I would like to make sure that automatic software updates are disabled for any future updates.
Is there a way to turn off automatic updating? Or will this root take care of that?

Thanks.

Cybie257

Reaction score
All I can say is that I have yet to see it try any auto updates. But I also have the update set as rejected. If you download the update, the screen comes up asking you whether to update or not. Sorry I can't recall exact screens, but I know that I did come across a way to reject the updates. Also, as of now, when I try to check for new updates, it basically crashes, giving me the indication that the ROM mod isn't allowing it. So, as I see it, it's not likely that it will just try. In addition, the boot image for the modded ROM supposedly will not let the ota execute. So far things have been great with phone. Apps install much quicker, phone boots up faster, and the only issue with the ROM is that you, most of the time, need to press choose on the car dock app crashing on boot up. The car dock works fine as i use it all the time, even as I write this in my car dock right now.

Hope this helps you out.. Let me know how this works for you.

Cybie

ally3447

Reaction score
So I'm trying to download the file from megaupload... and it says that the source file cannot be read.. I have a 32 bit computer, so I wonder if that's the problem?