Update phone with root?

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
So my DP received the OTA update except everytime I try to install it the phone will restart (as usual) but then it gives me an error saying the update failed. My phone was rooted using z4root, I un-rooted successfully and still get the error. Any suggestions?

StingRay

Reaction score
Did you freeze or remove any original stock apps? That is the first thing I'd check...

Also, unrooting through Z4Root sometimes still leaves some file folders that are associated with rooting or CW recovery...It's my understanding that those folders being in the system could cause a problem...

When I originally unrooted to receive the update that came out in April, the first thing I did was remove those folders using Root Explorer, then unrooted...if you unroot first you can't use Root Explorer anymore, which is necessary to remove the system folders that are created by root & CW recovery...

Using a file manager, look to see in system/bin if you still see a folder named "hijack" and/or another named "logwrapper" ...if you do then that is probably why you cannot update...you would have to use Root Explorer to delete "hijack" and "logwrapper" and then rename the file "logwrapper.bin" to "logwrapper"....once you've done that you would then have to unroot with Z4root and reboot...

there are walk thrus on how to unroot for Droid DX which you can use to unroot your Pro the same way if you have questions...

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
I do not have a folder named "hijack" or "logwrapper" just a file named "logwrapper" (not "logwrapper.bin")

Any suggestions?

StingRay

Reaction score
If you don't show "hijack" and just have the single "logwrapper" it sounds like all root/Clockwork files have been removed already...

Do you remember if you removed or froze any stock apps? Sometimes that will stop an update if those apps aren't all back in place...when I tried to update to Gingerbread I got an error because I had renamed the stock music app as a .bak file...once I renamed I was fine...

Also make sure that Bootstrapper and other "root" related apps are gone...

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
I had downloaded Root Uninstaller a while back and deleted a bunch of useless apps. Would that be the issue? I've never renamed any apps though. I would like to prevent wiping my cache and doing a factory reset, everything is backed up though so if I have to I will.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you deleted a bunch of apps that came with the phone, that's your problem. You must have all stock apps intact.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
h1br1d7heory

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
Okay, what are my options? Could I do a factory reset to save it? or am I basically stuck?

StingRay

Reaction score
You will probably need to load the 3.8.7 sbf file using RSD Lite...that will restore you to the current (non-GB) OS with all stock apps...I know the sbf file is also available on the Team Black Hat (TBH) app...

I'm a sbf novice, so not going to be much help...I'm betting hookbill can give you some guidance....:)

For future reference...once you're rooted, use Titanium Backup to "freeze" those unwanted apps...don't delete....

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL