How is your call quality?

windstrings

Reaction score
I've been running mine in EVRC-B mode every since the update because thats what worked best before the update.... I haven't tried the normal EVRC mode since the update.

ride105

Reaction score
I noticed that the last post on this topic was 12/15. My wife and I both got new Droids the first of Feb. and used them for 29 days. The voice quality was okay some time (but not great). At other times the voice quality was very muffled. It was about 50/50 for both our phones. We returned them on the 29th day ($70 restocking fee for 2). The salesperson at Verizon said he had heard of no complaints concerning voice quality on the Droid. We went back to our old flip phones with great qualilty--but they're dumb phones and I miss the smart stuff. We did have the plastic cases on them, but they didn't seem to be in the way of the microphone. Anyone have any latest thoughts on poor, muffled voice quality? Did we just get defective phones? thanks

Reaction score
I noticed that the last post on this topic was 12/15. My wife and I both got new Droids the first of Feb. and used them for 29 days. The voice quality was okay some time (but not great). At other times the voice quality was very muffled. It was about 50/50 for both our phones. We returned them on the 29th day ($70 restocking fee for 2). The salesperson at Verizon said he had heard of no complaints concerning voice quality on the Droid. We went back to our old flip phones with great qualilty--but they're dumb phones and I miss the smart stuff. We did have the plastic cases on them, but they didn't seem to be in the way of the microphone. Anyone have any latest thoughts on poor, muffled voice quality? Did we just get defective phones? thanks

Its a funny thing you said that because I notice similar results with my Droid too. I was thinking about the performance of my previous phone (Motorola Maxx Ve) and that phone always had great sound quality and reception, better than the Droid does. I guess its just the phone..

BuckeyeHD

Reaction score
I believe its the phones design. If you think about it, most flip phones put the microphone clear of your face, nearer your mouth. You can mitigate the slight "muffled" sound from a Droid by holding the phone in different positions. Try leaving yourself VMs, use the speaker too, you'll be amazed at the different quality you can get. For me, the other advantages of the phone outweigh the slight muffled sound on occaision.

windstrings

Reaction score
I believe its the phones design. If you think about it, most flip phones put the microphone clear of your face, nearer your mouth. You can mitigate the slight "muffled" sound from a Droid by holding the phone in different positions. Try leaving yourself VMs, use the speaker too, you'll be amazed at the different quality you can get. For me, the other advantages of the phone outweigh the slight muffled sound on occaision.

If I try to hold the phone with my shoulder and talk with no hands it always muffled... you have to keep your mouth close by.

slinky

Reaction score
The overwhelming majority seem to say the same - the speaker is faint and sounds small and hollow, like one of those old earphones. Speakerphone is as great as ear speaker is lousy.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
People were complaining fairly often about my voice echoing or muffling. I researched and here's my solution:

1) REBOOT AT LEAST EVERY 3 DAYS
2) hold the phone right side up & speak into the mic
3) got rid of my bodyglove case--don't know if this helped
4) if anyone complains about echoing and can't hear you just toggle speakerphone on and off. Reboot when done with the call.

I haven't tried messing with the phone's settings or turning off privacy. I've read many comments about that not working. Vote for this issue at google code by "starring" it. See the links in my sig below.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I played around with two Droid's and also tested the call quality from Droid to Droid . I noticed that is very important to keep this phone in a correct position , any variation will muffle your voice . First of , don't cover with your finger the second noise cancellation microphone from the back of the phone , second keep the phone as close as posible to your mouth , not in a vertical or horizontal position or away from you face . I noticed that a lot of people hold their phones in a vertical position , this is how you get the worst sound from this phone .

twmac

Reaction score
will try the above

my call quality sucks. it sounds tinny and there is almost always an echo.. very irritating for a $600 phone

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Call quality is impacted by your location. There are some locations where it will be great and some where it is normally bad. Much of that has to do with the tower you're on, and it's modulation settings.

Remember, cell phones are radios and are subject to the repeater settings on each tower they go through. Echo is part of that problem. Normally, if there is significant echo, disconnecting the call and recalling will fix it.

windstrings

Reaction score
The EVRC-B vocodec does sound fuller and more solid.

But the only time I get complaints is If I have the phone on my shoulder trying to hold it by tilting my head so my hands are free...hence poor positioning.... otherwise its great.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed too I could be hearing other people more clearly when I'm talking over my droid. Perhaps being aware of my positioning of holding the phone and not always using it in the basement would help. But even talking in my living room or upstairs bedroom it can still sound muffled, and I'll be saying "what, repeat that??" over and over again and I feel like an idiot. >_<

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I played around with two Droid's and also tested the call quality from Droid to Droid . I noticed that is very important to keep this phone in a correct position , any variation will muffle your voice . First of , don't cover with your finger the second noise cancellation microphone from the back of the phone , second keep the phone as close as posible to your mouth , not in a vertical or horizontal position or away from you face . I noticed that a lot of people hold their phones in a vertical position , this is how you get the worst sound from this phone .
I tend to do that a bit cuz I dont wanna grease up my screen with my cheeks 0__0

windstrings

Reaction score
You can also Go to menu > settings > call settings and turn off voice privacy. Quite often this causes an echo for someone else on the other line. <Screenshot>

bradford88

Reaction score
Okay i had the issue of the distant end hearing me as muffled. but I had wifi on at the time (i just migrated from the iphone, got out of 6 months of contract without an ETF haha) evidently on CDMA when wifi is on, then 3g is disabled and all the data traffic rides over wifi. i know 3g is for data but i wonder if that has anything to do with the problem. i haven't had a chance to make a phonecall while my wifi was disabled yet. That's just my two cents. I doubt it is a solution, but at least it is a suggestion.