How is your call quality?

Kevinb84

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just trying to see if my issue warrants a trip to Verizon tomorrow. I picked up my Droid on launch day and literally every person I've talked to with the exception of my mother has told me that I sound like ****. My wife says that it sounds like I'm a robot. As lovely as it would be for Motorola to include a voice synthesizer, I don't think this is the case.

Let me know if you've had the problem or not. Every review I've read says the phone had "great" call quality.

Thanks,
-Kevin

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
have you tried to update the programming on the phone or update the cell towers?

OP
K

Kevinb84

Reaction score
I did not, Im doing that right now and will post back with my results tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Kevin

seaman

Reaction score
I think that the Droid has great call clarity, better than most phones I've used. And when I was talking to my dad, he told me that the call clarity was better on his end as well.

a73

Reaction score
mine has a bit of static/ crackle that I hear in the background, though people I'm talking to say the quality is great. I didn't have this problem with my previous Verizon dumb phone in the same calling areas. I updated the software/towers and it didn't help. Will likely take it back to the Verizon store today to swap it out. Of note, phonearena.com had a similar experience with their test unit when they did their review of the Droid

tablatronix

Reaction score
Mine sounds pretty good, but it does have some kind of digital compression sounding mumbles on it wihch is very annoying. Even with silence i hear some kind of dac or dsp artifacts from the earpiece.

MelWright

Reaction score
I just got mine last night, but I have no issues at all with hearing or being heard! It's a heck of alot clearer than my previous phone!

jjb2

Reaction score
People sound great on my end, but a lot of people say i sound muffled on their end. Pretty annoying always repeating myself.

txskeets

Reaction score
I get the same thing on mine...some kind of static background noise when I am on calls. Wonder if I should swap this out at VZW.

moparharn

Reaction score
How do you update the towers /phone?

Any help would be appreciated. Is it like *69 or something like that? I had to make two three calls from a land line today because the other peson complained of a bad echo from he Droid. I could hear nothing.

Last edited:

sir

Reaction score
haven't had issues yet. no one's complained about issues. but maybe that's because they didn't mind not hearing what i had to say? :(

pakitloss

Reaction score
My workmate has the same phone as me and he always sounds muffled. In his case I think it is the silicone phone cover.

JoeyNWZ

Reaction score
My call clarity is great, but I always immediatly turn of voice privacy when I get a new pda/smartphone... I feel that it degrades the quality quite a bit.

You can turn it off by going to menu -> Call Settings and unchecking voice privacy.

cjdroid

Reaction score
Annoying Echo

I've gotten complaints from those calling me that they get a terrible reverb/echo when they speak into their phones. They sound fine to me and I sound fine to them. They just can't stand hearing themselves echoing when they speak into their phones. I'm suspecting, though I have yet to confirm, that this phenomenon might have to do with the Voice Privacy "enchanced privacy mode". I'm turning it "off" for now. Any thoughts are appreciated...