How many Droid 3's have you had?

rygaul44

Reaction score
I got this phone on launch day and am very happy with the aesthetics of this device. Given that the software is lackluster and needs to be worked on. Nonetheless I have been very happy to have and android device with a keyboard, and wanted something close to a droid 2 and the droid 3 is just better ha. So I have had a grand total of 4 Droid 3's and am about to have a 5th, why? The first two were bad because of overheating to the point it would shut the phone off. The third one, something happened to the software and was inoperable, and now the current phone has a bad speaker for the earpiece. Does motorola normally have this bad of product control? Let me know of your experiences. thanks :)

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
What apps were you running on those things? Did you try factory resetting and not installing anything to see if the problem still occurred? Did you update PRLs? Did you set it to CDMA only mode?

OP
R

rygaul44

Reaction score
Yes, I have done all of these things even added apps one at the time but my problems were happening at random. I have been following this forum since before launch, but just recently joined :)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Still on my first Droid 3, got it July 9th (online order). This was an upgrade from my Droid which I got in February 2010. I've had no issues or need of a replacement for either.

LT*

Reaction score
I have two, and have not had to replace either one.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
One D1, one d3. No heat issues or speaker issues--yet.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I've had mine for prob almost 2 months now with no problems (knock on wood)

OP
R

rygaul44

Reaction score
well thanks for the input, I'm still waiting on getting a new phone from Verizon but hopefully will be here on monday lol I guess I just got the bad end of everything lol, hopefully I'll get good one next, if not what are the chances of getting an upgrade to the bionic?

hattrick1953

Reaction score
I bought 2 Droid 3's from VZ online and delivered 8/22. One is working fine but the other one was DOA. We took it to a Verizon store and they fiddled around with it and got it working (continually taking the battery out) but it died one week later. The problem I had was that the screen did not boot and displayed a series of horizontal gray lines. The phone also got very hot. It has been a customer service nightmare since then.

Called Tech support on the Saturday before Labor Day and after an hour they concluded that it needed to be swapped and said that we would not get it until the Tuesday after Labor Day. A no show of course.

I called back and there was no record of my call or the order in the system. They told me that I could go into a Corporate store and swap it out but no one had any in stock but since it was within the 14 day period I could pick out another phone.

After about 90 minutes at the store and a fight over a $75 restocking fee, which I had to force them to call Customer Service to waive, they were ready to turn the phone over only to find out that since it was purchased on a buy one get one free promo, the transaction would now cost me $309. No way was I going to do that. The store finally agreed to provide a loaner phone and told me that since it was now 8:30 PM, the new phone could not be shipped until the next day and I would get it in 2 days. Again a no show.

I contacted Customer Service again last night to find out the status of my phone and the customer service agent could not determine the status based on the notes in my record and asked me if she could put me on hold while they did the research. She came back after about 30 minutes and told me that the order was stuck in the system and the agent could not figure out why. After another 30 minutes, she finally found out that the phone was on back order. I asked her when the new shipment date would be and after another 15 minutes she said she had more bad news for me and I heard another voice telling her that since the phone was purchased on a buy one get one free deal, both phones would have to be returned and replaced. The second phone is being used by my daughter who is away at college, which would make it a logistics nightmare. (On a personal note, I think they make up the rules as they go along, as everyone I have been in contact with has different interpretations of the rules.) It was at this point that I asked to be escalated to her manager. After about 10 minutes, I finally spoke to the Mgr. who informed me that the phone has continuously been on back order and that it would be shipped the following Tuesday for arrival Wed or Thurs. She also informed me that I did not have to return the working phone but did not explain why this was required in the first place, only that I don't have to worry about that.

Check in next week for my next episode in the continuing saga of the Twilight Zone brought to you by Verizon Wireless. Boy am I glad I switched from Sprint.

studentbridges23

Reaction score
Droid 3 Issues

well thanks for the input, I'm still waiting on getting a new phone from Verizon but hopefully will be here on monday lol I guess I just got the bad end of everything lol, hopefully I'll get good one next, if not what are the chances of getting an upgrade to the bionic?

Mine has lasted maybe two weeks before completely shutting off, then getting warm as it seemed to completely drain the battery. Only after the battery is completely dead, and it has been removed from an hour, that MAYBE it can turn on by plugging it into a charger. Even then, it only goes up to 20 or 30%, and then shuts off again, gets real warm, drains the battery, etc.

My ISSUE is that I have voice recordings that I NEED saved on the internal memory by tape-a-talk.... Does anyone know how to go about recovering that data? Would motorola be interested in doing that for me? I can't get it to come on at all right now but if I do, the most I can do is get it into the bootloader.

Erikbal

Reaction score
Wow what a nightmare man. Keep us updated on how you make out! Good luck to you man. When I got my Droid 3 they were out of stock at the store and had to ship it to me and of course it wasn't there til the day after they said it would be and I happened to be sitting out on the front steps talking to a friend when FedEx showed up with it and I told him they told me it'd be there the day before and he said nope it was scheduled for today, then he said they're always wrong. Funny even the FedEx guy said Verizon is always wrong on their delievery dates. I can't imagine waiting as long as you did for the phone just to find out the order never even existed and you were waiting for nothing. That would be a huge disappointment.

ainsophaur321

Reaction score
I'm on my third Droid 3 now. First one I got the screen was out of alignment with the slide, so it would get all cocked out of place and take both hands to close. Got a replacement. The second one wouldn't connect to Wifi. Would start to connect then dump out. Then start trying to connect again. Third one seems fine. Hope I don't regret saying that later. :p. Verizons customer service has been great through all of this. Even took some off my bill for the inconveinence. Now Motorolas was awful. Verizon transferred me to them with the wifi issue phone. This is my first Motorola phone so this has all kinda got me gunshy now. Looking forward to better days with this droid.

davishusband

Reaction score
It was on backorder but they don't tell you because people keep getting it replaced, lol. So far I haven't had many major problems thank god. If you get a good D3 phone you will like it... I promise

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

Erikbal

Reaction score
Granted this isn't just my first Droid but my first smart phone period and I absolutely love it. The more I use it the more and more I like it. I don't think I could ever go back to a normal phone now.