Droid 3?

Prettyinpink

Reaction score
Currently, I have the Droid 1. I love it, like there really isn't much wrong with to be honest. I can live with it. Though, recently (last month) the Droid 3 was released. It seems like a really good phone, though my thing with it is, it is not 4G. I really want a 4G phone, but I want a 4G phone with a keyboard and touchscreen unlike the current 4G Phones released for Verizon. I hate only touch screen keyboards because I'm not very good on typing with them.

Back to my questions; Should I get the Droid 3 and stick with it for the two year contract OR should I wait and see if a new phone which fits my wants will come out.

I don't want to wait too long because I want to have a new phone before the school year starts and the school year starts in late August so yeah.

Should I get the Droid 3 or wait? Also, for those who have, had, or know about the Droid 3...is it good? Bad? I really want to know about the camera in the front! :D Thanks!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
It is not advisable to give up an unlimited data plan phone to get the newest and bestest just because you want an new Phone. I am waiting until something comes out that I really want, I thought I would really like the Droid 3, but the lack of root along with all the problems I have been reading about keep me on the sidelines.

Markster1

Reaction score
You don't give up the plan just because you sign a new contract.

Sent from my Incredible 2

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Currently, I have the Droid 1. I love it, like there really isn't much wrong with to be honest. I can live with it. Though, recently (last month) the Droid 3 was released. It seems like a really good phone, though my thing with it is, it is not 4G. I really want a 4G phone, but I want a 4G phone with a keyboard and touchscreen unlike the current 4G Phones released for Verizon. I hate only touch screen keyboards because I'm not very good on typing with them.

Back to my questions; Should I get the Droid 3 and stick with it for the two year contract OR should I wait and see if a new phone which fits my wants will come out.

I don't want to wait too long because I want to have a new phone before the school year starts and the school year starts in late August so yeah.

Should I get the Droid 3 or wait? Also, for those who have, had, or know about the Droid 3...is it good? Bad? I really want to know about the camera in the front! :D Thanks!

I just activated my Droid3 Wednesday night and so far have really like it. Not really enough to evaluate it thoroughly but first impressions are definitely very good.

Even though I live in a 4g area, what I use my phone for I don't really need 4g so that made the decision to get a Droid3 easy for me with the Buy One Get One free deal.

The keyboard is definitely miles ahead of the Droid1, although I also have fun playing with the swype keyboard at times.

I've been lucky as I haven't run into the reboot issues that others have, but I did follow some people's advice during setup and no try to restore anything. Redownloaded all my old apps manually which was a breeze because of how much faster they installed compared to my Droid1.

I haven't use the Front Camera much, but I have seen this video on youtube of someone else testing the Front Camera.

[video=youtube;tFP_SRoRC_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFP_SRoRC_M]‪Droid 3 front facing camera test (guitar)‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

If you have any other questions, ask away and I'll be happy to answer them the best I can.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
PinP you must be my brother/sister from another mother. I am in the EXACT same situation. Droid 1, really hating it because its slow, laggy, old. Have had it coming up on 2yrs.

Im eligible for an upgrade now, I like the Droid 3 but no 4g (and only 512mb ram, but anyway). If it had 4g Id get it today. I figure if Im going to get something why not have 4g?? And I also want a slider with keyboard because I have to wear gloves at my job and typing on touchscreen only doesnt work well with gloves on.

Why the heck didnt they put 4g in this thing???

I suppose if I go touchscreen only Im going to wait on the Bionic so I get 4g, dualcore, and 1gb ram. Although if I go touchscreen only Id really rather have the iPhone 5, but Im quite sure it wont have 4g either.

What to do...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get the Droid3. There won't be a slider with 4g for a while IMO. The components for 4g are large, so it would have added significant bulk to an already large phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Get the Droid3. There won't be a slider with 4g for a while IMO. The components for 4g are large, so it would have added significant bulk to an already large phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Im going to go look today. Im just torn what to do. Like the slider, but if you say we wont be getting a 4g slider because of the size, then I guess Ill have to go with a touchscreen only. Considering the bigger screen sizes now vs the Droid 1, the onscreen typing should be better even with gloves. The main issue on D1 is the smaller onscreen keys when I have the gloves on.

So Ive looked at the available phones that have 4g, but as far as I can tell none have dual core??

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you're looking at the bionic, it will just be like d3 but with 4g...note that it will also have a difficult time gettin root as the d3 because OS 2.3 has not been able to be rooted. Rooted 2.3 devices were simply updated and these devices came stock with it

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

howzball

Reaction score
As a Droid 3 owner I say go with it and replace the Droid 1, it's what I had to do and I don't regret it.
I think enough of us own it now that we can testify to it being a nice device whereas there's no telling what the next phone out will be like or even when that will be.
I highly doubt whatever it is it will have a physical keyboard because only the Droid line seems to have keyboards. Lack of 4g is no issue to me at all.

