OTA Update 10/4/2011

Kryptyk

Reaction score
Try sbf'ing it back to unrooted. See if everything works, and if it does, make sure to check for updates. If none, and you want to root again, you should be ok.I would try that first. Either way, before you bring it back your going to want to unroot it. May just be a glitch that can be easily worked out.

wooddale

Reaction score
Just got a replacement phone today ckd updates said phone was up to date. Just activated new phone today. Maybe I got update when I activated. I have already rooted so if I did get it you can still root. Ill see if I dtop dignal then I didnt get update. So far so good.

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
Try sbf'ing it back to unrooted. See if everything works, and if it does, make sure to check for updates. If none, and you want to root again, you should be ok.I would try that first. Either way, before you bring it back your going to want to unroot it. May just be a glitch that can be easily worked out.

Ok, I will try tonight. Do you happen to know if there is any other way to unroot? I could NOT get PetesMotorolaRootTools.zip to root my phone. I constantly got an error. I had to use the D3 root for the older Windows for some reason. Although Im on Windows XP and internet 7. I hope that isnt why Im having the 3G connection issue. Since Factory resetting I get randome spurts of 3g, but not long enought to do anything or even download an app from the market.

wooddale

Reaction score
After I rooted my phone today I left the screen on the computer when I came back about an hr later there was a popup that there is software avaliable from MOTOROLA update. So I guess some thing is out there like I said I just activated my replacement phone today. So far I havent lost data since I activated and that wasnt the reason why I replaced the phone old phone just seemed to lag. New phone works like its supposed to. Maybe it got updated when I activated Ill post when I find out.

wooddale

Reaction score
Ok, I will try tonight. Do you happen to know if there is any other way to unroot? I could NOT get PetesMotorolaRootTools.zip to root my phone. I constantly got an error. I had to use the D3 root for the older Windows for some reason. Although Im on Windows XP and internet 7. I hope that isnt why Im having the 3G connection issue. Since Factory resetting I get randome spurts of 3g, but not long enought to do anything or even download an app from the market.

Did you try toogling airplane mode to get it. Thats one of the main things the update is supposed to fix.

HI_Bio_Commando

Reaction score
Your phone may have d/l'd the update, try checking with root file xplorer. Check in /cache should be an update in there and that's what is causing the check for update error message.

From my BIONIC Commander

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
Well, I've linked my no service problem to my titanium backup. Whenever i restore my apps, I lose the service. Not sure why, what who, how..

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
Are you in a fringe area either 3G or 4G?

Just a 3G area. But we have actual Verizon antennas strung through the hospital. So when I have a working, normal phone, I have full 3G service.

wooddale

Reaction score
Just a 3G area. But we have actual Verizon antennas strung through the hospital. So when I have a working, normal phone, I have full 3G service.

I live in Il but I have a cabin in Wisconsin which is in a extended service area Verizon says its 3G but I get 1X at best in the woods so I purchasd a network extender which gives me 3G sometimes. I could not activate my phoine there you have tro be on a Verizon tower not even an extended network I always loose data there need to togle airplane to get it back. Like I said in previous post that is a major issue with the bionic if it looses sig for any reason you play hell getting it back. I got a new phone today not because of that reason I am on a 4G fringe area here in Illinois it was doing the same thing long story short since I got the new phone it didnt do it once in the last 10 hrs. I rooted it and everything.

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
I live in Il but I have a cabin in Wisconsin which is in a extended service area Verizon says its 3G but I get 1X at best in the woods so I purchasd a network extender which gives me 3G sometimes. I could not activate my phoine there you have tro be on a Verizon tower not even an extended network I always loose data there need to togle airplane to get it back. Like I said in previous post that is a major issue with the bionic if it looses sig for any reason you play hell getting it back. I got a new phone today not because of that reason I am on a 4G fringe area here in Illinois it was doing the same thing long story short since I got the new phone it didnt do it once in the last 10 hrs. I rooted it and everything.

I narrowed mine down to mu TiBU.

Whenever I restored my apps and data, I lost service. So what I ended up doing was another factory reset to Clear all my apps and data. Then when I went to restore, I only restored the important stuff. Such as Angry birds (all 3 stars on every friggen level..LOL) and Vignette that has over 200 pictures on it. I could have transferred them all to my computer, but I didnt. I did that once before, and not one of my videos would play on the computer. I never checked before I cleared my sd card and lost all the vids of my baby boy. Sad day.

Since doing all that, my phone has been amazing...... loving it... still wish I had the Red River Theme and Apex ROM that my X had.... but patience is a virtue!!

But to answer the question of the OTA update, no. I never downloaded it. When I factory reset and checked, I didnt have any updates. Then I checked Root Expl. and there wasnt any updates in there eiter. I dont know what it was.... but I decided it was not that that was screwing up my phone.

wooddale

Reaction score
I narrowed mine down to mu TiBU.

Whenever I restored my apps and data, I lost service. So what I ended up doing was another factory reset to Clear all my apps and data. Then when I went to restore, I only restored the important stuff. Such as Angry birds (all 3 stars on every friggen level..LOL) and Vignette that has over 200 pictures on it. I could have transferred them all to my computer, but I didnt. I did that once before, and not one of my videos would play on the computer. I never checked before I cleared my sd card and lost all the vids of my baby boy. Sad day.

Since doing all that, my phone has been amazing...... loving it... still wish I had the Red River Theme and Apex ROM that my X had.... but patience is a virtue!!

But to answer the question of the OTA update, no. I never downloaded it. When I factory reset and checked, I didnt have any updates. Then I checked Root Expl. and there wasnt any updates in there eiter. I dont know what it was.... but I decided it was not that that was screwing up my phone.
Glad you got it going Im hearing.you about Apex still got it on my DX cant use it but still got it guess I gotta sell that phone hate to part had lots a good roms lol

Last edited:

andysly5

Reaction score
I remember that with the OG Droid, using TIBU to restore apps AND data would always screw up the phone. It took me awhile before I finally read somewhere that you should only restore apps with TIBU. Wonder if the same thing applies to the Bionic and that was causing your issues?

OP
X

xraymo3

Reaction score
I remember that with the OG Droid, using TIBU to restore apps AND data would always screw up the phone. It took me awhile before I finally read somewhere that you should only restore apps with TIBU. Wonder if the same thing applies to the Bionic and that was causing your issues?

The apps that I ended up restoring with the Data was Angry birds, Vignette and Handcent.

Doing that didnt affect my service.

I will just re dowload all my other apps that i didnt need the data from off the market.