Think of it like the people at AT&T telling you, "yeah but you can talk and surf the internet at the same time" .......... how often has the really ever affected you? 4g will be nice but, it's no deal killer.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Think of it like the people at AT&T telling you, "yeah but you can talk and surf the internet at the same time" .......... how often has the really ever affected you? 4g will be nice but, it's no deal killer.

The talk/surf this is dumb, I have never seen that an any kind of deal breaker. But 3g vs 4g, well, IMO is a big deal. Who wouldnt want much faster web if it were available at the same price? I live in the Dallas metro area so I have 4g coverage and would like to take advantage of that

The_Rick_14

Reaction score

The talk/surf this is dumb, I have never seen that an any kind of deal breaker. But 3g vs 4g, well, IMO is a big deal. Who wouldnt want much faster web if it were available at the same price? I live in the Dallas metro area so I have 4g coverage and would like to take advantage of that

I didn't because I don't want to have to enable 4G when I want to use it and disable it when I'm not using it to make sure my phone makes it through the day. I can wait the second or two longer some things take for that convenience.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own opinion on it and everyone uses their devices differently.

LT*

Reaction score

I didn't because I don't want to have to enable 4G when I want to use it and disable it when I'm not using it to make sure my phone makes it through the day. I can wait the second or two longer some things take for that convenience.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own opinion on it and everyone uses their devices differently.

This is the same situation I'm in. I have 4G available, but for the amount of time I would be able to use it when I'm away from wifi didn't justify not getting the D3. Plus, the battery issues with 4G devices worry me. I'll wait until they can improve on size and battery usage with the 4G devices before jumping in. Plus, the D3 renders pages very fast, so it's a perceived increase in speed anyway.

Cashiuus

Reaction score
I was almost in the same situation as the OP 3 weeks ago when I walked into my local Verizon store, except I prefer to NOT have 4g. I have a Droid, and I upgraded to the Droid 3. I tried to return this new phone 4 days after I bought it because I was highly disappointed in its lack of processing power improvement over the original Droid. Perhaps a future version of the OS will increase the gap. Verizon wouldn't let me return it because I threw away the box thinking I would love the phone. A few comments:

Positives:
1. Better keyboard, numerals have their own row
2. Slightly faster processing and less lag installing apps
3. Connecting to computer has 3 modes and works much better
4. Android 2.3 has a great look n feel

Negatives:
1. Unable to tether now w/o paying $20/mth service fee
2. Processing power is barely noticeable over orig Droid
3. Videocamera glitches badly if you lock/unlock phone
4. Default storage is internal memory (explained below)
5. No physical camera button on phone, hate having to rely on screen button to start/stop record
6. Camera pictures often show up blurry, have to use flash everytime

Major issue: It has been 3 weeks and the phone physically stopped working, leaving me stranded 20 hrs from home with no phone. 5 days with no phone is a nightmare when trying to coordinate assignments and a work project in an area with limited internet access. This also meant that since my data was stored internally it is not unretrievable and lost forever (app data, pics, vids, files). Verizon determined it is not the battery and is sending me a new droid 3 in the mail. I am sending this reply from my Droid 1!

Summary: If you tether, don't upgrade because there aren't enough benefits. If I were to do it all again I would have saved my money for something better. If you do get one, immediately install a microSD card to store data you intend on keeping.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I was highly disappointed in its lack of processing power

Dual core 1gz is barely noticable over 500mhz?? While I dont have a D3 I find that hard to imagine.

I picked up a Droid Charge yesterday and can say that while the 4g is nice I am REALLY missing the keyboard already. When I first got the D1 I hated the keyboard, said it was unusable/worthless. But over time I forced myself to use it and eventually thats all I used, rarely used the virtual keyboard.

Lack of an led indicator light on the Charge is very annoying. I just assumed that was stock on all android phones. Nope. There is an app that will flash an icon on your sleeping display to indicate new messages/missed calls/etc. Using that for now, but I have a feeling this phone will be going back within 30 days. Especially with the Bionic on the horizon.

km75

Reaction score
I've never owned a D1 so I can't speak on it. I have owned a D2 and I can tell you there is MOST DEFINITELY a noticeable increase across the board with the D3 with regards to speed. Also tethering w/o the $20 vzw fee IS available. You just have to know where to look. I have free tethering right now on my D3. And I'm not the only one.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited: